Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Camper Newbie

Best Black Tank Cleaner?

What have been found to be the best way to clean a black water tank. The best wand to use going through the toilet?
R&R in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

This TT has the built in tank rinser which works OK. Previous TT, I used the Valterra Flush King, which I think worked great (going on 9 yrs with it). I use the combination of both of them and it works perfectly satisfactory. I don't have to backflush with the flush king as many times or fill the tank as far up with it and the tank rinser seems more effective. So it's a quicker flush out. I don't use any other potions or chemicals other than what you would put in the tank with the initial charge with 5 gal of water. It don't stink and the DW is Always thought the wand buisness was a hassle draging in a hose and the ones that connect to the sink can't develop enough pressure to get it done IMO
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&R in Florida View Post
What have been found to be the best way to clean a black water tank. The best wand to use going through the toilet?
Do you have a black tank rinse? A lot of the newer RVs do, if not Jeff64's post is sound advice.

Here is a file I created that should get you going in the right direction
------
Holding Tanks 101

The first thing to remember is the holding tanks are just that, "Holding Tanks" and not a Septic System!

DO's
•Use plenty of water when you flush.
•Let the tanks fill to at least 3/4's full before dumping.
•Dump the Black Tank 1st & Gray Tank 2nd.

Don'ts
•Don't leave the black tank dump valves open or you just might end up with the dreaded pyramid ‘o poo J.
•Don't dump anything other than water down the kitchen sink. Why? The Gray Tank does not have a power rinser and the outlet pipe is only about 1-1/4" compared to the 3" black tank drain line. This allows food particles to remain in the tank.
•Restrict the use of chlorine bleach. It's bad for the seals and not really good for a septic system (the place you are dumping YOUR holding tanks.
•Don't mix rinse tank hoses with fresh water hoses. (Ewwwww!...but I have seen this done on multiple occasions at campgrounds!)

Dump/Rinse Procedure
1. Put on a set of gloves – I went to farm supply and got a really nice pair of chemical gloves for @ $5 and they work SO much better than those cheapo disposable sewer gloves.
2. Check you hose connections.
3. Pull the dump handle of the black tank. Let the tank empty completely before you turn the rinser on.
4. Hook the hose up to the black tank rinse and run the rinser until the line runs clear water.
5. Open the gray tank valve and let it drain.
10. Close the gray tank valve, replace the cap, rinse your hose and let it drain before placing it in storage.
11. Put a liberal amount of hand sanitizer on your gloves and then wipe off with a paper towel. Take off your gloves and wash your hands (or at least use hand sanitizer).

Homebrew Tank Chemical mix
Equal parts of:
· Water
· SuperClean (You can get it on amazon.com)
· Liquid Calgon
· Pinesol
I usually mix up a couple of gallons at a time and this is usually good for a whole camping season. After every dump, I put 6OZ in my black tank & 4OZ in each of my gray tanks. Then add a gallon of water to each tank to get things started J
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

As with our previous TT I periodically use the Geo Method. With the previous trailer I wanded the tank periodically but with the newer trailer there's a built in tank rinser and so I'm hoping that won't be necessary. If so, there's a bathroom window and the hose can come in through there.

The proof is in the pudding - when we sold the previous trailer after eight years' use, all of the sensors were still working correctly.

We typically dump our tanks at home with the use of a Flojet macerator pump and a custom-installed sewer access point.

The Flojet - the appropriately coloured brown hose is for draining while the green garden hose is for freshwater backfilling and cleaning out the Flojet and drain hose when finished.

The cleanout, with plug and hose attachment.

With our newer trailer none of the sensors have read accurately since we bought it this spring so during our last trip some Geo Method went into each of the three waste tanks and was in there for the slosh-around on the drive home. Yesterday I dumped the tanks at home for the first time.
  • Black, dumped then rinsed repeatedly and allowed to fill to 2/3 before final draining. Sensors working now.
  • Galley, dumped then back flushed through the Flojet's fresh water port to 2/3 full before final draining. Sensors working now.
  • Bathroom grey, dumped then back flushed through the Flojet's fresh water port to 2/3 full before final draining. Sensors working now.
It's my experience that LOTS of fresh water and sufficient time are essential for a thorough cleaning. Unfortunately both of these are hard to find at the campground dump station, though you usually have more time if you dump coming in vs going out.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Camper Newbie

Thanks for all your advice ........ will work on all that I need to get done correctly and keep it maintained.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

Camco Tornado

I watched numerous reviews on YouTube and decided to add the Tornado to both my Black and Grey Holding tanks. The units cost between $20 and $30 each. Installation took about 1/2 hour per tank. I routed the supply hoses to just above the sewer drain dump port and connected them with a "Y" hose connector and valve assembly.

When you are ready to break camp. connect the dedicated black water hose to the CG supply (always use a water pressure regulator and a backflow preventer turn up the flow slowly!) and top off both tanks with the rinser if not already full. Hopefully you have a clear sewer pipe elbow or clear straight section somewhere on the stinky slinky so that you will be able to see when it is running clear. Open the Black water valve & dump with the Tornado running. Let it continue running for about 5 minutes with the gate valve open. Then close the valve & watch from the toilet to let the tank fill to nearly full again. Then pull the gate valve open again while watching for any remaining solids to flow out. When finally clear of solids, let the Tornado continue running with the valve open ... you should see clear water and no solids. At this point I check the gauges to see if they are reading empty or if some spent tissue is still causing them to read incorrectly. If the tank gauge reads empty, turn the Tornado flow valve off and let the tank drain. Then close the Black tank gate valve. open the grey tank gate valve and slowly turn on the tornado in the grey tank and let it run for about 5 minutes while it is running, go check the grey tank sensors to see if it is empty. Since the Grey tank has few solids that can clog up the sensors and the tornado will generally knock the grease, slime, and soap scum off the tank walls and sensors, you should be finished. If the tank sensors are still not reading correctly, you may want to let the tornado run longer before shutting it off and closing the gate valve and disconnecting stinky slinky.

IMHO, the Camco Tornado is a great investment for your camper if it is not already equipped with a tank rinser.

........... Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Camper Newbie

No Stink

Thanks for your input. I'm going to incorporate this along with a couple other suggestions to assure I have a tank I can eat out of ...... well, maybe not ....ha ha
Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I watched numerous reviews on YouTube and decided to add the Tornado to both my Black and Grey Holding tanks. The units cost between $20 and $30 each. Installation took about 1/2 hour per tank. I routed the supply hoses to just above the sewer drain dump port and connected them with a "Y" hose connector and valve assembly.

When you are ready to break camp. connect the dedicated black water hose to the CG supply (always use a water pressure regulator and a backflow preventer turn up the flow slowly!) and top off both tanks with the rinser if not already full. Hopefully you have a clear sewer pipe elbow or clear straight section somewhere on the stinky slinky so that you will be able to see when it is running clear. Open the Black water valve & dump with the Tornado running. Let it continue running for about 5 minutes with the gate valve open. Then close the valve & watch from the toilet to let the tank fill to nearly full again. Then pull the gate valve open again while watching for any remaining solids to flow out. When finally clear of solids, let the Tornado continue running with the valve open ... you should see clear water and no solids. At this point I check the gauges to see if they are reading empty or if some spent tissue is still causing them to read incorrectly. If the tank gauge reads empty, turn the Tornado flow valve off and let the tank drain. Then close the Black tank gate valve. open the grey tank gate valve and slowly turn on the tornado in the grey tank and let it run for about 5 minutes while it is running, go check the grey tank sensors to see if it is empty. Since the Grey tank has few solids that can clog up the sensors and the tornado will generally knock the grease, slime, and soap scum off the tank walls and sensors, you should be finished. If the tank sensors are still not reading correctly, you may want to let the tornado run longer before shutting it off and closing the gate valve and disconnecting stinky slinky.

IMHO, the Camco Tornado is a great investment for your camper if it is not already equipped with a tank rinser.

........... Swampy
Just a few days ago a guy built a clear tank and tried 4 or 5 methods. The Tornado did better than the rest after 5 minutes of flush. Still left enough for me to determine it is hardly worth the effort. The new flush systems work best and the 'wand' is effective.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
.IMHO, the Camco Tornado is a great investment for your camper if it is not already equipped with a tank rinser.
the Tornado and also the Quickie Flush are both very effective after market tank cleaning devices, ....... I prefer the QF because I've read reviews where people have said their Tornado stopped rotating, that doesn't mean it stops spraying water and cleaning, it just stops rotating,...... in a way, if that happens, I guess it becomes a QF,..... I've installed four(two bt and two gt) and very satisfied with the results,...... if you chose to install either, put it on the opposite side from the tank drain, FR installs their tank flushes on the drain side just above the drain pipe and although they do a good job of cleaning, IMO they would be more effective installed on the opposite side,......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

We are new RV's. We found a relatively new product that seems ideal: TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!.

We have been using it for a few months and it really seems to do the trick. It is a probiotic enzyme that destroys solid matter, kills ODOR and, keeps the sensors working. You can use it in BLACK tanks and GREY tanks. Grey tanks get to stinking too!

Any other users out there???
Waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #11

We don't pooh in our potty unless we absolutely have to. We use the campground facilities. Less chance of a build up, not as much stink. we also use Pinesol and a tank cleaner/deodorizer. Always start with plenty of water and always keep the Pinesol in the tank with a few gallons of water even if camper is sitting for a while. Helps keep the seals from drying out.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #12

I believe you ask about the Toilet Wand,,, it seams to work very well,,, if your potty dumps straight in to your Black Tank !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
We are new RV's. We found a relatively new product that seems ideal: TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!.

We have been using it for a few months and it really seems to do the trick. It is a probiotic enzyme that destroys solid matter, kills ODOR and, keeps the sensors working. You can use it in BLACK tanks and GREY tanks. Grey tanks get to stinking too!

Any other users out there???
YIKES that's expensive stuff! If you want to use a pre-made biologic, this stuff is cheaper and, IMHO, Mo'better

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Natura...ds=RV+Digestit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeLady View Post
We don't pooh in our potty unless we absolutely have to. We use the campground facilities. Less chance of a build up, not as much stink. we also use Pinesol and a tank cleaner/deodorizer. Always start with plenty of water and always keep the Pinesol in the tank with a few gallons of water even if camper is sitting for a while. Helps keep the seals from drying out.
See my previous post - if you use the GEO method (and an occasional dose of RV Digest It) you will have no problems.

I, for one, and not fond of putting my fanny on a public toilet if I can help it
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #14

I paid for every inch of my FW and I use every inch. I don't buy stuff for the next owner. DW and I take excellent care of our stuff. If anyone wants to buy our stuff when we are done with it that would be great. If not that is okay too. We get our money's worth.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 381HP 4.10 gears 6 speed automatic

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

Man, yall take it to the extreme. I guess if you start with a clean tank it's easier to keep it clean. I use AquaKem and Calgon. 8oz of each and 3-4 gallons of water to prime the tank after each flush. Our TT has the built in flush nozzle. I'll let that run until the tank is full, drain, fill it again, drain, and repeat until nothing but clear water comes out.

Just spent 3 weeks in our TT. Tank and sensors are fine.

Also have a full hookup at the house. If I'm really interested in a deeper clean I'll throw some Digest-It in all the tanks and let it sit for 3-5 days on a full tank.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
YIKES that's expensive stuff! If you want to use a pre-made biologic, this stuff is cheaper and, IMHO, Mo'better

https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Natura...ds=RV+Digestit

See my previous post - if you use the GEO method (and an occasional dose of RV Digest It) you will have no problems.

I, for one, and not fond of putting my fanny on a public toilet if I can help it
I am currently using 3 Unique products with very good results.

I just used the RV Digestit in both gray and black tanks on a 5 day trip last week and everything flowed clear in each when dumped.

I also used their Drain Field Rejuvenator and Drain Field Treatment at home and they made a HUGE difference in my drain field performance...was seeing puddled water after showers but no more. Really good stuff...$.02
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #17

Have our latest method & it works great...we travel with a couple decent size buckets (to carry all the fish we catch ;-) ) so after dumping the black tank we 'rinse' with buckets of fresh water poured down the toilet ... breaks everything up really well and moves it out. If there is full hookup we really clean it up, if dump station a bucket or two is enough. Add a bit more water & the deodorizer & ready to head home til the next outing (try for at least monthly) ...

This last trip out we did the same with our grey tank, really flushing out from the kitchen sink then the bathroom sink ... lots of particulate material rinsed out of our drain pipes.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #18

In 8 years of camping me and DW has never used the campground bathroom. We never use the outside shower to wash off so I use that hose always hooked up to flush out the black water tank, sometimes I use hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
In 8 years of camping me and DW has never used the campground bathroom. We never use the outside shower to wash off so I use that hose always hooked up to flush out the black water tank, sometimes I use hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

X 2 since 1978!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank