Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #1

Black and Gray water tank valves

I have a 2015 Dynamax Rev which I purchased used this year.
The push/pull handles for these valves are located in box inside exterior storage compartment and even with lots of lubricant, extremely difficult to open/close.
One or both of these valves will not close completely and as such when I remove end cap to connect dump hose at dump station, there is a very bad mess to clean up.
Any suggestions or best to just bite the bullet and purchase and install new valves and operating cables?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Alan Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #2

If they are already sticking they likely have rust or corrosion of some type in them. SoaK them with penetrating oil. A handy trick I have used on other types of cables is to remove the handle. Put some light weight oil in a balloon, slip the balloon over the end of the cable and secure it with a rubber band or tie wrap. Gently squeeze the balloon to force the oil down the cable. If that doesn’t loosen them up you are probably going to need to replace them.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #3

Being as the handles are located within inside an exterior storage compartment I wonder IF the valve handles are connected to the valves with a cable. On my previous TT they were cable connected and very hard to open or close. When I removed part of the underbelly cover I found that the cable itself was six (6) feet long but the distance from the handles to the valves was only about three (3) feet. I cut the cable so that they were more straight inline between the handles and the valves, removed the valves themselves, took them apart and cleaned them and installed rebuild kits on each one. Once all this was back together the system worked really easy. IF you are thinking about replacing the valves then you will be removing the existing valves. You can buy rebuild kits for each valves, about $6-$8 each, and rebuild them while you have them out, , ,

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Tank- black/gray water tank valves.

Doug,
Thanks for your insight.
Will try as suggested, but looks like replacement will be the path of least resistance.
Again thanks for replying.
Alan.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Being as the handles are located within inside an exterior storage compartment I wonder IF the valve handles are connected to the valves with a cable. On my previous TT they were cable connected and very hard to open or close. When I removed part of the underbelly cover I found that the cable itself was six (6) feet long but the distance from the handles to the valves was only about three (3) feet. I cut the cable so that they were more straight inline between the handles and the valves, removed the valves themselves, took them apart and cleaned them and installed rebuild kits on each one. Once all this was back together the system worked really easy. IF you are thinking about replacing the valves then you will be removing the existing valves. You can buy rebuild kits for each valves, about $6-$8 each, and rebuild them while you have them out, , ,
Many thanks.
A lot of learning with these little “beasties”.
I’m on it.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #6

Valterra does make a valve that twists on where your waste water hose hooks. That could be your temporary solution.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
Valterra does make a valve that twists on where your waste water hose hooks. That could be your temporary solution.
Great idea.
Sincere thanks.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #8

Cables may be to short

Some cables are to short and create a bind in the curves. If you are going to replace everything, consider going with electric valves. Just as easy to install.
Cajunrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

This is the easiest and best fix
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also insurance if you get your valves working
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrver View Post
Some cables are to short and create a bind in the curves. If you are going to replace everything, consider going with electric valves. Just as easy to install.
Many thanks. Another great idea.
I’ll certainly look into this one.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #11

For a temporary solution, just hold your drain hose beneath the cap, facing upward. When you remove the cap, catch the mess in the hose, then attach the hose and open the valve(s).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
For a temporary solution, just hold your drain hose beneath the cap, facing upward. When you remove the cap, catch the mess in the hose, then attach the hose and open the valve(s).
Another great idea. Thanks.
So many smart people out there.
Great to learn from others who have tread through the mess.
Will get there soon.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:54 PM   #13

I replaced my gray tank valve this morning. It would not close. Once I took it apart I found the factory installer used so much PVC glue that it oozed into the flanges and filled the groove the closure blade slides through. I tried cleaning the glue out, but did not work. A new one works great. Gray water is 1.5", black tank is 3". Mine was the kitchen sink, so not too bad.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #14

Here are YouTube showing how to l’un your valves. I do this when ever they start sticking. Cheap and easy to do.

https://youtu.be/2GDErKY05-8

https://youtu.be/TGv9THpOdmw
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, tank, valve, water, water tank