Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #1

Can this be fixed? Or get new cab?

Well I did this at home with routine maintenance. [emoji849][emoji849] 7 years pulling fifth wheel. Dropped rv on truck. Got distracted by neighbor. Is it repairable? State farm gives me a lifetime guarantee on the repair so if they use a little Bondo and I have a problem in the future it could be redone. Trying to load pic
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #2

If the insurance company says it's repairable and no frame damage, just fix it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the opinion. I got lucky because I was pulling away very slowly and when I heard the sound immediately slammed on the break and the king pen was still resting I’m part of the hitch and because of that I got no damage to the RV and it only fell about 3 inches onto the bed rails.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
FLY4FUN

...sounds like really minimum damage & not "structural" at that. Yep, I'd suggest fix'er and never look back (...er, well, maybe it IS a good idea to look back ).
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

🤣. Wish I could show pic. Not let me. [emoji849]
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
Well I did this at home with routine maintenance. [emoji849][emoji849] 7 years pulling fifth wheel. Dropped rv on truck. Got distracted by neighbor. Is it repairable? State farm gives me a lifetime guarantee on the repair so if they use a little Bondo and I have a problem in the future it could be redone.
Well, join the club
I did that a few years ago, after my wife told me she didn't think the hitch locked I was in a hurry and ignored her. I'm still paying for that one!
I smashed the side rails and the tailgate pretty good. No damage to the RV.
It was cheaper, faster, and better for the repair shop to find a complete used bed and paint it, swap it out. Insurance covered it all and the repair shop adjusted the numbers so I didn't even pay the deductible.
One thing about dropping your RV on the truck once is that nobody I know that has done it, has repeated it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I dropped my 5th wheel off of the hitch moving around in a camp ground. It totaled the tailgate and bent the side of the box. I was lucky, I replaced the tailgate and jacked up the side of the box with hydraulics. This cost me $1,100 to repair it I had a $500 deductible and if the insurance fixed it they would access a $400/ yr times three years surcharge on my policy. So it would cost me $1,200 + $500 =$1,700 to have the insurance pay $600. Unless you have accident forgiveness plan on your insurance plan. Good luck!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I dropped my 5th wheel off of the hitch moving around in a camp ground. It totaled the tailgate and bent the side of the box. I was lucky, I replaced the tailgate and jacked up the side of the box with hydraulics. This cost me $1,100 to repair it I had a $500 deductible and if the insurance fixed it they would access a $400/ yr times three years surcharge on my policy. So it would cost me $1,200 + $500 =$1,700 to have the insurance pay $600. Unless you have accident forgiveness plan on your insurance plan. Good luck!
Or do like I did, let the insurance pay for it and then when it's time to renew your policy and they jack up the price, get a new company for the same or lower payment for the same coverage. Yep, the new companies know about your claim, but they want your business more.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
🤣. Wish I could show pic. Not let me. [emoji849]
“Not let you.”
Follow the instructions in post #7 of this thread ==> https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...sics-6778.html.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Well, join the club
I did that a few years ago, after my wife told me she didn't think the hitch locked I was in a hurry and ignored her. I'm still paying for that one!
I smashed the side rails and the tailgate pretty good. No damage to the RV.
It was cheaper, faster, and better for the repair shop to find a complete used bed and paint it, swap it out. Insurance covered it all and the repair shop adjusted the numbers so I didn't even pay the deductible.
One thing about dropping your RV on the truck once is that nobody I know that has done it, has repeated it
Im raising my hand to the "One and Done" club. Only Ive done two things, once I dropped the 5er on the bed, going slow like OP, all I had to do was replace the Bed Rail Caps, cheap.

The second was a failure to lower the tailgate..............Now I have a Louvered tailgate I dont' have to lower when I unhitch. Not as cheap.

If there is a way to screw up, most of us have done it, once, and done with that one! I keep looking for new ways to screw up.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If only some people could learn that quick with marriages.

A tire dealer I knew was married 5 times, twice to the same woman. (No, it wasn't wmtire)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote