Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #1
Doozall

Blowing a fuse for lights

I have a 2022 wildwood 24rlxl. It's 1 year old. This weekend I went to camp and turned the bedroom light on and the fuse blew. Any idea what to do. The trailer is in a campground and hasn't moved since spring and the light worked up till now
Doozall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozall View Post
I have a 2022 wildwood 24rlxl. It's 1 year old. This weekend I went to camp and turned the bedroom light on and the fuse blew. Any idea what to do. The trailer is in a campground and hasn't moved since spring and the light worked up till now
Where is this fuse physically located?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135; Booked for 2022 = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
Doozall

It's in the main fuse box. When the fuse blew the red light came on.i put in another fuse. Just to see if I had a bad fuse and it blew. .I'm no electrician. It just ran out of warranty a month ago
Old 09-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Team

What does the fuse box legend say this fuse operates? "Bedroom"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135; Booked for 2022 = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
It's in the main fuse box. When the fuse blew the red light came on.i put in another fuse. Just to see if I had a bad fuse and it blew. .I'm no electrician. It just ran out of warranty a month ago
If the fuse blows as soon as you put it in you have a direct short somewhere in the circuit . does it blow even with the light switch off ? if so it's before lights . if it's after flipping switch then it's from switch to lights .

even not moving things can happen . do you put slides in and out when you come and go etc . Had a unit that was 17 yrs old 120 outlet all of a sudden started tripping breaker . had to go under unit and found where the 120v wire was smashed between floor and frame took 17 yrs to wear through and cause a issue . Edited to add you have a new unit and they are building pure dog doo now
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Doozall

The fuse blows only when I turn the lights on. I'm wondering if one of the lights goes bad .will that blow the fuse The slide has been out all summer
Old 09-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
The fuse blows only when I turn the lights on. I'm wondering if one of the lights goes bad .will that blow the fuse The slide has been out all summer
That makes it easier to find then . you know it's between switch and last light on the chain . start pulling lights and inspect , check wiring and if you see a light that looks off pull it from the chain and try again . trial and error until you narrow it down .. could be a pinched wire and not sure if a bad led will blow a fuse
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:20 PM   #8

Possible

Quote:
The fuse blows only when I turn the lights on. I'm wondering if one of the lights goes bad, will that blow the fuse The slide has been out all summer
That's possible.

Is the switch for that light on the light or on the wall?
--If it's on the light, the problem is probably in the light?
--If it's on the wall, take down the light and remove one wire. Now turn on the switch and see if the fuse blows.
----If it still blows, the problem is in the wiring.
----If it does not blow, the problem is in the light.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
Pseudonym

I had a similar issue with lights in my trailer blowing fuses on two different circuits. Any light that was on that circuit was removed from the wall/ceiling and disconnected from the wiring. My entire camper is wired with Wago connectors, which is really awesome (if installed correctly!).

Scenario 1:
With the three lights removed, I plugged one light in and flipped the switch. It worked.
Added a second light to the mix. It worked.
Added the third light to the mix. It worked... Crap.

I inspected the wiring at each connector and found my golden ticket. Whoever installed the wiring/lights did a poor job stripping the wires and inserting them in the Wago connectors. Some of the wire strands on one wire were frayed back so far that they were shorting against the other wire; this other wire was stripped so far back that bare wire was exposed outside the Wago connector. I don't know why it worked for the first year just fine and now started causing trouble.

Scenario 2:
Repeated the process above, only to find that one of the LED lights was faulty. Replaced it and no more issue.
BrandonSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
Doozall

Ok thank you very much for the help it's really appreciated. Next weekend when I go to camp I'll try that. Again thank you
Old 09-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #11
Doozall

The switch is in the bedroom wall and I have 2 lights in the ceiling. Fortunately that switch is at the end of the line. It's after the bathroom lighs and fan. The lights and fan work ok. When I hit the bedroom switch I lose everything. I've even turned the bath fan and lights off. Then tried the bedroom switch and it blows the fuse

Tags
fuse, light