Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

Actuator motor runs but doesn’t lift

We just bought a 2020 Rockwood a214hw, we have camped once with no problems. Now when we try to raise the roof, the motor runs but it is engaging the lift. My husband is handy if he has some direction but this is totally new to him and I can find any troubleshooting that doesn’t involve motor failure. Any ideas?
Deliza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #2

We did notice this “stuff” but have no idea if it is indicative of a problem or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAE160D6-3F40-4842-8660-0E5724A59F37.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	252214  
Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #3

Please move this thread to the A-frame forum.

Lift motor issues in A-frames are like wheels up landings in airplanes - if you don't have an issue now, you will sooner or later.

There are 2 possibilities for the motor to run without lifting:
  • the drive is "stripped" - the lift shaft is not extending/retracting when the motor runs. I don't know that that can be fixed without replacing the entire assembly.
  • the strut is extending/retracting when the motor runs but one end or the other of the lift assembly is not pinned correctly. There is a threaded stud on the roof frame that the upper end of the lift strut fits on, with a 14mm acorn retaining nut (at least on my A-frame). There is another stud at the bottom where the bottom end mounts. Again, a 14mm acorn retaining nut holds the lift assembly on the stud.
The usual failure mode of the lift motor/strut is for water/dirt to enter into the top of the drive where the strut extends/retracts. This gums up the gears, overloads the motor, and the motor gives out.

If you do a search in the A-frame forum, you will see a variety of work-arounds attempted. Replacing the lift assembly and motor is one of the more common, but costs over $200 each time once your one year warranty is up. Replacement is easy though, take off the 2 retaining nuts, unplug the old unit, and remove.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

I was able to order the entire assembly for $195. It should be here in a few days!
Old 04-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #5

Thank you for your help Fred. At the risk of sounding tech illiterate, and would happily move the thread if I could figure out how
Old 04-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

Fred thinks that you have an A-frame camper... he is asking that the forum mods move your thread to the A-frame forum where A-frame owners would see it faster and provide answers. You posted in General Tech and repair, which while NOT WRONG, but nowhere is the type of trailer referenced so most of us are left guessing.

Do you in fact have a A-frame trailer? I thought you might have a popup camper and the motor was used to raise to roof of the popup. I was not aware that A-frame trailers had motorized lifts, but maybe they do.

At any rate, $195 for a new assembly is not outrageous, and by fixing your own trailer you will gain knowledge of how the old one failed and be in a better position to help others with a similar problem.

Maybe you can take pictures of your fix while actually performing the service and post them in a new thread to help others do this same service if necessary.

ANy way please keep everyone posted of your progress.

Roger

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #7

Thanks Roger! That explains why I couldn’t figure it out . I do state the year and model in my initial post, but not in the title. That makes very good sense to move it, of course! At any rate, yes, the rockwood a214hw is an a-frame, and I knew the actuators were a problem going in, but most of the time I see the motors shooting craps, rather than gears ( my husband did find water in there, so it was a matter of time on that!). I would be happy to take pictures. It looks very straight forward. As 20 year tent campers, we know how to cope with those issues; camper problems have their own learning curve!

Tags
lift