Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand new 25RBHL - Bad Air Conditioner

Like the title says - Discovered Air didn't work on her Maiden Voyage. Didn't catch it on the PDI because is was 40 degrees.

Now I have to take it in to be "evaluated", then they apply for warranty, blah, blah, blah. I'll save my speech about customer service, and get to my quesiton.

I see several stores have portable Air Conditioners. Has anyone used one in their RV ? Looks like to me I could get one for about $300 or so and possibly save the summer camping season if this drags out like I think it's going to.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:29 PM   #2

We have a standalone portable air conditioner at home. (We keep it in case the air conditioner goes out or we lose a/c because it will operate on 120 from our generator.)
Most require a way to vent it with a fairly large hose. However, ours works well and we can control it with a remote control.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Most require a way to vent it with a fairly large hose.
I saw a picture in one of the advertisements of a hose vented out a window. I think I could take out a screen in the living room and vent it out, and seal it up around the hose.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwriley1053 View Post
Like the title says - Discovered Air didn't work on her Maiden Voyage. Didn't catch it on the PDI because is was 40 degrees.

Now I have to take it in to be "evaluated", then they apply for warranty, blah, blah, blah. I'll save my speech about customer service, and get to my quesiton.

I see several stores have portable Air Conditioners. Has anyone used one in their RV ? Looks like to me I could get one for about $300 or so and possibly save the summer camping season if this drags out like I think it's going to.
The a/c had its own separate warranty. Contact the manufacturer and see about a authorized mobile RV technician can fix it. Forget dealing with the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
I saw a picture in one of the advertisements of a hose vented out a window. I think I could take out a screen in the living room and vent it out, and seal it up around the hose.
They come with "filler panels", but the panels are designed for house type windows, with screens on the outside.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The a/c had its own separate warranty. Contact the manufacturer and see about a authorized mobile RV technician can fix it. Forget dealing with the dealer.
vE!!
Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Forget the dealer! The manufacturer will have a list of authorized repair shops that will fix or most likely replace a lot faster than your dealer!!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #7

We had a portable unit that we used in our toyhauler in the garage area worked great.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:47 PM   #8

On our maiden voyage with our new Crusader Lite 5th wheel, we also found that our Dometic 15K air conditioner was not cooling. I knew better that go back to the dealer so that my new 5th wheel could sit on their lot for who knows how long. I instead contacted a independent RV repair shop that would do warranty work. I took the trailer to them on a Friday morning and was called the following Monday to pick it up. The repair shop contacted Dometic and was authorized to install a new AC unit. My cost was the diesel I burned taking it to the shop. Remember, your dealer is not the one who warrants your AC, nor is the trailer manufacturer, it is the manufacturer of the ac unit.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #9

Yes and YES, they are totally worth buying just to have as a spare

Quote:

I bought the 14k BTU from Home Depot, think it was LG and its about $400. So so worth the money. We use it for everything including dehumidification, as it has a dehumidifier mode. I live in Houston and its just a must have. The only thing about it for RV use is it does have a dryer hose type exhaust, that blows the hot air out and that would have to be piped out the door or a window unless you cut a hole in the wall and install a dryer hose wall adapter.

If I had to go back, I would get one that has heat also, just because they are so so handy on the fly as a backup.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner