Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

And, yet there's more...

After my slide leak debacle https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ns-200305.html(that's still surviving on a temp repair), I only noticed this while installing a vent cover last week. It seems as if the plywood roof structure was cut short, and so was the rubber roof membrane. As a result, the plywood roof was exposed to ALL of the rain, most likely since new.

Where is the non-existant quality at the factory, and I explicably asked for someone at the dealership before I left for Nashville to go around the trailer and look for any other trouble spots. Soon as I saw it, I covered it up with a piece of eternabond tape, but the damage has been done. At the very least the membrane will have to be removed to be able to replace the rotted wood underneath. And...I did not paying for a brand new trailer to have a patched roof.

I was just starting to get over the slide mess as I truly like this trailer (at least the floorplan) a lot, but having to continually pay for this unit with two major leaks is making me ill and having buyers remorse.

The same pics along with the vin sticker was sent to the dealer to get a claim started...etc.

And the following is NOT AT ALL related to Forest River....

While driving home from Nashville a few weeks ago it was still dark when I got on the interstate and immediately I got behind a mixer truck. I heard a few tings of gravel being kicked off of the tires and backed off and changed lanes. The next day when I went to wash the bogs off the front of the truck and trailer, I got mad as hell when I realized it was cement spatters from said truck. Lots of elbow grease and chemicals, but they are clean now. The fresh wax surely helped make that happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	227492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	227493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	227494  
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #2

Of course Forest River was denying the claim (twice) saying that I damaged the roof. The dealership that I purchased it from has been getting no resolve despite even them offering that there is no damage to the roof as it's a manufacturing defect. Earlier today, we had decided to put this to bed so to speak and find out what's really going on under there. Once the sidewall gutter came off, it was SO obvious. The sidewall panel that was used had a window/door/baggage compartment door....whatever that was routed into the edge and it about 1 1/2" shorter than it needed to be. This should leave no room for doubt now.

It's amazing (almost) how it left the factory that way. Another new claim was opened up that Forest River has to respond to and of course this one includes lots of pictures. This exploratory mission was done at the dealership leaving no room for doubt.

In just under two weeks I had planned on getting the slide rebuilt as it was also leaking. In light of this, I feel that factory is the best place to handle this repair and truth be told, I'd almost just as soon have another at this point. Trouble is, this model is no longer made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidewall.png
Views:	136
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	230077  
Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Man, I feel for you for sure.
I'm not sure if it was me being super cautious when inspecting our unit, having grown up in RV's throughout every summer of my teen years, or our dealership, but I've only experienced 1 issue that was due to cheap materials in our RV.

I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end of what you have because if I were, my wife would surely say that camping is for the birds, and force me to ditch our Puma.

I hope they get you fixed up, and at this point, I'm hoping you get a new unit.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #4

Thank you sir. At the very least I think that this going back to the factory for repairs is a minimum. And, thus far I've got repair claims of over 14K on a 25K product so a manufacturer's buy back would not/should not be unrealistic. Of course that will be a long fought battle.

I can accept that ANY company can and does let a bad product out the door. It happens in every thing that's manufactured. However, once this bad product is brought to their attention how they handle it speaks volumes of their core values.

We shall see...
Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Nearly two weeks and no update from Forest River as to how they're gonna fix this claim. I love my trailer, but their lackadaisical attitude towards making this right, blaming ME for damaging the roof, taking their long sweet time to do anything is beyond reason.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

Just 3 days ago Forest River finally took ownership of the problem after yet blaming me yet again for damaging the roof. It too the service manager on the phone to verify that it's a manufacturing defect and they needed to fix it and the dealership is not able to repair it.

So now one of the remedies proposed was to replace the entire wall which quite frankly this trailer should never have left Indiana. At this point I am only feeling comfortable with another unit. Trouble is, this is a discontinued floorplan and only dealer stock is what's left.