Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #1

Battery Control Center

I have a 2017 Forest River Forester class C motor home.
Problem: There is a relay or circuit breaker or something in the Battery Control Center that seems to click twice at random times. Nothing seems to blink or trip when this happens. This has been going on for a week or so since we hit the road. Again, everything seems to be working fine.
Am I headed for disaster while boondocking somewhere?
Anyone's help would be much appreciated!
Mike
mharold101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharold101 View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River Forester class C motor home.
Problem: There is a relay or circuit breaker or something in the Battery Control Center that seems to click twice at random times. Nothing seems to blink or trip when this happens. This has been going on for a week or so since we hit the road. Again, everything seems to be working fine.
Am I headed for disaster while boondocking somewhere?
Anyone's help would be much appreciated!
Mike
Random clicking COULD be as simple as a loose wire that interrupts the power going to the solenoid's coil.

I'd check all connections to make sure they are secure. Random "events" are difficult to diagnose because they never seem to happen while you are looking for them so the best one can do is to check connections and for any visible faults like damaged wires.

Regular checking of the house battery state of charge and charging voltage during your trip could avoid any disaster and the control center does fail, it's possible to bypass it while driving to make sure the batteries charge. Just be sure to "un-bypass" when engine is off to prevent unwanted discharge.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #3

The only relay in the BCC that would be loud enough to hear is the isolator relay (there are also a few smaller ones which will be nearly silent). Depending upon battery voltage, charging voltage (alternator or converter) it will open/close based upon the programing in the battery isolation manager.
Go to Precision Circuits Inc. web site and you will find the needed info to determine if it is malfunctioning as well as troubleshooting guides.

This link will get to the troubleshooting guide. It shows it as a single assembly but in your BCC they are the same but mounted separately.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks guys...the only thing I have found is a broken ground stud in the 30 amp rv plug.
I'm replacing that plug and hope the clicking goes away.
Thanks for your help!
mharold101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery