Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

A&E Power Awnings

Anybody have issues with these yet?
I started crabbing about mine 4-5 months ago. The ground around here finally got firm enough for me to move the TT. I brought it to the dealer, they confirmed it there is a problem.( Does not extend far enough) They told me that A&E and Forest River do not have a solution to fix the problem yet but when they do it will get done. I asked the dealer if I was the only one so far with them with this concern and they said no, there has been others too.

Joel
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

We have a Flagstaff 831FKBSS on order and are worried about the power awning also. Did you get any manuels with the awning? I heard that they come with a 3 year warrenty? Did you read that in the manuel anywhere?

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

A&E Awning

I have a 2008 Georgetown with an A&E awning. I've tested it a few times and the only problem was that the right side arm would stick while the awning was extending. It worked fine the other day. Had no issues with the extension problem you mention. Did this happen from the start or did it appear after you used it for awhile?
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Yes, it came with a couple of manuels. I coudlnt tell ya offhand what is entailed of or how long the warranty is. Being mine is a 2008 831krss..its defitaly under warranty and it`s not right! These awnings are going to be a definite problem since you cannot pitch them to aid in water runoff.

Joel
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I have a 2008 Georgetown with an A&E awning. I've tested it a few times and the only problem was that the right side arm would stick while the awning was extending. It worked fine the other day. Had no issues with the extension problem you mention. Did this happen from the start or did it appear after you used it for awhile?
The trailer has never been camped in yet. I bought it right before the winter season. Since the delivery of the unit was done inside..their wasn`t enough room to extend the awning. When we got it home to do a `full` open to show it, i noticed the problem. The following weekend i went back to the dealer to ask questions but the tech i was talking too wasnt too sure. I let the owner know i`d be back in the spring..no problems! We...well I am usualy at the dealership once a week anyway.
I just hope the factory doesnt drag their feet too long on the soultion to the fix. Personally I would like it replaced with the power tilting one!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #6

New to this forum and new to Forest River. We just purchased a 2009 Sierra 291RL to replace our 1971 Westwind...big step up! We just took it out for the first time last weekend and discovered that we could not tilt the power awning when it started raining. What a disaster! Just hoping someone has some advise for us on if it can be tilted or what we could do. Also, when we put the awning up, the front arm does not close up flush with the trailer like the rear arm does. We had the dealer come look at it and he pulled the awning material towards the back and that seemed to be only a temporary fix. After camping this weekend, it is back out again.
Other than that, we love it!
westie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

When we placed the order for our Rockwood 8280SS we asked for (and got!) a manual awning. It's a Dometic. It's also blue which doesn't match the browns and golds on the rest of the trailer at all. Hmmm? We picked up the 5th wheel July 5th, and are happy with the awning, although being new to this I was mildly surprised at the amount of effort required to put out a manual awning and understand why an electric would appeal to some, like those with bad backs or arthritis in their hands.

I still think I'm happy with a manual because of the fexibilty and lack of something else to go wrong.

Summary of above ramble: If you want a manual awning and are willing to order and wait, then you can still get them.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #8

awning

our 08 rockwood has the power awning and every campground
weve been to so far we have been the envy of others.
i love it and will never be without it again!
HOWIE BEDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #9

We have 09 Sandpiper TT. The One Touch awning has adjustments on each arm that allow you to pitch the awning when it rains.
delphi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #10

Where are the adjustments? I have been all over this thing and can not find any adjustments.
SwensonBarrettBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #11

the power awning on my 2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS has an adjustment on just one side...near the rear door...much rather would have had it on the front side...as when you set the awning to have the rear lower...the rear door rubs on the canopy when you open the door...duh...might look into seeing how hard it would be to change it around and put the adjustment arm on the front someday...
glalderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #12

On mine each arm has a black dial that you can turn to loosen the adjustment bar. After you loosen it you can then raise and lower the end to allow water to run off. I would take a picture of it but the trailer is at the campground now. Sorry.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #13

Is it a manual awning or push button awning go out type?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #14

It's a push button automatic awning. In the SP302BHD, the switch is built into the entertainment center and is located on the right side when you walk in the door.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glalderman View Post
the power awning on my 2008 Flagstaff 831RLSS has an adjustment on just one side...near the rear door...much rather would have had it on the front side...as when you set the awning to have the rear lower...the rear door rubs on the canopy when you open the door...duh...might look into seeing how hard it would be to change it around and put the adjustment arm on the front someday...
There is also available a little "roller thingy" that attaches to the door. A little wheel makes contact with the awning and reduces wear from the door dragging across the awning fabric. Under $5.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #16

"roller thingy"

technical term eh Wade??
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
"roller thingy"

technical term eh Wade??
Yep. Look it up for yourself in the "MicroSoft Technical Support Guide for English as Second Language Customer Service Personel"

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #18

Delphi94

Could you please take pictures of the adjustment knobs and post them. Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #19

Just a little input, while at the RV show in Hershey we looked at the V-Cross by Forest River. This is an up-scale Forest River product so we were told. The power awning that comes standard is an A&E as well, but it can be fully adjusted from both sides just like a manual awning can. The other thing I noticed is that the Rockwood models have lower roofs then the V-Cross and on my Rockwood with having a rear lounge I have to keep my awning fully extended over the rear door so that I don't scrape the awning, but I can adjust the front part of the awning for water run off. With having a low roof the doors are closer to the awning and adjustments are minimal.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #20

Power Awning

Just bought a Wildwood 292FKDS, it has the power awning. During the walk through the technician explained that the awning should be retracted during rain storms or moderate-heavy winds. This was after my wife asked how to lower one side to allow rain run off. Not retracting during winds or rain could void the warranty. This didn't make much sense, because I thought the purpose of the awning was to shade from rain or sun. We haven't take the camper out yet (we're going this weekend) but will keep you informed.
GaFishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning