Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Tripping Breaker

Our camper (2021 Micro Lite 22FBS) is only a few weeks old and been used almost full time those few weeks. Today, when the AC compressor kicks on, after a few minutes the breaker trips. Things we know and have tried (and yes, I read related posts I could find on this forum) :

- This happens with nothing (not even lights, no water heater, nothing) else running
- We are on shore power (dedicated 30A box on personal property)
- Weather has actually been cooler the last few days (south Texas)
- Tried shutting it all down and starting back up, no fix.
- All cables and plugs are good
- Breakers are fine as long as AC isn't running (fans, water heater, lights, you name it)

Again, we've been living full time in it for weeks, zero issue. Now we're without AC and that won't work during the day... can't take it to a shop, have no way to move it. Besides, wait times are so long and we need to live in it.

Brand new, only a few weeks in and this. Help!!
DerbyBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #2

Which breaker is tripping?

Pole 30A, trailer main 30A, trailer A/C 20A?

I suspect a weak breaker somewhere but it "should" not happen on a new trailer. Does not mean that is not the issue.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyBailey View Post
Again, we've been living full time in it for weeks, zero issue. Now we're without AC and that won't work during the day... can't take it to a shop, have no way to move it. Besides, wait times are so long and we need to live in it.
!
Sounds like you need a mobile mechanic. Contact Forest River Warranty Dept and get the name of a mobile mechanic. You might have to pay and get reimbursed. Most major appliances are covered by the manufacturer's warranty for a new unit like yours.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #4

Does the breaker trip immediately? Try just running the fan by itself and see if it still trips? Can isolate the issue between the fan or compressor, Can you access the roof ? Pull the cover and see if anything looks odd.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Sounds like we'll have to wait for a reply as to "Which" breaker is tripping, the camper or the pole.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Sounds like we'll have to wait for a reply as to "Which" breaker is tripping, the camper or the pole.
Also what is meant by "nothing running". What about Converter? Was it switched off too? How about refrigerator?

If batteries are down the converter can be drawing up to 1,000 watts and if the refrigerator could be drawing up to 300 watts for the heating element in the "boiler" (Electric/Propane model).

Add that "overhead" to a system that may be loaded down due to hot weather and the starting current for an A/C unit can strain a 30 amp breaker.

One other possibility, if the breaker on the power pole is the culprit is it sitting in the sun? Breakers are 'de-rated" as their operating temperature is increased.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

YES to mobile mechanic - Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Sounds like you need a mobile mechanic. Contact Forest River Warranty Dept and get the name of a mobile mechanic. You might have to pay and get reimbursed. Most major appliances are covered by the manufacturer's warranty for a new unit like yours.
DEFINITELY call your dealership - ours has a mobile mechanic that comes out at no additional charge and the work gets done much faster than making an appointment to bring it in. An AC failure in just two weeks, that should be covered under general warranty, not even having to go through your appliance warranty. It does sound like an electrical issue anyway so a mobile mechanic can trace, advise, repair.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #8

Ok, I think some of these were addressed in the original post, but I'll re-post here:

- Everything is off. Fridge, battery connection, water heater. 100% of everything. Off. The only thing running is fan and A/C. When compressor kicks on, within a 1-2 minutes the 20A A/C breaker inside the camper trips.

- I can run everything BUT the compressor and it works fine. Fans, lights, water heater, fridge.

- We have been living in 100 degree heat for weeks with EVERYTHING running. Zero problems. Randomly, yesterday, in 80 degree weather the tripping started. Wasn't even in the camper. Ran through all the shut down/turn EVERYTHING off, restart, etc. 20A A/C breaker inside camper trips every time.

- My dealer is in Colorado Springs. Camper is in south Texas. Dealer doesn't have mobile mechanic.

- I am fully aware this will be covered by warranty. The problem is there's a backlog at every dealership for repairs and we need to live in it now (Nov or later). If it's a simple fix, I'd like to knock that out ASAP. Even mobile mechanics are at least a week out. And the ones I've called seem to think we don't have everything off. Worse, the dealer tech did a via-phone walkthrough and thinks the compressor is bad or there's a grounding wire problem somewhere.

- The "pole" in this case is a brand new, dedicated 30A box. It's on my in-law's property, installed the day we parked the camper (weeks ago - and we've been using it daily). That breaker is NOT tripping.

- All connections are solid.

Apologies for slow response and appreciate everyone's input. I'm still figuring out notifications for this forum so didn't see your posts until now.

Thanks again and look forward to any other insight.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Worse, the dealer tech did a via-phone walkthrough and thinks the compressor is bad or there's a grounding wire problem somewhere..
Well.... that's a disturbing diagnosis. If that's the case, you're toast (perhaps literally as you're baking in our heat).

With the breaker tripping inside the unit and not on the post, you're probably not going to be able to fix this yourself unless it's a faulty ground and you're able to trace it. That can be a dangerous situation if you don't know what you're doing.
I hate to suggest it, but you may want to consider buying a portable ac unit. Texas heat is dangerous and since you're full timing, you really need an ac.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #10

Measure voltage at 30 amp plug if it is close to 120 volts with nothing on. Start AC and measure voltage again, it should stay above app. 105 volts while compressor running. You might just have low voltage supply and why it takes a few minutes for breaker to trip. Low voltage will create higher current needed at compressor to run.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Ok, I think some of these were addressed in the original post, but I'll re-post here:

- My dealer is in Colorado Springs. Camper is in south Texas. Dealer doesn't have mobile mechanic.

- The "pole" in this case is a brand new, dedicated 30A box. It's on my in-law's property, installed the day we parked the camper (weeks ago - and we've been using it daily). That breaker is NOT tripping.

OK, these two points maybe help...
1) Any FR dealership can do warranty work, perhaps one closer to you has a mobile mechanic? Maybe you already tried that, not sure, so I mention it here.
2) New 30amp pole... well, when I had my 30amp pole installed at my house to support the camper, the electrician (yes he was actually a certified electrician) installed the wrong type of 30amp outlet - it was designed for a household dryer, not an RV. And the result was popping the AC camper breaker every time I turned on the AC. The RV 30amp circuit for an RV is different than what a standard electrician would be accustomed to installing. They type you need should be clearly labeled on your power cord and/or outlet cover on your RV. Maybe that's it?
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

I had a similar issue recently where the internal breaker was tripping. It was really hot where we were in Kansas and the park was full. I found that the pedestal voltage was low and the amp draw was really high. All I had running was the fridge, the converter, my satellite dish and the AC. I could tell there was a problem from the sound of the AC compressor. When it cooled down that evening everything was fine.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Team

A few more ideas.
Can you measure the 120VAC voltage in the camper ( at an outlet) when the AC is running?

How long is the run to your new pole and what size wire was used?
Try shutting off power at Pole and then make sure the hot and neutral wires in the distribution panel are secure (tight). turn on pole again.
When the breaker trips is it hot?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #14

Air Conditioner Tripping Breaker

What kind of water heater do you have? If it's a duel fuel, meaning Electric and LP, turn off the electric portion and run on propane only. Those suckers can pull a lot of power.

To test it, just turn the breakers off. If it helps your problem and it's a Suburban water heater, there is a switch outside in the water heater box (if you don't have multiple switches for it on an inside panel). Turning the switch off outside turns off the electric coil. It will still work on propane.

This likely wouldn't be a permanent solution since your trailer is 30A but could get you by until you figure out what's happening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	239055
Best damn dog ever
Lover of dispersed camping
LynnATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #15

The environment has only gotten cooler since we've been there. It was in the 100s on the setup we have with zero issues. Drops to the 80s and suddenly starts tripping. I assume that should eliminate heat, cable and pole issues.

Here's what my wife said (I'm not there this week):

"There's a 15 labeled A/C and below it a 20 labeled CONV - the 20 is tripping but they're part of the same set. (breakers are broken into sections of 2's)"
Old 09-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #16

CONV is the converter.
Best damn dog ever
Old 09-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnATX View Post
What kind of water heater do you have? If it's a duel fuel, meaning Electric and LP, turn off the electric portion and run on propane only. Those suckers can pull a lot of power.

To test it, just turn the breakers off. If it helps your problem and it's a Suburban water heater, there is a switch outside in the water heater box (if you don't have multiple switches for it on an inside panel). Turning the switch off outside turns off the electric coil. It will still work on propane.

This likely wouldn't be a permanent solution since your trailer is 30A but could get you by until you figure out what's happening.

Attachment 239055
We tried that already.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnATX View Post
CONV is the converter.
So does that indicate anything we haven't chased yet?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
The environment has only gotten cooler since we've been there. It was in the 100s on the setup we have with zero issues. Drops to the 80s and suddenly starts tripping. I assume that should eliminate heat, cable and pole issues.

Here's what my wife said (I'm not there this week):

"There's a 15 labeled A/C and below it a 20 labeled CONV - the 20 is tripping but they're part of the same set. (breakers are broken into sections of 2's)"

I would start by checking all electrical connection . up in the ac 120 , the distribution panel make sure all lugs are tight . then check incoming voltage . then ??
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #20

I don't know enough about converters to offer any help on those. [emoji20]
Best damn dog ever

Tags
air conditioner, breaker