Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
My understanding is that a screw threads into one of the objects being fastened, a bolt uses a nut to fasten objects together.
Cylinder head bolts attach the cylinder head to the engine block without nuts on the ends.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #22

The distinction between a bolt and a screw is poorly-defined. The academic distinction, per Machinery's Handbook, is in their intended design: bolts are designed to pass through an unthreaded hole in a component and be fastened with the aid of a nut, although such a fastener can be used without a nut to tighten into a threaded component such as a nut-plate or tapped housing. Screws in contrast are used in components which contain their own thread, or to cut its own internal thread into them. This definition allows ambiguity in the description of a fastener depending on the application it is actually used for, and the terms screw and bolt are widely used by different people or in different countries to apply to the same or varying fastener.

Bolts are often used to make a bolted joint. This is a combination of the nut applying an axial clamping force and also the shank of the bolt acting as a dowel, pinning the joint against sideways shear forces. For this reason, many bolts have a plain unthreaded shank (called the grip length) as this makes for a better, stronger dowel. The presence of the unthreaded shank has often been given as characteristic of bolts vs. screws, but this is incidental to its use, rather than defining.

Where a fastener forms its own thread in the component being fastened, it is called a screw. This is most obviously so when the thread is tapered (i.e. traditional wood screws), precluding the use of a nut, or when a sheet metal screw or other thread-forming screw is used. A screw must always be turned to assemble the joint. Many bolts are held fixed in place during assembly, either by a tool or by a design of non-rotating bolt, such as a carriage bolt, and only the corresponding nut is turned.

Source: wikipedia
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #23

I’ll sleep extra well tonight knowing the difference between a bolt and a screw….I was worried there for a bit.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I’ll sleep extra well tonight knowing the difference between a bolt and a screw….I was worried there for a bit.
Now all you need to read is the oft-published technical difference between pressure and flow in your plumbing system.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 05:14 AM   #25

Thank you!

I certainly appreciate all of the replies, and even the bolt/screw discussion…lol!
DoubleDees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, salem