Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #1

Air Conditioning

We've got a problem with our Dometic Duo-Therm AC in a Sandpiper 35Loft.

The compressor runs constantly as long as there is power from the circuit breaker, but the fan only runs occasionally, like the fan is responding to the thermostat, but the compressor isn't. Even with the thermostat off, the compressor runs.

Thermostat? Circuit board on the AC? Compressor?

Any ideas to troubleshoot or attempt a quick fix before we go for service? We're in Georgetown, KY this month.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

More than likely circuit board has relay for compressor and it is stuck possibly from points arching and welded together . To test you would need to disconnect the yellow wire from T-stat and if when breaker is turned back on and compressor still runs then relay is bad. If it dosn't run than T-stat is bad.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is it possible for the thermostat to be wired incorrectly ?? The compressor wired to the fan switch, and the fan wired to the AC switch ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

pull the cover down inside (overhead unit right?) and check wiring. one was loose on mine and it did same thing.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Mtnguy, it ran fine for a while, then this popped up about 2/3 of the way through our stay in TX. The drive from TX to PA then to KY over two weeks hasn't changed anything.

Weather is spotty here for the next few days so it may be a while until I can check anything outside. I'll check the thermostat tomorrow though.

Note to self. Next rig MUST have dual AC. A single 15k BTU just doesn't cut it.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #6

Bob,how does it work for repair work on a unit with (9) people living in it full time? Any time our unit has been to a dealer for repair,(many) they want it early and is always a few days,for pick up. What do you do with the food in the refrigerator? How does the battery stay charged? None of the dealers have hooked up our unit to shore power,ever! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Bob,how does it work for repair work on a unit with (9) people living in it full time? Any time our unit has been to a dealer for repair,(many) they want it early and is always a few days,for pick up. What do you do with the food in the refrigerator? How does the battery stay charged? None of the dealers have hooked up our unit to shore power,ever! Youroo!!
The downside to the lifestyle for sure.

Breakdowns with the TV or camper can really put the damper on things. My buddy just cracked the pinbox attachment to the trailer frame on his 5th wheel Montana while traveling through VA. They have to remove the entire nose of the camper and cut a giant hole in the bedroom floor to get at the crossbeam to weld up a repair. 5 weeks in the shop minimum.

He is an astronomer and travels with 2 giant telescopes as well as all his gear. Had to rent a U-Haul trailer and buy a WD ball hitch to get his stuff home.

The hazards of running "just a tad heavy" because they are "over-designed." He was 400 pounds heavy on the pin for several years.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #8

We've been fortunate so far (only been OTR since Feb) and haven't had any major issues. We bought onsite repair coverage, too.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford
To test you would need to disconnect the yellow wire from T-stat and if when breaker is turned back on and compressor still runs then relay is bad
Bing! Tested it today finally. Anyone know where the relay is, or if it's user-servicable?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #10

I know this thread is a bit old, but as far as repair work with full timers go, we had full timed in 2008 for a year and just started again. With our fourwinds TT, we had our warranty coverage and then extended warranty as well, but I contacted them and told them we were in the unit and displacement would be difficult if we were to have to turn the unit in, and they authorized me to get a quote (subsequently accepted and approved for repairs) from a company here in Maryland who is a Mobile RV Repair and does his work on your location. Only difference was, I had to pay him the cash (he would submit for me if I wanted to but easier for me as I already had been talking to the MFR and Ext Warranty Company) and they reimbursed me the cost of the repairs. Bottom line to them was, they wanted to know the parts cost he was going to charge (or get it from them) and the labor he would charge for his work. Since his rates were acceptable as equivelant to the dealers rates, they covered it with no issues.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #11

The first thing you should do is turn the breaker of to the A/C unit then check the wiring, but it sound like the relay is stuck. The units we have here are the same that you have but they are "low profile units" the relay on ours are on the control boards and in order to replace the relay the board has to be replaced.....Do Not Let The Compressor keep running because you could damage it.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner