Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Camper broken into last week.....

So, as the title says. Our camper was broken into last week. We have a Grey Wolf 26DBH. They didn't get in, luckily the deadbolt stopped them. I'm pretty sure our deductible is more than it would cost to fix it but I'm just wondering where I can find parts to price out how much it would be to fix it myself. I attached a picture to show the damage. I know I need both door handle/lock assemblies because they broke the handle locking mechanism and the metal trim around both exterior doors. If I can get the metal trim separate from the whole door that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve
MusickMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusickMan8 View Post
So, as the title says. Our camper was broken into last week. We have a Grey Wolf 26DBH. They didn't get in, luckily the deadbolt stopped them. I'm pretty sure our deductible is more than it would cost to fix it but I'm just wondering where I can find parts to price out how much it would be to fix it myself. I attached a picture to show the damage. I know I need both door handle/lock assemblies because they broke the handle locking mechanism and the metal trim around both exterior doors. If I can get the metal trim separate from the whole door that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve
I would suggest reaching out to fr themselves.. Just out of curiosity, where? Home, storage or campground?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

Storage
MusickMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

You will never straighten it out and have it look right. The door information is on the hinge side of the door frame. You might try Bontrager's Surplus in White Pigeon Michigan. They have racks of new doors and bins full of hardware. The last time I was there I bought about 5 lbs of misc. screws and fasteners used in the construction of these things, amazing how many times I have reached into that box to fix something.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #5

You are lucky they didn't get in. The thieves got into mine, wrecked both doors and stole the TV. Luckily, they unplugged the TV, didn't rip the wires out. I had to replace both doors and frames, along with the locks and the TV. Replacement locks should be available at any RV Dealer, and if necessary, replacement doors should be available from Forest River through any Forest River dealer. My insurance covered the repair, less my deductible.

Good luck.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Ya I had thieves break in ounce and stole my cheap Walmart tv. But what ticked me off was that they cut the coax and it fell down the wall. So I had to fish a new cable thru. Still ticks me off
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

I don't know what sort of storage facility it was in but they may have a liability insurance that will cover the damage, including the deductible. It is certainly worth the effort.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #8

I think my storage facility has you sign a waiver..... Not responsible for theft or damage.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I think my storage facility has you sign a waiver..... Not responsible for theft or damage.....
Doesn't mean they dont have a duty to protect your property and are liable anyway. Ask a reputable local attorney what he thinks.

Also be certain to give all the pertinent info to your insurance company if you file a claim there. They will try and subrogate the claim and go after the storage area's insurance too. If they are successful they will be required to get you back yoru deductible too.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Where

Question. Were these break-ins in your storage places or in RV parks? So far we've only seen a breakin or theft (bikes) at RV parks reported one time in 2 years on this site! The bikes were stolen at a so called reputable chain upscale secure RV park!! The names of RV Parks would be great information to share regardless of who is liable! Theft is theft and who wants tio stay at an RV park or put their RV in a stiorsge facility where breakins occur! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Doesn't mean they dont have a duty to protect your property and are liable anyway. Ask a reputable local attorney what he thinks.

Also be certain to give all the pertinent info to your insurance company if you file a claim there. They will try and subrogate the claim and go after the storage area's insurance too. If they are successful they will be required to get you back yoru deductible too.
For what an attorney would charge, their fees may be more than what the bikes are worth....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

Do not know what your deductible is but that amount of damage will be around $3,000 to 3500 dollars to fix. Just saying....
wcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

$3000 for a door and a cheap tv ??? I’m in the wrong business.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrafter View Post
Do not know what your deductible is but that amount of damage will be around $3,000 to 3500 dollars to fix. Just saying....
You're way off on that figure compared to my experience. I had to replace mine and an entire door, pre-hung, with the screen door was $500. The install is as simple as some screws, butyl tape, and sealant. All you need is the original size and you can order one or find it on eBay even for 200.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #15

[QUOTE=MusickMan8;1681048]...........I know I need both door handle/lock assemblies because they broke the handle locking mechanism........

Sorry about the break in but glad they didn't vandalize more out of frustration of not getting in all the way. I don't know anything about the door and trim but I had to replace my lock and handle last year when the deadbolt would not unlock. Even the locksmith couldn't get it open and he had to drill the core out. I found my best replacement lock at "rvlocksandmore.com." I thought the price was very reasonable and it was easy for me to install.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #16

Well on these campers every thing cost a lot more than you would expect. Ins co just replaced my AC on the roof and paid to the repair shop 2300.00 dollers it was a brisk airII and you can find them on ebay for 675.00 Just so you know.
wcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #17

That why we never lock ours. The cost to repair usually exceeds anything they could steal.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That why we never lock ours. The cost to repair usually exceeds anything they could steal.
And you know what they say about locks, they just keep the honest people out. I would find a more secure storage facility and be sure you rate their service on tripadvisor and FB if they have a page.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #19

IMO... Do Not report this to your insurance company unless you are way above the deductible....and you plan on using it...

Fix it yourself WITHOUT the insurance company knowing.

By reporting the damage, even if you do not file a claim, the insurance company WILL log this down as you telling them of an "EVENT" and WILL hold it against you.... (ie. the insurance company will 'ding you', even if you DO NOT file a claim)

If you ask them if it will 'ding you', they will tell you 'NO', but that is a lie. All 'insurance inquiries' are documented on your report 'history'.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #20

Door Estimate

I had similar situation. 2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH, broken into in a storage lot. All the campers were pried open. Door was $495, labor $322. It took a long time to get to CW by FR. However, the new door never fit the same as the original. I had $500 deductible. My premiums didn't change the following two years.

Police and storage company offered no help. I switched to another storage company with better security. The old place was robbed twice more for batteries and electronics after I moved.
Kirchgons94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper