Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

8313 rockwood floor buckling

I purchased this 2007 Rockwood 8313 a few months ago. I noticed the floor seems to be bulging and it seems to getting worse. When I say bulging, I don't mean just a bit unlevel or bouncy, but 5/8 inch tall bulges over a 4' length that rolls throughout the the camper. Enough the linoleum is lifting off the floor in the valleys. No, it isn't soft, I can't make the bulges go down.

It seems to be a bit worse than I remember it being when I bought it.

I pulled the bottom covering off the camper to look at the cross members, In the area that is the worst, the floor is bowing up off one of the cross member by 5/8 of an inch right where the bulge is on the inside. I can stick my fingers between the cross member and the floor. Where the floor is level, the floor sits on top of the crossmembers like expected.

So, what is causing this! what can I do about it, it is quite noticeable, even one of the slides seems to be rubbing funny on these humps when I slide the slideouts in.

I am the 2nd owner so I'm out of warranty. I know I can't afford to replace the floor myself. I wonder if Forest River would be willing to help out.

Some pics:
Click here for pics on Picasa Web

davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

Any input? anyone seen anything like this?

I emailed FR, they basically said it may be caused by over-flexing of the frame (I doubt that's the issue with this one, seems like the laminated floor is just bowing), and since I'm the 2nd owner, they really couldn't help me out.

David
Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

Sorry David, wished I had something for ya. I'm at a loss. Never experienced it before.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #4

Ya, I don't know either, haven't seen this before.

Thought I had made a good purchase, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any .....

Family and I do enjoy using it though, just hope it doesn't break in half or something, ha.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl340 View Post
Ya, I don't know either, haven't seen this before.

Thought I had made a good purchase, if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any .....

Family and I do enjoy using it though, just hope it doesn't break in half or something, ha.
I would find an independant RV repair facility (not an RV dealer) that does work like that and ask a few questions, show them your pictures and get an idea of how they would fix it. If you feel up to tackling it and your handy with tools then you can probably figure it out, otherwise they can give you an estimate.

Glad to see you are at least still having fun with it despite your troubles and keeping your sense of humor.

"woe, dispair and agony on me"
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Any signs the floor has been wet?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #7

No, don't any signs of water damage. Perhaps the frame is twisted a bit? doubt it, but it is possible. Sure does seem as if the laminated foam floor simply bowing up off the crossmember by 5/8 inch to me.

I do know I won't buy an ultra-light again. I'll get something a bit more heavy duty next time, frame is really thin material. The 3500 lb axles and 15" C tires on this thing are maxed to the limit. I am impressed with the roominess of the unit though.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #8

Maybe try some good adhesive glue like liquid nails and weigh done the section which is bowing until the glue sets.

Just a thought
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #9

Opps....sorry. Just looked at the pics again. Bowing in the wrong direction for that.

A bit perplexing I agree.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #10

Did you put the level on the frame? Might tell you if its the issue.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #11

Kind of hard to get a straight on look at the frame with all the slide mechanisms and under belly covering on this thing.

What is strange, the bowed up area is solid, jumping up and down on it doesn't make it bow back down hardly, don't think any normal amount of weight would make it lay flat by 5/8 of an inch.

The floor in this is like 3" thick sandwiched foam, so it flexes slightly under my weight as the top layer flexes some, but structurally it is pretty solid, that's what has me confused, it would be different if was bouncy or moved under my feet, but it doesn't.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Buckling or bowed Floor!

From photograph #2, it looks like someone was asleep on the job when the unit was being built. There are slotted holes in the frame for lag bolts.
I only see one at the cross member. I would attempt to add lag bolts with large washers gradually all along the frame, try by pulling the floor back down. Do not attempt to pull floor with only one bolt but with several gradually. You may have to drill more holes to help in pulling the floor down. For me it would be worth a try, time consuming. I would talk to a RV repair, show the pictures, pick their brain. I doubt the trailer Mfg would admit they did not put in enough lag bolts. Their conversation after you hang up would probably go like this, "Crap, ole Rufus must have taken a restroom break when the assembly of the floor was being attached" better
talk to Rufus about it, but don't admit it to the owner!

When the floor was made (glued together), some of the ply wood could have been wet and is drying out, or do you live in a high humid area?

PS: Maybe you can get a group of your buddies to stand on the floor close together to help in pulling the floor back down.

Sid & HRH Daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #13

Ya, on the front crossmember under the bed, the floor lays flat on top of the crossmember and that seems to be the way it is supposed to be.

Does anyone else's Rockwood ultra light have lag bolts going through the crossmembers? Could someone look and tell me? (or course those w/o under belly coverings)

Daisy, thanks for the input.

I may have a connection at BerryLand camper's I'll call and see if can give me some info.

I just wish FR would glance at the pics and give me some advice. When I emailed them, I don't think they even looked at the pics.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Ya, on the front cross-member under the bed, the floor lays flat on top of the cross-member and that seems to be the way it is supposed to be.

Does anyone else's Rockwood ultra light have lag bolts going through the cross-members? Could someone look and tell me? (or course those w/o under belly coverings)

Daisy, thanks for the input.

I may have a connection at BerryLand camper's I'll call and see if can give me some info.

I just wish FR would glance at the pics and give me some advice. When I emailed them, I don't think they even looked at the pics.
I've had the underbelly down on 3 Rockwood trailers, including my own. In fact, I have to underbelly removed on mine at the moment(installing tanks rinser on each tank). I have not seen the floors lag bolted to the floor joist(cross-member) on any of them. That's not to say lag bolts won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I would attempt to add lag bolts with large washers gradually all along the frame, try by pulling the floor back down. Do not attempt to pull floor with only one bolt but with several gradually. You may have to drill more holes to help in pulling the floor down. For me it would be worth a try, time consuming.

Sid & HRH Daisy
I would try what DAISY BOYKIN suggest.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #15

There is one thing that I would be worried about with lag bolts: The foam floor sandwich is made from like a 3/8 ply top layer and a thin 1/4" thick plywood bottom layer with about 3" of foam between from what I remember. Don't think there is anything of substance for a lag bolt to bite into until it hits the top layer of plywood, and by then there would be lag bolt poking through the top of the floor :-)

I'm sure I can figure something out.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #16

I just now double checked my trailer.
The floor is resting on the cross members, no bolts or screws. It was 102° today and all is well.
I realize the composition of the flooring, but trying anything is better than what you have now.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #17

milzat: thanks for braving the heat today and looking. I appreciate it. It was a hot one today.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
milzat: thanks for braving the heat today and looking. I appreciate it. It was a hot one today.
Thanks.

I couldn't have made the day without my favorite adult beverage.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #19

Been a while, at Gulf State Park at the moment, noticed one of the cabinet doors is getting hard to close due to the floor bulging up. I emailed Forest River with no useful result. Am I the only one with a Rockwood ultralight with this problem? I just find that hard to believe.

If anyone knows of an honest, expert level RV shop that could not waste my time, who knows RV frames and this sandwich style floor, please let me know.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #20

David, is the floor bulging down the center of the whole camper, obviously except where cabinets and such are resting on it?
If it seems like the floor is lifting up as a unit, I almost suspect the wood flooring under your vinyl is swelling due to humidity, and that would cause it to rise up. Is it plywood or OSB under your vinyl?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote