Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Brand New Wildwood Leaks - HELP!

I factory ordered a 2015 Wildwood 39FDEN park model which I received in July 2014. I purchased the camper from my local Pennsylvania dealer and had it delivered to my permanent campsite in southern Delaware which is my vacation spot 150 miles from my home.

I built a hard top screenroom and new deck which I have attached to my new camper, so this unit is not to be moved without a great deal of work.

I found water to be seeping on the joint where the floor meets the wall on the back side of the unit between the two slide-outs. Water is somehow getting inside the aluminum siding and seeping into the camper at this spot. When it rains I can see a slow drip from the inside edge of the siding to the ground outside at this spot. The slide seals appear to be fine and don't seem to be the source. I have been able to replicate the leak by spraying a hose heavily at the roof/wall joint above the leak spot so I think it is coming from straight up above, but all joints and caulking appear fine.

My problem is that I have been unable to get the local Wildwood dealer to repair the leak and my new camper is surely going to begin rotting soon. Every time I call to set up a repair visit, it takes a month until they can get out. They were out in Sept. and again in Oct. and simply had a service tech caulk anything and everything he could find, to no avail. Then they were scheduled back in Nov. and cancelled the visit. Now they are supposed to be back next week but I have lost faith in this dealer to have the desire or incentive to repair my leak. I am thoroughly disgusted and don't know where to turn.

I have called Forest River to get my warranty complaint on file. They have advised that I can have an outside repair company do the work but I can't find anyone interested in doing this repair. I just can't believe I cannot get better warranty service from a Forest River dealer.

I am looking for suggestions and wondering how difficult can it really be for a dealer to find and repair a leak on a brand new camper. Now I am very concerned that the problem will not be fixed within the 1 year warranty time frame and will result in leak damage. I feel absolutely helpless, what should I do?
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

Just me, but I would get it fixed somewhere else. Forest River will reimburse you without problem.

I have a whole list of places I don't patronize due to experiences like yours.

Hope you get it fixed and enjoy many years with it.

Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas !
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Leaks are usually pretty easy to repair, but can be very hard to find. Water can enter in one spot and travel quite a distance to where it eventually shows up. If the dealer has recaulked, check everything mounted to or through that side of the RV. Many times, things like lights, access port etc will leak and the water will follow a wire to where you eventually see it. Finding it during rain can be hard. If you have time flood small areas of the roof and sides ( especially around sealed openings in the side and roof) at a time then look for the leak. Give the water time to trickle down to where it shows up. Then flood another small area. I have seen leaks travel 6-8 ft from the source. To help narrow down source, check level of RV and search up hill from where you are seeing water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

This is only to rest your mind about the warranty period. They have worked and have not repaired it during your period. Any Damage will be covered by FR in or out. So really your covered there, but now is just to find it, like Flybob said it can travel and they are probably looking in the wrong but obvious spot to them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

WARANTY

NOTICE...I WOULD GET THAT PUPPY BACK TO THE DEALER LIKE RIGHT NOW...EVEN IF IT IS A LOT OF TROUBLE, IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN....EVEN THEN, BETTER HAVE IT CHECKED OVER REALLY WELL BEFORE LEAVING THE DEALERSHIP...SORRY FOR THE CAPS, BUT IN THIS CASE, I AM YELLING AT YOU FOR A GOOD REASON..TRUST ME ON THAT,,
KICKSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togger View Post
I factory ordered a 2015 Wildwood 39FDEN park model which I received in July 2014. I purchased the camper from my local Pennsylvania dealer and had it delivered to my permanent campsite in southern Delaware which is my vacation spot 150 miles from my home.

I built a hard top screenroom and new deck which I have attached to my new camper, so this unit is not to be moved without a great deal of work.

I found water to be seeping on the joint where the floor meets the wall on the back side of the unit between the two slide-outs. Water is somehow getting inside the aluminum siding and seeping into the camper at this spot. When it rains I can see a slow drip from the inside edge of the siding to the ground outside at this spot. The slide seals appear to be fine and don't seem to be the source. I have been able to replicate the leak by spraying a hose heavily at the roof/wall joint above the leak spot so I think it is coming from straight up above, but all joints and caulking appear fine.

My problem is that I have been unable to get the local Wildwood dealer to repair the leak and my new camper is surely going to begin rotting soon. Every time I call to set up a repair visit, it takes a month until they can get out. They were out in Sept. and again in Oct. and simply had a service tech caulk anything and everything he could find, to no avail. Then they were scheduled back in Nov. and cancelled the visit. Now they are supposed to be back next week but I have lost faith in this dealer to have the desire or incentive to repair my leak. I am thoroughly disgusted and don't know where to turn.

I have called Forest River to get my warranty complaint on file. They have advised that I can have an outside repair company do the work but I can't find anyone interested in doing this repair. I just can't believe I cannot get better warranty service from a Forest River dealer.

I am looking for suggestions and wondering how difficult can it really be for a dealer to find and repair a leak on a brand new camper. Now I am very concerned that the problem will not be fixed within the 1 year warranty time frame and will result in leak damage. I feel absolutely helpless, what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-TREAD AROUND AXLE.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	67827  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

FR Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togger View Post

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Here is the number of a RV Repair Co. I use from Bridgeville, DE. Cox RV Repair # 302-337-9568 ask for Mark.
We had a cracked shower pan in our 5er, '12 Sanibel 3500, no one else would honor our extended warranty for the replacement. They took care of it. Best of luck.
Ed
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Document all you conversations: Time, date, person, etc. When you are out of warranty I would not necessarily believe that you would be "Like New" after the warranty is up. You said Forest River said you could use some one else other than the dealer but be careful that Forest River, or any other manufacturer, would honor the work done by some one else.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, wildwood