RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #61

Hanging my head low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Not everyone is camping in their RV's...
Uh, I guess you're correct. I didn't really think about that. I'll go crawl back into the hole where I came from. So sorry!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #62
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Your problem may be fixed. DirectTV Now released an update to the app this past weekend thatís supposed to allow what you want.
Any reference to that update?
I tried all methods as recently as yesterday.
Thanks.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #63
Usually Confused Member

It’s Version 2.1 available in the App Store for Apple. I’m sure it’s also in the Android store (I don’t speak that language). Lots of discussion about it on the Facebook mobile internet group.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #64
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Itís Version 2.1 available in the App Store for Apple. Iím sure itís also in the Android store (I donít speak that language). Lots of discussion about it on the Facebook mobile internet group.
Thanks, Android here.
Hopefully updated too.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #65
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Itís Version 2.1 available in the App Store for Apple. Iím sure itís also in the Android store (I donít speak that language). Lots of discussion about it on the Facebook mobile internet group.
Emm-dee (and all) I'm happy to report the latest version of the DTVN Android app allows casting (smart view, screen mirroring, Any cast, Miracast, Roku direct cast etc.) all without using mobile data on ATT!

I'm a happy camper!

While I have had conventional DTV at home contiously since 1997 and have carried a dish and a receiver for 20 years while camping, this may be answer to cutting the cord. Time will tell.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #66

For OTA reception, the best thing to do is use a bigger/better antenna and mount it higher. If you install a SensarPro, it has additional gain which *might* help, but likely not much. If you go to TVfool.com you can input your exact location and see what TV stations are "catchable". There's no point in spending time on money on a better antenna setup if you can't get a signal or a strong enough one. Sometimes reception is dependent on atmospheric conditions too and an adequate signal can come and go.

The standard Winegard antennas just aren't very good. Many stations now are UHF and unless you add the Winegard Wingman, you likely won't get many UHF stations, if any. Even with the Wingman, it's still an under-performing antenna.

We've stayed at many CGs in 7 western states. Nothing is worse when you're away camping and roughing it and not being able to watch TV, lol. We mostly use sat TV but there are times when it won't work due to obstructions like trees or geographic features. So then we revert to OTA TV. But as most know, getting an adequate signal can be a challenge if not near a major urban area or a number of other causes. Digital is a lot different than analogue. Where an analogue image just gets weaker and weaker to the point of not being able to watch it, digital is like an all or nothing reception. If it's weak, it can suddenly pixelize and cut in and out. Plus it can be a lot more directional which is where a SensarPro may help some folks.

You can be in a location where there are multiple TV stations transmitting from different directions and you need to re-aim the rooftop RV antenna. If using a larger/better antenna, you could use a rotator or one or more antennas or just rotate a mast by hand. Antennas can be tuned specifically for low-VHF, high-VHF or UHF signals ore can be combination. Solidsignal.com has a good listing of many antennas available on the market along with specs.

In an effort to get better OTA reception, I just bought a 4-bay bowtie style antenna ($20 off CL) like in the photo. I would have preferred a high-peformance yagi style along the lines of the 2nd photo, but there's absolutely no place to store one in transit since they are like 8'+ long and 4-5' wide (or more). The 4-bay bowtie antenna is a compromise between performance and size. I put the bowtie on the bed during transit.

For a mast, I bought 6 x 4' used military fiberglass poles off ebay as in the 3rd photo ($44). For now, I just have it tied to an awning upright.

I've only been to 2 CGs with the new antenna to test it. At one where I was getting about 8 stations, I was able to pick up 3 more. At the CG we're currently at in OR, the rooftop Winegard antenna couldn't pick up anything but the bowtie picks up one. I should be able to get more according to TVfool.com but there are several small mountain peaks around here that interfere with reception. I might be able to pick up one or two more stations by some careful aiming, but we've got sat TV working fine so no need to play with it.

Note that there are no industry standards for TV antenna performance so it can be every hard to compare different types and designs. The ones that say they are "150 mile" are grossly exaggerated for example. You won't even find performance specs for RV antennas.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #67

Great thread everyone.
The funny part is 7 pages of answers and the original author of this thread hasn't been back since he asked the question June 22,2018.

I guess he must be trying to figure out his trailer TV reception someplace else.
lol
Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Great thread everyone.
The funny part is 7 pages of answers and the original author of this thread hasn't been back since he asked the question June 22,2018.

I guess he must be trying to figure out his trailer TV reception someplace else.
lol
He did say he was a lurker...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #69

I added the wingman to our batwing. It got a lot better, but isnít VHF/UHF height related? I was always told that at least in the VHF/FM/Marine radio bands it was ďline of sightĒ. Having the antenna higher helps overcome hills and other obstacles. I donít know how sensitive the UHF band is. Does anyone know if the UHF digital signal is ďline of sightĒ also? I am thinking about doing something like was posted here with the Walmart antenna and a long painters pole. Until the post about the bow tie antenna, I honestly have not thought about where to store this during transport. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Emm-dee (and all) I'm happy to report the latest version of the DTVN Android app allows casting (smart view, screen mirroring, Any cast, Miracast, Roku direct cast etc.) all without using mobile data on ATT!

I'm a happy camper!

While I have had conventional DTV at home contiously since 1997 and have carried a dish and a receiver for 20 years while camping, this may be answer to cutting the cord. Time will tell.
Well.......a certain campground to which I happen to know you may be going in a few weeks........has the WiFi broken/out/unworking. Not sure when they'll get it back. Got fried in a storm.

Just passin' along info.................

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #71

I bought that Walmart antenna for my new home in Yuma, AZ...

It has been too hot to do the outside install, so have it dangling in the living room for now.

It is picking up OK inside, but every time I open my laptop across the room it makes half the stations go away!

Hope to mount it outside in the next couple of days.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #72
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well.......a certain campground to which I happen to know you may be going in a few weeks........has the WiFi broken/out/unworking. Not sure when they'll get it back. Got fried in a storm.

Well, since he has DirectTV and AT&T he doesnít need Wi-Fi.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #73

Casting, Roku, all that.........that's tv via Wifi.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #74

Quote:
I've got around 800 DVD's I can choose from to load into the 5'ver.

I do have enough cabinet space for all of them, but only keep about 150 of them in the RV.

Plus I have over 1000 movies and unknown number of TV series on a couple of different hard drives.

Verizon is pretty proud of their 'beyond unlimited' package and speed.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #75
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Maybe for droid devices. I can ďmirrorĒ my iPhone and iPad via Bluetooth or connect them directly to the TV with an HDMI cable.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #76
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Back up and running as of 5:00 PM.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #77
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Well, since he has DirectTV and AT&T he doesnít need Wi-Fi.
Correct. With the new update, no wifi network needed, just cellular service.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Assuming you already know about the antenna booster, and that it's on, the only other thing you can do is with the antenna itself. A directional antenna (turned in the right direction) will typically provide better gain than an omni-directional, so first, what kind of antenna is on your rig?

Secondly, have you used one of those antenna tower mapping websites to see what should be available in your area? There's a variety of them out there like this one:

TV Station Locator Tool - Over The Air Digital TV

You'll want to make sure there actually are signals to pick up before you go too extreme in your modifications.

Lastly, if there are signals, and you do have the antenna pointed at them, the last measure would be to try to get it over the tree-line, or at least higher than it is now. That's going to take an external antenna, some kind of antenna mast, a way to have the mast raised (I've seem some strapped to rear ladders, some u-bolted to the side of rigs, etc...) ways to run the cabling, power lines for the booster.... I.e. All doable, but enough of a hassle that I really hope you don't have to resort to those measures.

Alternatively, our solution to lack of TV signal is this:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...tal-av-adapter

We typically have a bunch of movies downloaded to the tablet or my phone, or one of the kid's tablets so if we really get stuck, we've got plenty to watch.
We have the DirecTV app on our iPads, but you could also do this from your phone. This allows any TV with an HDMI spot on it to stream DirecTV channels for your viewing pleasure. It’s very easy to do.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #79
Usually Confused Member

For those using the phone app to view DirectTV Now...AT&T has come up with a change in how data is used. If you’re not on a grandfathered plan and have one of the newer so-called unlimited plans that have “network management” after 22 gig it is good news. If you are using the DTVNow app then all data used by the app is never subject to network management. It is not counted against the 22 gig. HOWEVER, if you use data outside the DTV app (Netflix, YouTube, CBS All Access, etc etc etc) and you reach the 22 gig threshold with those apps then everything, including DTV, could be managed.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #80

Any way to get a better Tv signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Assuming you already know about the antenna booster, and that it's on, the only other thing you can do is with the antenna itself. A directional antenna (turned in the right direction) will typically provide better gain than an omni-directional, so first, what kind of antenna is on your rig?

Secondly, have you used one of those antenna tower mapping websites to see what should be available in your area? There's a variety of them out there like this one:

TV Station Locator Tool - Over The Air Digital TV

You'll want to make sure there actually are signals to pick up before you go too extreme in your modifications.

Lastly, if there are signals, and you do have the antenna pointed at them, the last measure would be to try to get it over the tree-line, or at least higher than it is now. That's going to take an external antenna, some kind of antenna mast, a way to have the mast raised (I've seem some strapped to rear ladders, some u-bolted to the side of rigs, etc...) ways to run the cabling, power lines for the booster.... I.e. All doable, but enough of a hassle that I really hope you don't have to resort to those measures.

Alternatively, our solution to lack of TV signal is this:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/produc...tal-av-adapter

We typically have a bunch of movies downloaded to the tablet or my phone, or one of the kid's tablets so if we really get stuck, we've got plenty to watch.

I bought the Apple Digital AV Adapter to use with my iPad and U-Verse app. It works great! I would never have known to do this without your post. Thank you so much!
Rikki73 is offline   Reply With Quote