RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #81

I live in Central Texas. The problem could be as simple as bad breaker or it could be bad compressor. This is a take to dealer or contact manufacturer of ac for repair. There are many independent repair services that are authorized repair centers for various brands. I would contact ac manufacturer first.
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #82

I just realized you said you're also on an extension cord. Backyard pedestal plus extension cord is a recipe for under voltage. This can damage other things including your new AC if not corrected. You could confirm this immediately if you're able to tow the unit to a nearby Campground and plug into their power. If your breaker doesn't trip the problem is the backyard setup.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #83

What you have is a piggy back breaker. They can be found at any big box store like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. Replace it with a new one. It is not uncommon to have a brand new circuit breaker that fails. I had the same issue in my 2019 unit. I had the same pair on my breaker as you, AC and CONV. My issue was that the converter started tripping more and more. I replaced the breaker with the same amperage and all my false trips went away.
jstenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #84

I can't check my camper but unless I misread the post I suspect the circuits are reversed. AC should be on the 20A breaker. 15A is more than enough for the converter.

-- Chuck
Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #85

Do you have a surge protector? If you don’t, you should. Be sure to get the best you can afford. You want it tripping because of a brown put instead of ruining your appliances. We have the Hughes autoformer so it will boost a low situation.
Also, since you have a new trailer and might not know make sure that the pedestal switch is off before plugging in the cord.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #86

Same happened to me ......

Back in May, on our first trip out this season in our FR Surveyor, (30 amp), the breaker on the water heater kept tripping. I tried all sorts of tests, but couldn't solve the problem. Resorted to just using the propane. Before our next trip out in July I decided to take the breaker out one more time, but it still tested ok. Upon replacing it I went out of my way to tighten the wires in the connector block to the most tension I could muster. They couldn't be any tighter. Ever since then we haven't had any problem whatsoever. It seems that although I tried all of the recommended tests on the circuit et al. the fix was much more simple than that. We're away at the moment in the Surveyor and haven't had any repeat. Of course these trailers certainly get rattled around on their journeys. I'm sure that's what happened with our breaker. Ever since I've made a point of tightening cables into the connector blocks on a regular basis.
Jake733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #87

We have the same issue on very hot days(90+degree days) When the compressor first kicks on, it trips the breaker. After shutting off the A/C and resetting the breaker, Its fine. They sell a capacitor kit for this to suppress the initial surge! This is for a Dometic A/C unit...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #88

We had this happen to us two years ago. I asked a camping friend what he thought and he came by to look. Turned out, the campground we were at had decades old electrical infrastructure. Our friend looked at our surge protector and pointed out that it was showing insufficient volts coming into our camper. The campground was full and everyone was running a/c. Simply put, the campground couldn’t keep up with the demand. In “off” hours, it would work fine.
Dtpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:35 AM   #89

AC Tripping breaker

Do you have a 15 K unit and it is tripping the 20 breaker in the panel? Was it a hot day when you first turned it on?

15 K AC is famous for this, the manufacture offers what they call is a Soft Start option for these units, very simple to install with basic electrical knowledge or can be installed by the dealer. The start current is just too close to the breaker limits and causes this, not a mal function but still a problem.
garyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #90

First I must say that I have never worked on an RV AC. I have repaired residential systems. On a resi system there are two issues that usually cause the system to pull too much amperage: 1) a faulty kick capacitor (don't know if these RV AC units have them) 2) a low refrigerant condition which causes the compressor to work too hard to pull the low pressure side.

The third, which you don't see on new systems, is a faulty compressor. Again, I have never worked on a RV AC system.

So you may need a tech with a little HVAC experience.

Good luck, please let us know how you made out.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!)
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 206K For Pulling TT in the sand
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #91

OP

Really curious on the wire install, to prevent possible future issues.

How long is the run from the main panel to the pedestal?
10 20 100 200 feet?
What size wire did they use?
If you see a semi flexible type cord going to it "Romex" will be marked on the outside.
If it is in conduit, You can shut the power off, and remove the panel to look inside.

Now the same info on the cord.
Was it purchased or Built?
Length?
If it is a big black cord it should be imprinted on the covering sometimes like a branding burned in.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #92

AC breaker trippin

I too, have a brand new FR trailer and was visiting the awful heat of Las Vegas. After calling the FR warranty tech support (alot of help that was) and them telling me to contact a mobile mechanic I reached a very nice man who was willing to walk me thru the "testing" phase of breakers and such. Figured out the breakers and wires were installed backwards. For whatever reason, our AC was wired to the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and our GFCI was connected to the bigger breaker (can't remember what size). Either way....we had to pull both breakers out, switch wiring and put the breakers back in. Wal-la!!! Everything worked. Good luck tho, I know the frustration of something BRAND NEW not working to satisfaction. I guess its the expected with RV life.
rodz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz77 View Post
I too, have a brand new FR trailer and was visiting the awful heat of Las Vegas. After calling the FR warranty tech support (alot of help that was) and them telling me to contact a mobile mechanic I reached a very nice man who was willing to walk me thru the "testing" phase of breakers and such. Figured out the breakers and wires were installed backwards. For whatever reason, our AC was wired to the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and our GFCI was connected to the bigger breaker (can't remember what size). Either way....we had to pull both breakers out, switch wiring and put the breakers back in. Wal-la!!! Everything worked. Good luck tho, I know the frustration of something BRAND NEW not working to satisfaction. I guess its the expected with RV life.

Hey, thanks for this advice. I have a new FR trailer and am going to go out and test each circuit one at a time to be sure that each breaker or fuse pull (DC side), kills the circuit that is indicated.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #94

Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
If you see a semi flexible type cord going to it "Romex" will be marked on the outside.
Maybe not.

"Romex" is a brand name, trademark of Southwire Company, LLC. The generic for this type of cable is "NM." It stands for non-metallic which distinguishes it from "BX." All such cable will be labelled NM. Not all of it will be labelled Romex.

All Kleenex is tissue; not all tissue is Kleenex.
All Xerox copiers are copy machines; not all copy machines are Xerox copiers.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #95

Ac Breaker

I think that somewhere in the process there has been an AC unit hooked up to the wrong breaker. Most AC's that I know of would have at least a 20 amp breaker attached to the wiring. The surge voltage (especially if the voltage was low) would exceed the capacity of the 15 amp breaker, As I remember my 13000 btu AC was drawing in the neighborhood of 10-11 amp after it had started and settled down to "run" mode. The cure might be as simple as switching the wires between the 15 and 20 amp breakers. By the way, they should actually be separate breakers, not a two pole. (if I read your comment correctly) (I've never seen a two pole breaker that had both a 15 and a 20 amp side to it.)
fmattox74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #96
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmattox74 View Post
I think that somewhere in the process there has been an AC unit hooked up to the wrong breaker. Most AC's that I know of would have at least a 20 amp breaker attached to the wiring. The surge voltage (especially if the voltage was low) would exceed the capacity of the 15 amp breaker, As I remember my 13000 btu AC was drawing in the neighborhood of 10-11 amp after it had started and settled down to "run" mode. The cure might be as simple as switching the wires between the 15 and 20 amp breakers. By the way, they should actually be separate breakers, not a two pole. (if I read your comment correctly) (I've never seen a two pole breaker that had both a 15 and a 20 amp side to it.)
The labels were not lined up. I believe that the current conclusion is that the AC is on the 20–amp breaker, and that is the one that is tripping.

Look at the picture, count the labels, and count the breakers to determine which breaker is the AC.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #97

Not a two pole

Quote:
It's not a two-pole breaker. It's a duplex--two independent half-size breakers in a common case, sometimes called tandem. The levers are not pinned together. It does not span two rails in the panel. They are commonly used in RVs and in residential service where a circuit is to be added, e.g., for a room addition.

In particular, it is common to see this arrangement (30 & 20 duplex) in RVs, where the 30 is the main breaker and all the others are on a bus on its output side. Note that the 30 amp service is single-phase 120Vac, not the 240/120 two-phase you would find in a large residential panel.

Here is a tandem 20 & 20.

And here is the 30 + 20 amp breaker that's used in most 30-amp RVs. It is so common that even Amazon carries it.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #98

Far too often

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
The labels were not lined up. I believe that the current conclusion is that the AC is on the 20–amp breaker, and that is the one that is tripping.

Look at the picture, count the labels, and count the breakers to determine which breaker is the AC.
Unfortunately, the label is frequently either misplaced or printed at a different pitch than the breakers themselves. Lots of confusion over this.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #99

Quote:

It could be that they have two 1/2 sized breakers in one slot. One a 15 the other a 20. As long as they are not tired together as two legs of the same circuit, then it's OK.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #100

See post #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
It could be that they have two 1/2 sized breakers in one slot. One a 15 the other a 20. As long as they are not tired together as two legs of the same circuit, then it's OK.
Jeff, see post #97.

They are indeed a "tandem" breaker--two half-size independent breakers in the same case. The way this works is that the incoming power goes to the SCREW terminal of the 30 amp main breaker. It goes through the breaker to the panel bus. Power then goes through the bus to all the other breakers in the panel (including the self-contained 20 amp breaker), and out the breakers' screw terminals to the various circuits.

You might say power flows "backward" through the 30-amp main breaker.

Tags
air conditioner, breaker