Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Exclamation AC trips circuit breaker

Turned on A/C for the first time in my new 2011 Forest River 26BHS. The air started to spool up, but then the circuit breaker tripped. I reset it, tried again with same results 3 times. I also checked the 7.5 AMP fuse and it was not blown. The system works fine when just the "fan" is running with no A/C, but the A/C seems to trip the circuit breaker! Also, only one fan speed (low) operates even though the control panel has a "high" fan setting also. I cannot believe this! How are we supposed to camp in the summertime, especially in the desert at 115 degrees??? If any ideas, would appreciate them.
gpdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, let's start with what are you plugged in to? Is it a 30 amp circuit? What else do you have running on electric, fridge, water heater? Not sure what fuse you checked, as most AC units are controlled by a circuit breaker, which you said kept tripping. It is either an AC problem, or more than likely caused by low voltage. If you are plugged in a house style outlet, and using an adapter, you can never run the AC or the microwave with that set up. Also should not have the water heater on electric that way either. Measure your voltage at one of the wall plugs, and watch the meter as the AC comes on, below 110 volts, is trouble. Below 100 volts, shut everything down fast.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

Windrider, you are correct...LOW VOLTAGE was causing this. The problem was I was plugged into my household electric system, which is not 30 AMP! This was causing the CB to trip. I have confirmed this also with the dealer. The dealer says that other problems may clear up when I connect to 30 AMP at an RV park. Thanks!
gpdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

I made one of these and can confirm that if I run my A/C, water heater and fridge the circuit trips at the campground we are currently at. Not a deal breaker, but good to know. Now I just wait for the hot water to heat up, then turn on the A/C and have ZERO issues.

I attached the link I used for my little tester since I heard about "some" parks having faulty wiring and to share with those that have never seen it

30-amp RV outlet Tester
2011 Surveyor 304
g0tr00t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker