Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 05:32 PM   #1

best way to mount cell booster antennae

I bought this 25' telescoping pole and will mount my directional antennae to the top. Now I need to fasten the pole to my trailer so it doesn't fall over. The kit comes with these two cheap plastic clips:

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...le-990056.html

Each clip is slightly bigger than a credit card and has "3M" tape on the back, but my siding on my trailer is ribbed aluminum and when that clip is pressed to the side of the trailer it's not going to glue/stick against much due to the uneven surface area of the ribs.

Any ideas? I'd prefer not to screw the clips to the trailer as A) then I have potential water leaks and B) the clips don't have much meat on them and will probably crack when tightening them up.
localdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #2

I just bought the same Wilson mounting pole for my fiver a couple weeks ago to mount a Pepwave antenna on it. Unlike you, I have smooth sidewalls to mount those plastic clips to the pole, but I don't feel it's a sturdy enough way to keep the pole from falling, especially in high wind conditions.

So, what I did as an alternate way to keep mine in place is bought a pair of TechnoRV antenna mounts with large screw hose clamps. The ones that come with the antenna mounts are too small to use with this mounting pole, but larger ones are available from Amazon that'll work perfectly.

All this said, the setup I'm planning to use will only work for you too if you have at least one slide out with windows and/or smooth sidewalls.

TechnoRV Suction Cup Antenna Mount
https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Suct...s%2C114&sr=8-3

2.5 Inch Thumb Screw Key Adjustable Hose Clamps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

I made up two flats steel plates to put the stick on mounts on, then mounted the plates to my ladder with U-bolts. The bottom of the pole rests on the bumper.

It has worked well so far...Attachment 271984Attachment 271985Click image for larger version

Name:	20220423_114626.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	271986Click image for larger version

Name:	20220423_114544.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	271987
Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I made up two flats steel plates to put the stick on mounts on, then mounted the plates to my ladder with U-bolts. The bottom of the pole rests on the bumper.

It has worked well so far...Attachment 271984Attachment 271985Attachment 271986Attachment 271987

Dude, that's a great mod!....looks like it'll be much more stable in windy conditions having the help of that ladder. Where did you buy the steel plates from and how much are they?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas everyone. The ladder idea is interesting, I don't have a ladder either.

My trailer is the Forest River Salem 171 RBXL. How would I find out if there are mounting plates in the wall ready to accept a ladder? Does every trailer have them in the same spot?
Old 04-24-2022, 11:39 AM   #6

I have the crank up type antenna on my RV, I strapped my Omni directional cell antenna and my WiFi booster antenna to the tv antenna support bars .
I just crank it up on arrival and crank it down when leaving.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by localdev View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone. The ladder idea is interesting, I don't have a ladder either.

My trailer is the Forest River Salem 171 RBXL. How would I find out if there are mounting plates in the wall ready to accept a ladder? Does every trailer have them in the same spot?

I'd contact the dealer from whom you bought it to find out if there's a backer installed to support and add a ladder to the RV. Not all RV's without a roof ladder have the backer needed to install one, and their not always on the same side of the RV.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
Site Team

I Cut a 8" piece of 1 1/2" PVC and mounted it to the rear bumper with two large U-bolts and two pieces o f5X 1/2" aluminum bar with holes in each end. All painted black. Very easy to slip extendable fiberglass painters pole to support antenna. Be sure to mount the amplifier module in an area with sufficient air flow as it gets warm.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Dude, that's a great mod!....looks like it'll be much more stable in windy conditions having the help of that ladder. Where did you buy the steel plates from and how much are they?
Got it all from Lowe's. The metal was in their "project metal" bin. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it wasn't too expensive or I would of scrounged around for scrap somewhere. [emoji16]
Old 04-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #10

I also bought a 25 FT telescoping fiber glass pole from Amazon. Its actually a "kite pole". What I did was I bought a 3ft by 3" inch aluminum tube they sell them at fishing supplies , they are the same tubes they build fishing racks out of on boats and the tubes are to hold fishing rods. I then bolted it to the rear bumper, and I just put the pole in it after I park. You could also bolt that to your tongue or ladder but its really easy to put the poll in and out of it if this is a pole you collapse and put into storage. I have a directional WIFI repeater and a 4G antenna on top of it. So I swivel it to point the repeater at the WIFI source.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #11

I can definitely bolt something to the rear bumper, it also has the spare tire mounted to it, but I'm worried that that will not give me enough support in terms of height. The height from the ground to the top of the tire rack carrier is about 3 feet. So I can support the first 3 feet of the 25' telescoping antennae but after that it would just be free to flop around in the wind. I was hoping to get the pole supported all the way near the top of my trailer.

Maybe 3 feet is enough?

Or maybe if I do your slide-pole-inside-of-tubing trick and the tubing brace runs up higher than 3 feet that would be effective enough too, bringing the support to the antennae closer to 5 or 6 feet?

I'm obviously not an engineer
Old 04-26-2022, 08:22 AM   #12

This is how I mount our tv antenna pole, a 24ft painters pole from Lowe's, ... snaps into the clips, easy up, easy down, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	272154   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	272155   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	43