Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

A/C capacitors

Can anyone out there tell me what brand of air conditioning unit was used in 2001 on a forest river Cedar Creek fifth wheel. I’m trying to find the capacitors for it but not having any luck
Dumbdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Capacitors have a rating stamped on them. i.e. 5uf370 you can use the same rated capacitor by any maker. Size and shape can be an issue though. Any refrigeration or motor supplier would be able to match them.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

I hope this is the right place to post this but my RV is a 42‘9“ camper and I’m in Odessa Texas and it’s just not cooling well at all. Can anyone tell me how to check to see if I need to add Freon to both ACs? The guy who had it before me bought it brand new and had the AC serviced last year about this time and they put saddles on the AC lines so more Freon could be added. Does anyone know the poundage it should be at? Also will the Freon from autozone be ok to put in it?
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this but my RV is a 42‘9“ camper and I’m in Odessa Texas and it’s just not cooling well at all. Can anyone tell me how to check to see if I need to add Freon to both ACs? The guy who had it before me bought it brand new and had the AC serviced last year about this time and they put saddles on the AC lines so more Freon could be added. Does anyone know the poundage it should be at? Also will the Freon from autozone be ok to put in it?

One more quick thing the thermostat is set at 68 and it’s 88° in the camper. One AC unit is a 15,000 BTU and the other is a 13,500 BTU
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Jeff you may get more response if you start your own thread with a different description of your question.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
The type of refrigerant is dependent on what the manufacturer designed it for.
Freon is actually a brand not type. I doubt that R134A is used in the A/C units on your camper, most likely R410, R407 or R22. Saddle valves unfortunately leak over time IMHO. I only use them to tie and and recover the gas and install brazen in access ports after. My suggestion is get a technician to check it out. You can measure the supply air temp and return air temp and there should be a 20-30 degree diferrence (i.e. 88 return minus 60 supply = 28 degree diff)
Most refrigerants beside r134A you need a certification to purchase and aren't cheap.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

I cannot understand a "quality" a/c person installing clamp on saddles as a permanent solution(as mentioned). The only exception would be a customer refusing to pay to do it correctly...and that opens other discussions. I would also verify they are actually there. These systems are hermetically sealed and "do not" leak so no refrigerant is to be added. Leaks generally "total" the unit. FWIW i was taught 18-22 deg across the evaporator.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I cannot understand a "quality" a/c person installing clamp on saddles as a permanent solution(as mentioned). The only exception would be a customer refusing to pay to do it correctly...and that opens other discussions. I would also verify they are actually there. These systems are hermetically sealed and "do not" leak so no refrigerant is to be added. Leaks generally "total" the unit. FWIW i was taught 18-22 deg across the evaporator.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	173963
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote