Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #1

Lightbulb Can anybody recommend some batteries?

I've decided to ditch the scawy LP fridge due to health and safety concerns (fire) and instead buy four exploding batteries for the bargain price of $4000 to put under my bed. I can't wait to finally have ice cream that's as hard as concrete to sink my dentures into.

Any exploding battery recommendations? I was thinking Battle Born because YouTube told me they are better than life itself and that lead acid batteries are now officially obselete.

Jackery and Chris Pratt told me to throw away the gas generator too because thanks to Jackery generators are now obselete too. How many portable solar panels should I buy to plug into the Jackassery to run two A/C's? 40 or 50?

I don't want to be called the "flip phone guy" anymore so I hope you can bring me up to speed on all the latest technology so I'm cool again.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #2

If you're talking going to lifepo4 batteries, I'm a build your own battery kind of guy. It's cheaper and if something happens I'll know how to fix it. I built a 280ah lifepo4 battery for $650 so almost the equivalent size of 3- 100ah Battleborn batteries, and we know 3 of them cost more than$650. You'll also need to change out your converter and add a DC-DC charger.

So if your serious I can send you links.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
If you're talking going to lifepo4 batteries, I'm a build your own battery kind of guy. It's cheaper and if something happens I'll know how to fix it. I built a 280ah lifepo4 battery for $650 so almost the equivalent size of 3- 100ah Battleborn batteries, and we know 3 of them cost more than$650. You'll also need to change out your converter and add a DC-DC charger.

So if your serious I can send you links.

It's amazing how much you can save building things yourself. Can you imagine how much cheaper recreational vehicles would be if you could bypass Warren Buffet and build one yourself? And not only that, you wouldn't have to have what he decides you should have. We just need better 3D printers that's all and then it's by-bye Warren and hello custom RV!

Please, send those links.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPayne View Post
I've decided to ditch the scawy LP fridge due to health and safety concerns (fire) and instead buy four exploding batteries for the bargain price of $4000 to put under my bed. I can't wait to finally have ice cream that's as hard as concrete to sink my dentures into.

Any exploding battery recommendations? I was thinking Battle Born because YouTube told me they are better than life itself and that lead acid batteries are now officially obselete.

Jackery and Chris Pratt told me to throw away the gas generator too because thanks to Jackery generators are now obselete too. How many portable solar panels should I buy to plug into the Jackassery to run two A/C's? 40 or 50?

I don't want to be called the "flip phone guy" anymore so I hope you can bring me up to speed on all the latest technology so I'm cool again.
Now that was funny!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
It's amazing how much you can save building things yourself. Can you imagine how much cheaper recreational vehicles would be if you could bypass Warren Buffet and build one yourself? And not only that, you wouldn't have to have what he decides you should have. We just need better 3D printers that's all and then it's by-bye Warren and hello custom RV!

For the cells to build your batteries I would buy from here. They cost a little more than I paid but you won't have to wait 2 months to get them. They have a warehouse in Texas.

Discount China Wholesale USA STOCK FAST UPS DELIVERY LF280KEVE 280Ah New Version 6000 cycle 3.2V Lifepo4 Battery Cell [LF280K]- $149.00 - PowerWholeSale

They also sell a good brand BMS it has Bluetooth so you can see and set battery cell parameters. Also tells charge and discharge current so really negates the need of a battery monitor.

Discount China Wholesale USA STOCK FAST UPS DELIVERY JBD Smart BMS 4S 12V 200A with Bluetooth Free shipping [JBD 12V200A]- $130.00 - PowerWholeSale

For DC-DC charger I bought a Renogy 40amp off of Amazon.

If you have a WFCO 8955 converter the WF-8950L2-MBA is a lithium compatible replacement. I bought this on Amazon as well.

I built my own battery box out of wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220320_182748.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	273974  
Old 05-26-2022, 11:28 PM   #6

What are using for an inverter?
Old 05-27-2022, 12:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
What are using for an inverter?
Currently using the 1000w WFCO inverter that came stock on our motorhome. If I had to replace it I would probably buy a Giandel pure sine wave inverter.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CKBJ9...778KHGRWE0JN3B
Old 05-27-2022, 06:11 AM   #8

I am impressed with the idea of building your own. Does the BMS prevent charging when it is too hot or cold?
Old 05-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
For the cells to build your batteries I would buy from here. They cost a little more than I paid but you won't have to wait 2 months to get them. They have a warehouse in Texas.

Discount China Wholesale USA STOCK FAST UPS DELIVERY LF280KEVE 280Ah New Version 6000 cycle 3.2V Lifepo4 Battery Cell [LF280K]- $149.00 - PowerWholeSale

They also sell a good brand BMS it has Bluetooth so you can see and set battery cell parameters. Also tells charge and discharge current so really negates the need of a battery monitor.

Discount China Wholesale USA STOCK FAST UPS DELIVERY JBD Smart BMS 4S 12V 200A with Bluetooth Free shipping [JBD 12V200A]- $130.00 - PowerWholeSale

For DC-DC charger I bought a Renogy 40amp off of Amazon.

If you have a WFCO 8955 converter the WF-8950L2-MBA is a lithium compatible replacement. I bought this on Amazon as well.

I built my own battery box out of wood.
Why did you buy a new charger if you bought a DC-DC charger? With the right one, you could feed your existing charger to that as well as your 7-pin, and use it to translate the charging profile to LFP, right?
Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #10

YouTube is your fwend! Let us know how all of this goes. Your decisions depend on the type of camping you do. Boondocking, Hookups only, or a mix of both, and how long of a period do you go without. I love my Gas/Electric fridge. It makes ice cubes, and keeps the ice cream OK if you put it at the very back, bottom of the freezer. I also boondock more than I do hookups. I use 3 100 ah Battleborns, a Power Tech On 2000 watt inverter, a Renogy 20 amp DC to DC charger, and a Renogy 200 watt suitcase solar setup. It all works. If you stay at full hookup RV parks, forget all of that expensive stuff and get a residential fridge and build a system that will get you from point A to point B.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Old 05-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #11
D W

Quote:

If it were economical to build your own custom RV, people would be doing it. Without venture capital, facilities and bulk purchasing power it would be totally unfeasible. A year ago I watched a total restoration of a 1960's vintage 17ft Airstream on T.V. The resto was a total rebuild/customization. The total cost when all was said and done was $175K! 3D printers are useful, but you can't build a RV with one.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I am impressed with the idea of building your own. Does the BMS prevent charging when it is too hot or cold?
Yes it comes with temperature sensors. And you can set limits in the Bluetooth app.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Why did you buy a new charger if you bought a DC-DC charger? With the right one, you could feed your existing charger to that as well as your 7-pin, and use it to translate the charging profile to LFP, right?
When plugged into shore power I want the batteries to fully charge. It's also a fail safe if DC-DC charger quits I'm still able to charge to 100% same with running generator. Also I can double my charge current if I run the generator and alternator at the same time.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
When plugged into shore power I want the batteries to fully charge. It's also a fail safe if DC-DC charger quits I'm still able to charge to 100% same with running generator. Also I can double my charge current if I run the generator and alternator at the same time.
Your existing converter will put out DC charging voltage, plug that DC input into your DC-DC charger, then your batteries into the DC-DC charger. Your generator should be able to run your converter, thus allowing the charge. It just requires a DC-DC charger that allows multiple inputs. If your DC-DC doesn't, it wouldn't work this way. Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:

Jeff Bezos came to me in a dream dressed like Rick Wakeman with white shoulder length hair and a long flowing robe saying, " Go forth online and buy a 300 amp-hour Pionergy lithium iron phosphate battery, two 100 amp hour lithium iron phosphate batteries, a MakeSkyBlue 60 amp charge controller, three more 190-watt solar panels, a 3000-watt Sungoldpower 12-volt low frequency inverter-charger, a 12-ton hydraulic terminal crimper, 2/0 cable and lots of terminal ends."
So I did. Who'da thunk it would actually work??? But it's a fantastic system. Dream Jeff sure knew his spit on his recommendations.
I haven't had the camper connected to shore power since I assembled everything and powered it up. And that's with only two of the four 190-watt panels mounted flat on the roof. The other two will join the party next week. 760 watts of free (ha!) energy!
My system powers the 15K btu air conditioner and other 120-volt devices. If you're going to run two A/C units you might want a 4000-watt (or higher) 24-volt low frequency inverter-charger and at least two 300ah lithium iron phosphate batteries. If you go with a 24-volt inverter, the battery cables will have less energy loss and you can buy a 24 volt-to-12 volt buck converter for your 12-volt requirements.
Buy Battle born if you have the cash but I can tell you that my lesser-known lifepo4 batteries perform great. I've done several capacity tests on them and they repeatedly produce more energy than their advertised ratings.
I have less than $3000 in my system and it performs flawlessly. And no, I don't carry a generator.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Your existing converter will put out DC charging voltage, plug that DC input into your DC-DC charger, then your batteries into the DC-DC charger. Your generator should be able to run your converter, thus allowing the charge. It just requires a DC-DC charger that allows multiple inputs. If your DC-DC doesn't, it wouldn't work this way. Just a thought.
Unfortunately that doesn't work Power needs to flow both ways with the converter. And a DC-DC charger only let's current go one way. I tried to wire it like your talking but it just doesn't work that way.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
That's funny.
Actually, flip phones are back in style. I've got the Galaxy 3 flip. https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Unloc...375371632&th=1

If you wait long enough, those lead acid batteries might come back in style, people may discover the advantages to a 2 way fridge, and solar panels will be obsolete.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:

Well two years ago I was the build my own guy. I built three 200 amp batteries using cells that I waited patiently to receive from China. I also bought the best 200 amp BMS devices available at that time from Daly Green. Make no mistake I'm very happy with them but in hindsight by the time I bought all the hardware got some battery boxes to slap them in wired them up but the cables and the lugs and the crimping tool I would need to build cables to make this setup compatible with my 2-0 RV wiring I was out of pocket a lot more than I wanted to admit. Probably in the neighborhood of $2,400 or better. Now the prices have fallen through the floor on a lot of that stuff.

Even Will Prowse who is in my opinion the best vlogger on the subject, today you can buy the batteries just almost as cheaply as you can make them and have nice tight sealed fitted units.

My battery bay was set up to receive four golf cart batteries. Next to them sits two or three chassis batteries for a diesel pusher. By shopping hard and paying a dear price I got high CCA engine batteries that used a little smaller amount of the space than the original configuration giving me a little more room for the coach batteries. At this point I could fit two of those store-bought 200 amp and in some cases 300 amp batteries in the footprint of my former four golf cart batteries.

If I were doing it now I think I would go with AmperTime or Chinn batteries Right off the menu from Amazon and have them in two or three days All sweet and turnkey. I could buy 600 amps today for less than I spent building them 2 years ago.

Battleborn of course are excellent batteries, many say the best, but you won't get as many batteries in the footprint as you can with some of the larger capacity Chinese brands. And they are pricey boogers.

The battery buying decision is only part of the project. We had an on-board magnum 2000 watt inverter charger and that had to be upgraded with new internal control board and new control head to make it compatible with the lithium.

I built my 600 watt solar system to be expandable to 1,000 watts and to run through a charge controller that was capable of dealing with lithium batteries. Then of course to charge in route and maximize your available power, without burning up your alternator, I installed a 40 amp DC to DC charger that puts a full 40 or 41 amps into the batteries with a measured load of right at 50 amps from the alternator system.

Now I go down the road with 600 amps of modern heaven

I started planning an engineering this when we still used a bumper pull and if I was still in a bumper pull I don't think I would have gone quite so crazy as I did. Pretty sure I've never run my lithium's down below 73% state of charge and we use the heck out of them with big TVs, microwave oven, lighting plants isn't toys everywhere..

best of luck to you my only advice would be watch a million YouTube's and learn what you're doing before you do it.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Unfortunately that doesn't work Power needs to flow both ways with the converter. And a DC-DC charger only let's current go one way. I tried to wire it like your talking but it just doesn't work that way.
Thank you find if you keep looking that Vic Tron or one of them makes a charger converter that takes DC to DC input as well as solar input to your coach batteries.

Saw that one after I had already committed to my plan and Victron, like battleborn, are very nice products that are just a little rich for my budget.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:39 AM   #20

Quote:
What two way are you talking about? A converter plugs into the trailers AC system with a standard plug or wiring, and converts that to DC to charge the batteries and run the 12v system. What power needs to come back through the charger? Or do you have an inverter/converter combo unit or something?
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries