Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaster View Post
Sounds good so far I will be waiting to hear how it goes. Also while I was doing some research I found an extended run gas kit.

Tank
Can you give me the info, in the manual they say do not let them run out under load it can damage the generator. I question that, but still don't want to get up in the middle of the night to add gas. I'll keep you informed.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
And I believe you can apply the 20% off coupon they have out all the time.
Well that stinks.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Well that stinks.
Yes, I don't think you can use that if you use the advertised price, but that's over 60% anyway. Depends on what your buying I guess and if it's on sale[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 02-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Well that stinks.
If you read the fine print, generators don't qualify for the 20% coupon.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you read the fine print, generators don't qualify for the 20% coupon.
Just hate that find print, but what they advertise should be the same thing that's in the product manual, it's close but not the same, ie: the weight, db and gas tank. All different , but close.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 02-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well, got my 2 - 2000 predators , got them both up and running, I will not get the pairing kit until Monday. So far they are really quite running on eco. a little loud on full, much heavier then I thought but start on 1 pull. Only a 1 gal tank internal I filled them both up 1/2 will see how long they last without a load. Very nice unit, one thing the specs call for 10/40 oil but they tell you for normal operation use 10/30 , so i put in 10/30, confusing there. Also they say a 90 day warranty but HF says 2 year. Will get back to this thread Tuesday after I power up the 5er. ....
10w30, especially a syn blend or full syn variety will work fine. I use 10w30 year round in my Yamaha 2000 unit. Winter, summer, and everything in between. It s now on its 4th year.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Can you give me the info, in the manual they say do not let them run out under load it can damage the generator. I question that, but still don't want to get up in the middle of the night to add gas. I'll keep you informed.
Yes I will post as soon as I find it again lol. I saw a couple some were caps for the genny with a pipe to hook up to a fuel hose. Others wee like this. IPI Industries Breeze Extended Run Generator System - BERG System: Single Feed, Model HND1.2-000iS that's the whole set up. I think that was northern tool site. I just googled extended run kit I was looking for one for the champion.
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Yes I will post as soon as I find it again lol. I saw a couple some were caps for the genny with a pipe to hook up to a fuel hose. Others wee like this. IPI Industries Breeze Extended Run Generator System - BERG System: Single Feed, Model HND1.2-000iS that's the whole set up. I think that was northern tool site. I just googled extended run kit I was looking for one for the champion.
Okay thanks, I do have a whole house generator and that is grounded, do you have a ground a portable one? There is a grounding lug on the face of the unit, but nothing in the manual that I have read? What or how would you ground it? Do you ground yours? Thanks

Old 02-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Okay thanks, I do have a whole house generator and that is grounded, do you have a ground a portable one? There is a grounding lug on the face of the unit, but nothing in the manual that I have read? What or how would you ground it? Do you ground yours? Thanks
Predator 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Extended Run Fuel Cap
PREDATOR II 2000 WATT INVERTER GENERATOR EXTENDED RUN FUEL CAP
1/3
Brand new: lowest price
$34.95Free Shipping
Sorry this is what I was talking about. It's just to hook up to a fuel can do you can run it all night without refilling the fuel tank. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Tank
Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #70

Quote:
Predator 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Extended Run Fuel Cap
PREDATOR II 2000 WATT INVERTER GENERATOR EXTENDED RUN FUEL CAP
1/3
Brand new: lowest price
$34.95Free Shipping
Sorry this is what I was talking about. It's just to hook up to a fuel can do you can run it all night without refilling the fuel tank. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Tank
Couldn't you use just a outboard motor gas tank with the primer bulb and put a tee in the line for 2 and buy two caps with barbs on them? Be a lot cheaper then what I have just seen? Would that work?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Couldn't you use just a outboard motor gas tank with the primer bulb and put a tee in the line for 2 and buy two caps with barbs on them? Be a lot cheaper then what I have just seen? Would that work?
Yes absolutely I just found those caps so it would make it easier to do. With those you don't need the primer bulb according to what I read because they are self siphoning. The Coleman specifically said that I need a primer because they aren't self siphoning. Some of the caps come with the barb on them. Keep me posted.

Tank
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #72

Quote:
Mine also has that grounding lug and to answer your question, no, I don't ground mine. But I kept seeing things that told me about the neutral/ground thing and there's a guy on Utube that explains it, so I made my neutral ground bond out of a male end I bought for an extension cord. Just run a jumper wire from the terminal on the left to the center ground terminal. easy. Be sure and find the video. Maybe there's an electrician on the forum that can help us out.
aquenichet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #73

Okay thanks, will check it out

Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquenichet View Post
Mine also has that grounding lug and to answer your question, no, I don't ground mine. But I kept seeing things that told me about the neutral/ground thing and there's a guy on Utube that explains it, so I made my neutral ground bond out of a male end I bought for an extension cord. Just run a jumper wire from the terminal on the left to the center ground terminal. easy. Be sure and find the video. Maybe there's an electrician on the forum that can help us out.
This is very interesting, I just talked to progressive, they said I either have to make a grounding plug or put my hard wired EMS in by-pass mode. They said that they feel it would be okay to do that, but you won't be protected on spikes. All this talk about generators on here and it has never been mentioned, now this is for a invertor generator potable generator only, so thanks aquenichet for this info, now they use to make this plug and said they stopped, you have to make your own, so back to ytube. A good y-tube on this is called testing and bonding a floating nuterial generator. how do other members handle this?..

Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #75

Well, I'm not an electrician, but what I can tell all your doing is tricking the ems. The problem I think would be that now you don't have a neutral. You have just combined the neutral buds bar and founding bar together. Yes you will get 120 volts. Now the units comes with a external ground terminal, so why couldn't you run a wire from there to your frame, either on your TT or to your TV? Wouldn't that be safer? Has anyone tired this? Maybe a electrician can shred some light on this, I'll try Monday after I get my pairing wire and see, I do want my EMS in line.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Well, I'm not an electrician, but what I can tell all your doing is tricking the ems. The problem I think would be that now you don't have a neutral. You have just combined the neutral buds bar and founding bar together. Yes you will get 120 volts. Now the units comes with a external ground terminal, so why couldn't you run a wire from there to your frame, either on your TT or to your TV? Wouldn't that be safer? Has anyone tired this? Maybe a electrician can shred some light on this, I'll try Monday after I get my pairing wire and see, I do want my EMS in line.
Sorry about the auto correct, but you can figure it out.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #77

The neutral ground bond plug is easy to do. This is the best description of why you need it that I can find. You need to make sure you do not use it when connecting to a home or CG. It can be hazardous if there are two on a system and you home does this in the breaker box.
http://ricksdiy.com/generators/porta...-honda-yamaha/

I use this with my Yamaha and champion inverters to also use my EMS.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #78

I wouldn't obsess over the ground lug on a portable generator. For years and years these small gensets didn't have them but if they are used on a construction site, often the "OSHA" inspector will demand that the units be grounded. A jumper cable to a cold water pipe or ground rod was enough for many in days past but now some inspectors want to see a specified "ground point".

The reason to use the "jumper plug" is to provide the same ground/neutral bond that occurs in power panels for electrical equipment that requires continuity between ground and neutral. My home furnace is picky like this so when powering it during power outages I need to use my "cheater plug".

If campground posts are wired correctly the ground and neutral meet up back at the distribution panel.

On that last note, it's not a bad idea to carry a test plug that tells you if the hot and neutral are reversed or if the ground connection is bad. Considering the number of different people that plug into those posts in just a year's period of time, can you imagine the wear, tear, and abuse they get. They don't always get replaced correctly either.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
The neutral ground bond plug is easy to do. This is the best description of why you need it that I can find. You need to make sure you do not use it when connecting to a home or CG. It can be hazardous if there are two on a system and you home does this in the breaker box.
http://ricksdiy.com/generators/porta...-honda-yamaha/

I use this with my Yamaha and champion inverters to also use my EMS.
Yes, this is what was on y tube, I will go that way, thanks

Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #80

Quote:
Sorry to say you are wrong , I have a split system at my home no heat strips, it will produce over 100 degree heat at 5 degrees amb air. There are only 2 company's now producing this LG and Mitsubishi, not carrier or Trane, nobody period meaning USA made. Have done HVAC my whole life retired from it after 25 years if they can make a split system they should be able to make a roof top for RV' S.
It's not economical to do with the RV industry.

Retired electricin after 45 years.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, service