Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Cabinets and Fixtures

I posted this image first, as this is what we encountered, upon entering our RV after a 12hr drive. The complete wall cabinet unit had released from the wall, and collapsed. We have always traveled with the cabinet empty, since I realized that the wide end of the cabinet was not suspended from the roof. I had previously assumed that it was, as there was no support leg from the counter. Even while parked, we would not not put heavy items in the cabinet, due to my concern with the unsupported width.

As a DIY person myself, I know that a cabinet maximum depth, without support, would be 24", and that is only if securely fastened to a structural wall.

I contacted Forest River, and received the expected reply. The unit was out of warranty, and we were not the original owners. I replied that this was not a wear & tear issue, but a catastrophic failure, due to a design issue. I stated that I realized that they did not have a legal responsibility, but due to the circumstance, they should at least feel a moral responsibility. I gave them a week to reply, before I would go public. That week has gone, I fell that I have a responsibility now, so others may take precautions, if they have a similar issue.

It was not the screw fastenings that let go; it was the wire staples, which are not meant as a support fastening. A support leg from the counter, would have been a suitable load carrying element of the design.

Unit: 2012 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8285WS

William Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #2

Images

The images did not post. Trying again.

This is too wide and unsupported.

This what let go. Wire staples. No mechanical strength as a support fastener.

William Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets