Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch

RV is in storage and I have been trying to run the generator regularly. I also have been trying to run heat because it has been chilly here. Heat not coming on and I'm wondering if it's because the battery does not have a full charge? Any thoughts?
GoEaglesSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

On my travel trailer the blower for the heating and ac run of of 12v so a dead battery could be an issue
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #3

Automatic isolator switches can fail. Manual switches last longer, but many RVs have low amperage 12 VDC charging. Many as little as 40 amps. Larger coach battery banks charge much faster using the engine alternator compared to RV charger/converters. While upgrading my old 1993 vintage 40 amp charger to a 60 amp charger (Two 6V coach AGM batteries) I noticed smart 4 level chargers can range on up to 100 amps for larger battery banks.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

i'm just a bit confused as to what you are asking? you say to try to run the generator? does it run? you mention automatic transfer switch. do you think it is not switching when you run the generator? are you trying to run the heater when the generator is on or off? if the generator is running, and if the transfer switch switched to generator power, there should be power going to the converter / charger which should allow the heater to run. if this is not the case then the heater is powered solely by the batteries and if they were low that could affect the heater operation. can you measure the voltage on the batteries with no shore power or generator running? this should provide a clue as to how charged they are. then start the generator and remeasure the battery voltage. if it increases the transfer switch is providing generator power to the converter / charger which is trying to recharge the batteries.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! Yes I had the generator running for awhile and tried to turn heat on. Blower came on but stopped after 15 seconds. I also tried to plug in a little portable electric heater in 3 different outlets and it did not work. I took the cover off the ATS box and it looks fine. The RV is a 2015 which we bought new (leftover in May2016). When we are hooked to shore power the portable heater worked fine. We would rather not use propane too costly! The RV is a Vengeance Toyhauler.
GoEaglesSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

i'll ty to help but I will be making a few assumptions. first, if you have a ats i'm assuming the generator is built in and could easily be an onan generator. the first thing that needs to be confirmed is if you are getting any power out of the generator. when you have the generator running do you get 110 vac power anywhere? you say there are outlets not working, what about the microwave? knowing that you are getting 110 volt power anywhere would eliminate several possible areas to look at. have you ever run the generator and got 110 volt power from it or is this the first try? if you are not getting 110 volt power anywhere from the generator try flipping (resetting) the circuit breakers that are on the generator itself. many times these will flip and the generator will run but it will not be outputting any power. there have been posts about the ats being wired improperly or the wires coming loose. but for now can you check to see if you are getting any power anywhere from the generator and that you have reset the generator circuit breakers. if there is still a problem it will take tracking it down one component at a time.

Tags
switch, transfer switch