Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #1

Bubbles On Interior Wall

This is a 2006 Rockwood 8314ss. I just noticed this today, bubbles on the interior wall in the back of the camper. The bubbles are hard to the touch. I checked the exterior wall and there is no indication that there is any problem from the out side. The bubbles however are under the window area....I just don't know about this. Please keep an eye on your walls. Just whated to pass this on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2416.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1676   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2417.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1677   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2418.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1678   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2419.jpg
Views:	2004
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1679  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #2

Ours is doing the same thing, different brand, a cherokee, but the exact same thing. I have checked the entire area and feel no moisture on the walls or carpet. It is happening between the slide out and the window in the bedroom.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Commercial Member

That is moisture/water damage.

Forest River replaced my entire drivers side last year, and it is now getting fixed again because the rear is leaking and looks the same way.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

yup, delamination, mine are doing it too, but mine is older. Appears the water leak was fixed but not the wall.

Campers seem to all have leaky roofs & windows...eventaully. Seems like they could do better. They are...uhm...cheaply manufactured. Lots of things on ours have broken, tv stand, interior window valance fell off (it was on the wall with the bubbles) silly stuff like that, as I have made repairs I've noticed most everything is secured with wood screws and no anchors in the walls. However, overall I am satisfied with our camper.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #5

Well it looks like I am going to have to cut out the wall to see what it is and where it is coming from, no need to take it back to forest River the warrenty is up.....3 year old camper ends up as a $21,000 joke and the joke is on me. I was on the roof today inspecting the back end where the roof roles over and meets the fiber glass wall on the back and found I guess three screws in different places along the edge where the roof and the exterior wall meet, they are backing out of the roof in an upward direction and sticking up under the rubber roof . In order to fix this problem I may have to have the roof material removed and put the screws back down and then have a new roof put on and I also noticed that the plywood under the rubber roof is starting to move pulling loose, as I walk on it in different areas I can fell the plywood pushing down back in place. When I first came on board here on the Forum I mention that I thought that my camper was made on a Monday with one problem after the other and most of them I have been able to take care of myself, but now I am starting to see structural problems and it is not going to get any better. I am happy to hear that most people are happy with there Forest River product, I am just not that lucky if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

Please stop scaring me!
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

Where can you get the replacement panels for the interior? I was going to remove mine and see where the water is getting in.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookMeUp View Post
Where can you get the replacement panels for the interior? I was going to remove mine and see where the water is getting in.
A dealer can order them from Forest River........
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #9

I have been thinking about the replies on water delamination, lets say the water on my camper is coming from the window, then wouldn't there be a trail of delamination from the entry point and then settle in one spot. I have check the exterior back wall from top to bottom on the out side and can not find any opening where water can get in. I washed my camper and flooded the back end of the roof where it rolls over and meets the fiber glass and all around the windows after waiting awile I check the wall inside....all dry. Like I said the bubbles are hard to the touch no movement as far as wall paper or the bubble itself and never seen any moisture in the area. I am woundering if maybe it is the adhesive they used on the back of the wall paper or panel breaking down from it's young age and heat from the sun. I have not cut into the wall yet, but it may happen tomorrow. I do not see this happening any where else in the camper.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #10

OK I did it, I cut the wall

Well here it is, you all may be right. Once I cut the paper it pulled off with no problem. I does not fell wet or damp at this time and there is no smell. I am hoping that what I see is not BLACK MOLD. I wounder if condensate is developing with in the wall in this area. As far as replacing the interior panel as a member suggested, I would have to remove all three window to do so. I am going to contact my service department on this. It could end up as an health issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2426.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1691   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2427.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1692  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #11

I had also noticed this in our camper, however, it hasnt seem to have gotten any worse than it originally was over a year ago, if it is water damage, should it be getting worse?
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #12

Wow

I'm not worried about mine yet, but that looks an awful lot like black mold. It feeds on organic materials like wood and paper. All it needs is a little moisture to get it going, like a slightly damp environment in a closed up/winterized trailer and it is now a bad situation. I will be keeping a very close eye on my trailer now, for sure.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #13

I just found this forum and I see it has a lot of information. We have a 2008 8313SS that has these same bubbles in the top part of our back slide. We did have a leak that was fixed by husband and checked by the dealer and they replaced the slide wall. When we got it back in May of this year all was well.

Camping in June we noticed the bubbles. They are hard and when stuck no water. We have camped in rain and there is no water coming in. Husband got up and checked the roof and all seems to be ok there. I was also wondering if it is related to the adhesive being hot and since ours was newly but on and then sat in the heat.

I am anxious to see what you find out.
love2rvcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #14

after breaking a few of the bubbles that we have seen, ours are also hard with no moisture coming through, I am gonna also set tight and see what happens, I will continue to watch them for now.. hoping they are going to be nothing to worry about, please keep us posted..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #15

Well we decided to take our into the dealer on Saturday for them to check and repair the bubbles on the wall. On Saturday they felt there was not a leak but moisture got between the wall and the paper when they replaced the wall in April and with the heat caused all the blisters to appear. But they also said tha it appears that our roof is caulked too much and it is not "breathing". They have been told by FR that the where the roof material goes down the side behind the wall and where the gutters are installed there has been to much caulk put on them. So the moisture can not get out. So who knows. I just want it to be fixed.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #16

Just got a call from our dealer and he has spoken with Forest River and they want the camper sent to Indiana. They want to replace the entire wall in the slide and put a new roof on.

So now I have to schedule with the rep from FR a time when they can have it. We have camping trips scheduled till December. Not sure if they are going to want to wait that long. Just will have to wait and see.

Michelle
Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #17

Up date about bubbles on the inside wall

It has been confirmed, this is BLACK MOLD. I spoke to the service manager where I bought my RockWood, he said it looks like it may be coming from the roof. A small leak somewhere. In order to find it they would have to pressurize the camper and it would take about three hours to do @ $89.00 an hour plus the repairs.....At this point I do not know what to do, and none of this is under warranty.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #18

After reading all of these concerns, (we also have the bumps,),I watched them closely over the season and there hasnt been any new spread, We did have a leak that was around the stove exhaust vent outside. After caulking around the entire top section, we havent had any more problems..I am however, concerned about the mold, Ours is a very much lighter case then what yours is showing rockwood,,,we dont have any big clumps that you are experiencing ...I am really having a hard time deciding what to do..ours also is an 06 and out of warranty,,,keep us posted on what you do..
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Knower of Some Things

There's a few basic options:

Replace the wall. Believe it or not, it isn't that difficult. Walls aren't all that expensive. Just labor intensive.

Get rid of the camper.

Stop the leaking, and just enjoy the camper. It will be a long time before it falls apart. Black mold is mainly a drywall problem, not a paneling problem. I have not in 15 years seen a confirmed case of black mold. All decaying wood (paneling) is black. Algae is also very common. Have it tested.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #20

To everyone on Rockwoods old thread.
Does anyone have a further update on a fix for the wall blisters?
I have a 2007 Jayco, 10yrs later the wall blisters have started and looks just like Rockwoods pictures. Same story as everyone stated. No visible roof leaking/damage/deterioration.
Could it possibly be just the glue bubbling do to sitting in heat?

Thanks
jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote