Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Add-A-Room install modification

I have an Add-A-Room that I am about to install and the instructions call for screwing the so called "Common sense" twistlock fasteners to the TT wall. I don't want to to drill through the walls, mostly 1/16" fiberglass and 1/8" plywood on foam, of my TT more than I absolutely have to and I was thinking of replacing the "Common sense" twistlock fasteners with self adhesive velcro. I figure the velcro will hold well enough to attach the walls of the room to the fiberglass surface of the TT.

Anyone see any major downsides to this idea???
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

I think that's a pretty good idea. Honestly, though, those common sense fasteners aren't under all that much stress, and I think they're more apt to pull out of an aluminum sided trailer. You have 1/4" plywood behind the fiberglass, and you might get lucky & hit some structure.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3

We bought the Patty O' Room for our 5th wheel, it attaches to the power awning and we had the dealer install it for us (It is covered by the warranty on the trailer because the dealer installed it). They used the twistlock attachment and put silicon under each twistlock. They also recommended the heavy duty velcro where necessary.

We had an add-a-room on our previous tent trailer, and it used velcro exclusively. I had to replace the velcro every 3rd year to keep it fresh, and to replace the parts which were under the trailer and prone to road debris. The Patty O' Room comes in 3', 6' and 8' panels and also has the ability to use a screen door instead of a zipper. We loved the add-a-room on our tent trailer, and insisted on one for our 5th. With the awning, ours will be 8' wide by 20' long.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote