RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
That is time I simply don't have. Parts were ordered yesterday. Finally. Over 7 days of email traffic back and forth.
Well I am sorry that no one here is able to help you. Its apparent you came here just to complain about Flagstaff, but yet they weren't given the opportunity to provide you assistance, as you went through your dealer and they spent 7 days going back and forth with emails. A simple call to the warranty manager explaining your situation from you would have had a resolution in a day or 2 not over a week. But then again that's not what your here for is help, but to complain and seek validation, which you will not get here in this forum.

There are hundreds of Forest River owners like myself, who have had nothing but great experiences from the manufacturers. And only a small group of people with bad experiences, but those can usually explained by either a bad dealer or a customer who is demanding and belligerent with either dealer or the warranty reps at Forest River or both.

It would have been best for it to go back to the factory for repairs, as they would have stripped it down and replaced everything they felt may have water damage. Your dealer will certainly not find all the damage and it will be look over and not replaced.

But good luck to you sir!
Nights Camped 2020 = 24
Nights Camped 2019 = 36
Nights Camped 2018 = 28
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #22

I called Rockwood service dept on last Friday. She called me back on Monday (MLK day) and was very nice.

It wasn't even warranty work. It's an insurance claim on a 12 yr old camper I bought used. I was shocked they called me back honestly.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I called Rockwood service dept on last Friday. She called me back on Monday (MLK day) and was very nice.

It wasn't even warranty work. It's an insurance claim on a 12 yr old camper I bought used. I was shocked they called me back honestly.
Don't be shocked, because that is the way they handle their customers and their concerns. I can only speak of Rockwood/Flagstaff (built in the same factory) and Shasta, they have never let me down and have bent over backwards at times to accommodate our concerns and issues. Also those brands will sell you replacement parts directly, where others will not or even sent you a part under warranty if you wish to do the labor yourself.
Nights Camped 2020 = 24
Nights Camped 2019 = 36
Nights Camped 2018 = 28
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
Well I am sorry that no one here is able to help you. Its apparent you came here just to complain about Flagstaff
- I am not here to complain about "Flagstaff" My trailer is a Wildcat. It's
noted in the signature under my posts. Yes, maybe a Forest River, but
different models. I'm not complaining to Buick about my GMC truck.
Even though they are both General Motors but could have wildly different
approaches to customer satisfaction.

Quote:
but yet they weren't given the opportunity to provide you assistance, as you went through your dealer and they spent 7 days going back and forth with emails. A simple call to the warranty manager explaining your situation from you would have had a resolution in a day or 2 not over a week.
- Interesting concept there, but doesn't protocol have us going to the dealer
first? After all, if the manufacturer's are spending the majority of the time
on the phone with us (consumer's) then how are they going to spend their
workday building new units? And I'd be willing to wager there first words
will be to the effect of that you're going to have to go to the dealer first.
After all, some RV owners are going to be mechanically inclined, and some
aren't.

Quote:
But then again that's not what your here for is help, but to complain and seek validation, which you will not get here in this forum.
- Actually, partially somewhat correct on this point. I'm NOT expecting help.
I'm NOT expecting a Forest River rep to reply with a buy back offer. That is
NOT why I posted this here. Sorry if you may feel otherwise. Did I make
thread to complain? Yes I did. Seek validation? I guess if validation is
defined as are my concerns legitimate and it seems as if a few others have
had similar issues as well.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
There are hundreds of Forest River owners like myself, who have had nothing but great experiences from the manufacturers.
- True

Quote:
And only a small group of people with bad experiences but those can usually explained by either a bad dealer or a customer who is demanding and belligerent with either dealer or the warranty reps at Forest River or both.
- Respectfully disagree.

Quote:
It would have been best for it to go back to the factory for repairs, as they would have stripped it down and replaced everything they felt may have water damage. Your dealer will certainly not find all the damage and it will be look over and not replaced.
- I agree with you here as well. Several people have stated that. However,
in my case I don't have the time. I have been furloughed since early
November and I received this job about ten days ago. And, unfortunately
for me, it's out of my local area by about 500 (ish) miles. To get a hotel
room is out of the question. After all, I that's why I have a brand new
camper. I can't delay my start date. If I was going back and forth to
the local campgrounds with the family then this would be just an inconvenience
at most.
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #25

Sorry for your problem.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #26

Unfortunately, no. I've just started researching this actually and it seems that
Florida and Texas the rare ones that have them. Possibly some others, but I
don't think Mississippi is on the list.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act could be an avenue if needed perhaps.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #27

Also, while the parts are indeed on order, Forest River is telling me via email that it will be 2-3 weeks to get them from their vendors, and will be bulk shipped via truck with no expedition possible from them. They told me the dealer could pay extra to have it sooner, but the manufacturer won't. Wouldn't that fall within the realm of Forest River?

Of course, this is directly conflicting with the Forest River parts rep I talked to on Monday, just TWO days ago who told me they do have everything in stock and they could have them here in two days time.

Round and round like a carousel...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Don't be shocked, because that is the way they handle their customers and their concerns. I can only speak of Rockwood/Flagstaff (built in the same factory) and Shasta, they have never let me down and have bent over backwards at times to accommodate our concerns and issues. Also those brands will sell you replacement parts directly, where others will not or even sent you a part under warranty if you wish to do the labor yourself.
I was shocked because I didn't think they'd be so helpful.. it's a 12 yr old camper.. lots of folks have just told me to buy a new one.. they were very helpful and seemed compassionate and willing to assist in any way they could. Impressive!

A few years ago I needed a new sink drain pipe for my old pop-up and called them because I had tried locally and came up short. They didn't have a part in stock so the guy walked out on the build floor and cut me off a 8' section. Shipped it to me free of charge if I remember correctly. The pop-up was a 2002 and was likely at least 10 years old at the time.

If there is a better, more helpful manufacturer out there I don't know how that could be true. I've seen excellent service from FR.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #29

Three points—

1)My large slide floor was recently replaced (2 days) with no collateral damage (Ie, scratches, nicks, etc). The shop that did it in Shipshewana was recommended by the Coachmen rep. Use a recommended shop that has done it before.

2)Parts take time. Consider the flow-Parts list from the shop, parts ID from Forest River and logistics to gather up the material. It took about a week for the shop to round up the parts. This considering they were probably all located in the same general geographical area of the repair shop (Ie, no shipping time)

3)In my case the factory had a time slot but it didn’t work with my schedule. I was able to get it into their recommended shop. Note—I had to drive it from Texas to Indiana. One night in a hotel and I was back in business.

I am grateful to Coachmen for their ongoing support and Severe Custom Rv Restoration and Repair for their stellar work on this project.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #30

Quote:
But then again that's not what your here for is help, but to complain and seek validation, which you will not get here in this forum.

Well, as a previous owner of 2 Forest river products in 3 years, Ill give him validation.

I dont get it, He wasn't on here crying and cursing at the company, he has a pretty serious issue that needs rectified and was asking for advice. Seems that others get offended if their RV of choice has a problem child and rather than have sympathy for someone who just spent a bunch of money on a faulty product they go into defense mode about how good everyone elses version of that product is.. Geesh.
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 CTD
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Well, as a previous owner of 2 Forest river products in 3 years, Ill give him validation.

I dont get it, He wasn't on here crying and cursing at the company, he has a pretty serious issue that needs rectified and was asking for advice. Seems that others get offended if their RV of choice has a problem child and rather than have sympathy for someone who just spent a bunch of money on a faulty product they go into defense mode about how good everyone elses version of that product is.. Geesh.
I don't dismiss his issue.. he should absolutely get it fixed. I was just giving him my experience with the company which has been good. Hopefully, it would serve as some encouragement that they will do what's right for him.

Believe me, I'm very sympathetic to his situation. It's gotta stink.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #32

I don't know the answers for the OP. All I can do is relate my experiences with Flagstaff and Robert's RV Sales of Denver.

We bought an early 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW A-frame) from Robert's at a very agreeable price in Aug 2019. Robert's did a thorough cleanup, including vacuuming all the sawdust, recaulking the windows, replacing roof seals, filling the many scratches on the interior paneling, and replacing the front trunk storage bin for one that would actually slide (we saw the unit as delivered from Flagstaff; it was a mess that we almost backed out of). After a thorough PDA, they helped me fit the brackets for my e2 600/6000 WDH onto the trailer. The camper has never had go back to Roberts.

As the electric roof lift started to fail - a very common problem with the high wall A-frames - I installed stronger gas strut lift assists, and changed out all the storage compartment locks to a combination thumb/key lock arrangement. In doing so, I failed to note that the outside shower key lock was a slightly smaller size, and cracked the plastic cover installing the new thumb/key lock.

I called Flagstaff to order parts over the Christmas holidays and left a message - my call was returned on Dec 27. A very nice lady looked up the parts based on my VIN number, and ordered a replacement outside shower box and a couple of finger lifts to make the thumb latches/locks look uniform. I decided to buy a replacement electric lift drive assembly for when my original failed. Even though out of warranty by a few months, Flagstaff gave me the replacement electric lift assembly ($225) as a warranty good will item.

I have nothing but good to say about Flagstaff and Robert's RV. Both exceeded my expectations - which weren't all that high after reading all the horror stories on this forum. I wish everybody would get the same great experience I had. I believe some dealers and some people at Forest River try very hard to give you a good experience.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #33

Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
My trailer is brand new...taking delivery on October 2nd, 2019.

While a close to home weekend to watch the Saints play (and lose), I noticed the carpet was wet (soaked) while opening up curbside slide. Even after placing fans blowing directly on it and a heater as well, it would dry somewhat only to get more wet as if it was wicking up the moisture.

First thing on Monday (6 Jan) I dropped off at the dealership on the way home as I only live a mere 10 min away. The immediately diagnosed it as a bad rear window seal, but I wasn't convinced. There was simply too much water on the carpet.

Yesterday (14 Jan) while visiting to check on the status, I was told the baaaad news. While being constructed at the factory, there was no eterna bond tape applied along the top of the slideout roof. In addition, there was a tear in the roof that was covered with a patch of eternabond tape. In addition, there was little to no sealant applied over the top of the molding directly over the slideout. The carpet is still wet and has even changed colors now owing to be wet constantly. My thoughts are that if this slide was
sealed improperly, then surely the other slide would have the same issues.

After getting over the initial shock, the dealership is telling me that it will take approx. 2-3 days to replace the floor in the slideout, including the carpeting...etc. Of course Forest River has to authorize the repairs and I'm told that will take 2-3 days with the claim being submitted to them yesterday (14 Jan) Now, once it's been approved it's anyone's guess as to when the materials will be received. And that's when the 2-3 days will start. Thus far, the dealership has been sympathetic and willing to do their part.

Now I've got a bunch of questions and even with the attached pictures it's not the same as seeing it firsthand.

1. I am concerned about permanent water damage and mold. Since this
occurred while to slides were retracted as that's how I keep it at my
house while not being used, I am sure that the slideout floor being wet
would fester down to the coach floor that's exposed when then slide is
extended.

2. In addition to the floor, the water had to run down behind the wall panels
and I'm concerned now about delamination. Of course there is none now,
but in addition to the structural loss it's unsightly. But I sure it will occur
in the future.

3. I want and expect it to be fixed properly. In spite of their best efforts is
a dealership able to remove the huge slide on this trailer, essentially
totally deconstruct it, and then reconstruct it properly. To good as factory
new? Surely there will be some nicks, scratches, and other superficial
damages during this process.

4. I have been provided the warranty rep and the parts rep at Forest River
for my trailer, but have not contacted them yet as I feel it's best to give
them a fair & reasonable chance to act on this warranty claim.

5. Do I consult a lawyer? I know that lemon laws are completely different
For RV's compared to automobiles. Actually, more like totally
nonexistent. After all, I am making payments on a brand new RV that
had a huge manufacturer defect, wasn't detected at various levels of
quality control. This isn't a convenience factor as it's health potentially
and structural.

Last but not least...

Before this mess started, I was furloughed from my job and in the process of a job change with a relocation that is approx. 500 miles away. All of the preliminary administrative tasks are nearly done and I will be expected there in aprrox 3 weeks from now. I know that quality work can't be rushed, but while there is never a good time for this to happen the timing couldn't be much worse for me.

Attached pictures will show the dark area under the slideout floor from the water seeping dowwn.
what model trailer do you have ?
CHEVY67TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
You won't hear me say this very often. We need government intervention. Or a grassroots uprising in the form of a rv consumer union.

The auto industry got a wake-up call from the likes of Toyota and Datsun. Everyone benefited. Unfortunately, I don't see RVs being imported anytime soon. Maybe ........
You might be onto something re the RV Consumer Union. I think people need to learn to appreciate quality again. Everyone is programmed that paying 1/2 price for something that lasts 1/10th as long at Walmart is the accepted way. I think if there were more honest product reviews available, that would help. The wake-up in the auto industry took a while, but came because people saw the difference in quality, and acted accordingly. I think barring that, stick with a smaller manufacturer. Why reward the bad behavior. I'm 99% sure right now our next trailer will be from a smaller manufacturer (if any are left by then), i.e. Northwood, Outdoors RV, etc.
paul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #35

I own a Forest River Rockwood travel trailer. It has leaked, everywhere. Half the windows and all roof seams have leaked at some point. Some windows had no gaskets or sealant of any kind, some did. The front window has started leaking this year. Every seam on the roof has had to have eternabond tape. Owning this trailer has been nothing but fixing one leak after another. Purchasing this trailer is without a doubt the absolute worst decision I have ever made in my life, not even close. Anyone who ever pays more than $5000 for one of these rolling pieces of junk is getting totally ripped off. The only good thing about it is the frame is aluminum, thank god, at least that won't rot.

At some point this trailer will have been totally rebuilt by me, everything except the frame, including all the appliances. The furnace, the refrigerator, the converter, the water pump, the water heater, all replaced or repaired by me. Some of it, like the water heater, is because of my ignorance. Should have replaced that anode when I first bought the trailer. Most of it is just plain pure and simple engineered to fail junk. I guess one way of looking at it is I am now a certified rv repairman. There is not one single system on this trailer that I haven't had to deal with. The quality control at Forest River is a joke. Whoever allows this junk to roll out the door like this should have their fingernails pulled out with pliers.

I wish I could go back and tie myself up with ropes and chains before I ever bought this piece of junk.
Bucket-hat Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #36

Ah, the joys of RV ownership.

2014 Coachmen Pursuit “Betty”
2016 Ford Fiesta “The Catfish”
kenginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #37

One more vote for having the factory fix it. It's probably in their best interest to actually do it right the second time. And, they probably have the most spare parts laying around.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #38

Make sure you stay in contact with them. I have been waiting on them (forest river) to repair my couch since last September. The dealer blames forest river and forest river says it the dealer.
Joe Ray McMahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #39

I'm another vote for sending it back to the factory. Our experience with the warranty department for Rockwood was excellent - from the empathy expressed by the manager, to instant recognition that the problem was theirs to making complete repairs on more than the presenting problem while it was there. Our 4 year old squishy floor was replaced better than the original. You would never know that they took the RV apart, replaced the floor platform and put it back together. It was quite an experience to see. The factory has the equipment and parts to do the job right. I can't imagine what it would have taken for the dealer to do the job. I don't think my dealer could have done it.
CastletonRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #40
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Well I am sorry that no one here is able to help you. Its apparent you came here just to complain about Flagstaff, but yet they weren't given the opportunity to provide you assistance, as you went through your dealer and they spent 7 days going back and forth with emails. A simple call to the warranty manager explaining your situation from you would have had a resolution in a day or 2 not over a week. But then again that's not what your here for is help, but to complain and seek validation, which you will not get here in this forum.

There are hundreds of Forest River owners like myself, who have had nothing but great experiences from the manufacturers. And only a small group of people with bad experiences, but those can usually explained by either a bad dealer or a customer who is demanding and belligerent with either dealer or the warranty reps at Forest River or both.

Wow, I wish I could cuss. The OP does not sound belligerent at all. Stories like this are heartbreaking to me.

Our FR product is 3 years old and the list of fixes we have had done and and done ourselves is too long to list. We just had our slide removed because a roller flipped over, and had to be reinstalled with something substantial to hold the rollers in place as others were failing. I can say, it will not look like new after the molding is removed and reinstalled.

After all these fixes, the tech usually says, “gee it wasn’t done at all or or very well in the first place.” Lots of fixes under warranty, more we have paid for. My wallet tells me otherwise about how great Forest River does things.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote