Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Blowing cold and hot air from vents

Hello, my family and I are enjoying our 2019 Forest River TC. This our first night and we notice that the furnace is blowing out warm air from the bottom vents tonight like we want. But the top vents are blowing as well, but the air is cold. Seems kind of weird on a freezer night the furnace would be working great, but why would the fan be blowing in air from the top vents as well? Doesn't seem right. Thoughts?
jasonhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #2

Try reinitializing dometic thermostat, then fan set to auto. Then try furnace.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team

It's common to see that reported here.

Generally, you don't have to reinitialize your thermostat. Just use the thermostat's Mode button to cycle to FAN - then use + or - button to cycle from HI or LO to AU for Auto. The A/C compressor is not running -- just the A/C's blower. Some people view it as a feature to stir/circulate warm air.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhol View Post
Hello, my family and I are enjoying our 2019 Forest River TC. This our first night and we notice that the furnace is blowing out warm air from the bottom vents tonight like we want. But the top vents are blowing as well, but the air is cold. Seems kind of weird on a freezer night the furnace would be working great, but why would the fan be blowing in air from the top vents as well? Doesn't seem right. Thoughts?
I'm guessing that you have a Palomino TC(truck camper) since Palomino is the only FR division that makes truck campers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

Thank you guys. I had my wife try and she told me it worked. Works a little differently than any of the other thermostats I used. Usually you have a fan control and a heat/ac control separate. Looks like they tried to simplify the interface with only three buttons, it confused me. So first you set the fan, then you set the cool or heat with the fan setting. Can't say I'm a fan of it, but as long as it works!

Thank you again.
jasonhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhol View Post
Thank you guys. I had my wife try and she told me it worked. Works a little differently than any of the other thermostats I used. Usually you have a fan control and a heat/ac control separate. Looks like they tried to simplify the interface with only three buttons, it confused me. So first you set the fan, then you set the cool or heat with the fan setting. Can't say I'm a fan of it, but as long as it works!

Thank you again.
The thermostat is designed that way intentionally so you have the option of moving the warm air (heat rises) that is near the ceiling via the A/C fan when using the furnace. It is an option by design from the manufacturer.

I know you said the air felt cold but as mentioned, the A/C compressor isn't running, just the fan. It didn't feel warm because it isn't further heating the air put out by the furnace, it's just moving what warmed air is up there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

If you had a heat pump, then I'd say that is your problem. You could just turn it off because a heat pump produces what we've come to call "cold heat". So, be sure the a/c is off so it stays out of the heat pump mode.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
If you had a heat pump, then I'd say that is your problem. You could just turn it off because a heat pump produces what we've come to call "cold heat". So, be sure the a/c is off so it stays out of the heat pump mode.
Interesting thoughts on the heat pump.

Our last 5th wheel had a heat pump and it kept the inside toasty down to about 40°.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Interesting thoughts on the heat pump.

Our last 5th wheel had a heat pump and it kept the inside toasty down to about 40°.
The FR A-frames come standard with the Cool Cat/heat pump. Heat pump is a selectable mode on the thermostat, so you can't run heat pump and heater at the same time.

As stated, heat pump works great when you have shore power and outside temp is above 40 deg F. Below about 42 deg, heat pump runs nearly continuously with no heat effect. Heat pump and A/C have better distribution in most A-frame models compared to the propane heater.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent