Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Brand New Salem 260RT Cruise lite

Not really how I imagined I would join the forums as this has been helpful with the our search for what I wanted, but at least im here. My Wife and I had been on the hunt for a toy hauler for a little while, and though we probably wont use it like most people, the room is what is enticing.

Long story short, we did the delivery (pretty pushed through) signed papers and dragged it home. To find the under belly was dragging down the highway the whole time. to add to it the water barrier has a huge cut in it that would have trashed my floor if moisture had gotten in.

SO here is where I'm at, I have a laundry list of things that are kind of pissing me off, I feel like I bought a trailer on a day they announced lay offs or pay cuts. Both speakers were not working correctly inside the camper, took it apart to find them caked in saw dust and wood chips. The shower doors keep falling off the tracks on the bottom. The weather stripping for the back door is not in the correct spot in multiple places, door striker bent to where it wouldn't stay latched and some pretty poor propane plumbing. I'm sure I will find more and I'm not trying to pick the thing apart but it didn't start off on the right foot, I have only owned for a week and towed it home and parked it. Total of 20 miles....

What im asking for is what do with warranty work, is this stuff covered? Am I going be told wait till it fails? I kind of want know what to expect before I go in. This dealer is huge and tends to want money before work and I wont stand for it. I also understand these campers are far from perfection, but I guess where I'm at with it, its brand new and I cant even take down the street.

Any advice is welcomed at this point, and truthfully it could be worse, thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1756.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	233097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1758.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	233098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1753.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	233099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1761.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	233100  
Chris M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, I'm thinking you should absolutely take it back,You paid for a new trailer!
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Team

You can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician to do the warranty work. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the Adventure.

sDealers are very busy this time of year and it would take you a long time to 'get things fixed', weeks and months sometimes. Try to find an Independent RV Service that will do warranty work close by. Be patient, As with every new car/truck/RV there are a few bugs that pop up. Every unit seems to be built early Monday or Late Friday. Car dealers will 'fix' stuff more quickly, RV dealers is a 'wait' game and very slow to happen (if ever,) ie. go independent if you can. Let your dealer know of each problem by phone and e-mail, take pictures and dates (documentation and evidence). Use your RV now as 'issues' will not be 'fixed' 'soon', and by using your RV you will find more 'bugs'. Having a 'list' a mile long will get as many bugs fixed at once instead of going the 'game' of take, wait, approval, fix so so, rinse and repeat.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the information and welcome. I have been documenting it pretty well, I guess my fear is I don't want a reason for them not to do it. And thank you for the advice on warranty work from an outside repair person. I was told that was not allowed with Forest River.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #6

An independent mobile tech will do a better job 99.9999% of the time over most dealers. The dealer most often will keep it on the lot for months then half ***** fix most things and break a few more when they have an inexperienced kid with a few extra minutes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #7

Well small update. I pondered the situation more and decided to take it back where we bought it. But the biggest one was the salesman we had was more than willing to help. Took it up the chain and told us a week. We can live with that. I will post some pictures of the repair. Mean time I have been looking at an smaller repair shop.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #8

Well I’m a bit embarrassed to post this as I rather it be fun related but the dealer we bought it from has done nothing. It has sat in the lot for 3 weeks. We started week 4. I’ve kept in contact with FR and the dealer has done nothing but lie to us. I’m to the point of pulling in and just taking it home and fixing it myself. At this point is there any red flags back to FR for potential warranty work forward?
Old 07-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #9

If it's not too late, give the number on the FR Customer Satisfaction webpage a try. We had issues and they got the dealer to toe the line very quickly.

I hope you get some satisfaction!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
If it's not too late, give the number on the FR Customer Satisfaction webpage a try. We had issues and they got the dealer to toe the line very quickly.

I hope you get some satisfaction!
I wish I would have had the same luck as you. I never got a response.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, salem