Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian T View Post
Um..you're camping, why even bother with TV?
Geez.....

Because I "camp" over 200+ days a year. Some of 'em include rain, or sickness. All of 'em include late night darkness.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #42
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 View Post
Finally!!! Someone with the best advice ever! I was thinking as I was reading the first several posts, "since when do people go camping to watch TV?" That's the last thing I want to do! I go to enjoy the outdoors, to hike, to meet new people, to see the sights and all that!

Well, heck, I watch very little TV even at home, so what do I know?
Not everyone is camping in their RV's...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #43

I like to watch news while having first cup of coffee in the morning. Have Dish receiver with OTA module. Helps in locating local stations as they come up on Dish menu and displays the signal strength oh local channels. Do have to move portable winguard antenna around a bit to get around trees. Find my Satellite app helps as well. Just pay the $7 a month for second receiver. Rest of the day after coffee, me and Pepper the rescue do walks and enjoy nature.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Slightly off topic...

emm-dee could you point me to something that says this in writing?
I have ATT & DirecTV Now and my local rep says the data WILL be charged against my current plan. (not unlimited)

They tell me the only two plans it wouldn't be charged against is the AT&T Unlimited Plus Enhanced℠ and the AT&T Unlimited Choice Enhanced℠.
If you have ATT and Directv, you can stream ON THE Directv APP, with no data charge to your phone. You do not have to be on wifi. See below.

https://www.att.com/directv/experien...D0lATB0000000L

You would have to watch it on your phone or an ATT connected tablet, however with the right cable attached to your TV you could possibly go that route.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #45
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost13ranch View Post
If you have ATT and Directv, you can stream ON THE Directv APP, with no data charge to your phone. You do not have to be on wifi. See below.

https://www.att.com/directv/experien...D0lATB0000000L

You would have to watch it on your phone or an ATT connected tablet, however with the right cable attached to your TV you could possibly go that route.
And that is the caveat I'm in.

Yes, I can watch on my phone (Samsung S7) with no data charge but I have NO way to connect to the TV.
The S7 doesn't support MHL cables/dongles.

If I have the phone and the Chromecast (or my Roku with the DTV Now app built in) connected to a wifi router WITH INTERNET, I can cast and all is well but as soon as you remove the broadband from the router, you can't even open the DirecTV app. It all has to check in back at the "big house" somewhere. (bastards)

I CAN use my phone as the internet source (hotspot) for the Roku (with built in DirecTV Now app) but data IS NOT free then and eats about 2 GB per hour.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes, I can watch on my phone (Samsung S7) with no data charge but I have NO way to connect to the TV.

Not even the Samsung one? I used to use one on DW's S6, so I just assumed it would work on her S7 (though I haven't actually tried with it yet).
Old 06-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Not even the Samsung one? I used to use one on DW's S6, so I just assumed it would work on her S7 (though I haven't actually tried with it yet).
I don't have the Samsung one (from an earlier model) but none of the ones I purchased/borrowed worked. I read where that support was discontinued beginning with the S7.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I have an S7 and I use mine on both the Vizio and the Samsung tvs in out TT.
I have the Dish app that lets me access our home dvr and I connect to either tv to watch.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I have an S7 and I use mine on both the Vizio and the Samsung tvs in out TT.
I have the Dish app that lets me access our home dvr and I connect to either tv to watch.

What do you use to connect the phone to the TV with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
What do you use to connect the phone to the TV with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forest River Forums mobile app
I use one phone as a Wifi hotspot and connect the phone with the Dish Anywhere app, to the tv.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #51
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I use one phone as a Wifi hotspot and connect the phone with the Dish Anywhere app, to the tv.

Thanks. I can do that too (with DWs phone) but with the DTV Now app, you don't get to take advantage of the free data that way.

Surely there is a way. I've just not found it yet.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 06-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. I can do that too (with DWs phone) but with the DTV Now app, you don't get to take advantage of the free data that way.

Surely there is a way. I've just not found it yet.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Forest River Forums mobile app
We have the T-Mobile 55+ plan with unlimited data so it works for us.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I have had amazingly good results with my moveable Winegard antenna, and it's little clip on digital extension accessory. We have good reception in places as varied as Quartzsite, the Utah desert, southern Illinois, and the UP of Michigan.

More concretely, I live 40 miles west of Chicago, and easily get all the stations there when I have tested the TV in our storage lot. Last weekend I was in Wisconsin, about 30 miles east of Lake Geneva, WI. Not only could I get every station in Milwaukee, but all of the Chicago stations as well.

I am personally convinced that being able to aim a good antenna like my Winegard properly (an use an aiming aid like TVFool) is the key.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Do you want the Winegard positioned perpendicular to the signal source: IE in an east west axis if the signal is from the north? Or, should it be parallel? Thanks
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If you have the crank-up batwing antenna...replace it with the $50 King/Jack batwing replacement head.

I went from getting around 25 channels in the side yard of my house (just sold the house in February) in the north Denver metro area with the batwing to over 80 channels in the same spot with the King/Jack!

And it takes less than two minutes to install!

I also bought a little TV signal locator device at Camping World to help aim the antenna.

When I traded in my TT for my current 5'ver...I pulled the King/Jack off of it and put the batwing back on and now enjoy the King/Jack on my 5'ver!

Watching it right now, as a matter of fact!
I had the same results with the King Jack. I love it. Just be aware that you will point the antenna differently than with a batwing. Also, on the antenna itself, the part of the antenna which looks like it is pointing is actually the back of the antenna. Direct the flat/front part of the antenna toward the tv tower.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #55

The biggest improvement with the antenna you have is pointing it correctly. Most people I talk to have no idea the direction their antenna actually points. I'll ask if they have their antenna pointed toward the transmission towers. They think they do, because they have the "arrow" pointed in that direction. Once I explain and show them their antenna is 45 degrees off from that they are amazed. "Then why is there an arrow?!?!" It is only to line up the crank mechanism to be able to lower the antenna all the way.

I suggest they look at the antenna and then make a small mark on the dial inside, so they know where the antenna is pointing.

So, when you point the antenna, make sure the antenna is pointed toward the signal, not 45 degrees off. Also, get an app called DTV antennas. It will show you in the direction you need to point the antenna, without the need to enter an address, coordinates, etc.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian T View Post
Um..you're camping, why even bother with TV?

Um....because some 'camp' hundreds of days a year. It is a home on wheels.

Great condescending first post BTW.
ray98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #57

Quote:

If I have the phone and the Chromecast (or my Roku with the DTV Now app built in) connected to a wifi router WITH INTERNET, I can cast and all is well but as soon as you remove the broadband from the router, you can't even open the DirecTV app. It all has to check in back at the "big house" somewhere. (bastards)
It will cast via Miracast. I have cast mine to a Belkin Miracast HDMI adapter that connects directly to the tv.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #58
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray98 View Post
It will cast via Miracast. I have cast mine to a Belkin Miracast HDMI adapter that connects directly to the tv.
Thanks for the suggestion but mine won't/don't.

As soon as the mobile app 'sees' you are connected via 'direct wifi' (such as miracast) the app stops immediately.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no issues using Chromecast, Miracast (with dongle), Roku, etc. (I have them all, tried them all) when connected to a wifi network with an INTERNET connection. Works perfectly casting to any of them or even using the Roku's built in app. (even direct streaming/casting to Roku)

It is when I have no INTERNET based wifi and want to use the 'free' cellular data on my mobile devices that ATT provides for DirecTV Now is where the issues happen. I've even set up a wifi router for all the devices to connect to but again, without it 'seeing' the internet, no go.

Yes, I can set up my phone as a hot spot (or the DW's) and continue to use any of the methods above... BUT... the data is no longer 'free' and eats about 2GB per hour. I do not have unlimited.

Remember, my issues are trying to cast/mirror DirecTV Now.

Content on the phone is a breeze to cast/stream/mirror. Been doing that for years.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #59

Quote:

As soon as the mobile app 'sees' you are connected via 'direct wifi' (such as miracast) the app stops immediately.

Ahhh....well that sucks.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #60

Quote:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have no issues using Chromecast, Miracast (with dongle), Roku, etc. (I have them all, tried them all) when connected to a wifi network with an INTERNET connection. Works perfectly casting to any of them or even using the Roku's built in app. (even direct streaming/casting to Roku)

It is when I have no INTERNET based wifi and want to use the 'free' cellular data on my mobile devices that ATT provides for DirecTV Now is where the issues happen. I've even set up a wifi router for all the devices to connect to but again, without it 'seeing' the internet, no go.

Yes, I can set up my phone as a hot spot (or the DW's) and continue to use any of the methods above... BUT... the data is no longer 'free' and eats about 2GB per hour. I do not have unlimited.

Remember, my issues are trying to cast/mirror DirecTV Now.

Content on the phone is a breeze to cast/stream/mirror. Been doing that for years.
Your problem may be fixed. DirectTV Now released an update to the app this past weekend that’s supposed to allow what you want.