Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #1

Carbon monoxide detector

I have an 2014 FR3 that has a carbon monoxide detector above the bed which keeps beeping. How do I get it to stop it has nothing to do with a gas leak
Annie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Hello Annie: I change CO monitor regularly all over my home. Typically, when the monitor beeps, it tends to signal battery replacement is required. Beside the CO monitor, there should be some sort of instruction to replace the battery. If it still beeps, just to be safe, run out and buy another CO monitor and attach it to the roof with the 3M stuff (that you can pull out and leave no mark...similar to the ones used for coat hanging).
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie13 View Post
I have an 2014 FR3 that has a carbon monoxide detector above the bed which keeps beeping. How do I get it to stop it has nothing to do with a gas leak
CM detectors are mounted near the floor are you sure it's not a smoke detector? Most CM if not all are hard wired in. A CM unit will beep with low voltage 12v and CO will do the same but most have batteries. I pretty sure I'm right on this....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
CM detectors are mounted near the floor are you sure it's not a smoke detector? Most CM if not all are hard wired in. A CM unit will beep with low voltage 12v and CO will do the same but most have batteries. I pretty sure I'm right on this....
Almost.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors should be close to the ceiling. CO is lighter than air so it rises
Propane detectors should be close to the floor. Unlike CO, propane is heavier than air.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 AM   #5

Check / change batteries.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Almost.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors should be close to the ceiling. CO is lighter than air so it rises
Propane detectors should be close to the floor. Unlike CO, propane is heavier than air.
X2 on this. I replaced the CO detector that came with my motor home as it was doing the same thing. Replaced the batteries and it would start beeping within a week. Replaced it with a higher end model and have had no issues since.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Lp monitor ?

Last nite our lp monitor went off and scared dw and me half to death. we have been out four times in our used 2504 only thing different last night was the grille was still hooked to the lp line but valve was off. After we silenced it went off again in about 30 seconds to a minute later. I am going to close everything up today and turn the gas back on and try to duplicate any ideas warnings I should look out for. Thanks all we have had this unit for 3 months bought used with only about 100 hours of usage. Also our first rv. It appears to be hard wired only
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
Last nite our lp monitor went off and scared dw and me half to death. we have been out four times in our used 2504 only thing different last night was the grille was still hooked to the lp line but valve was off. After we silenced it went off again in about 30 seconds to a minute later. I am going to close everything up today and turn the gas back on and try to duplicate any ideas warnings I should look out for. Thanks all we have had this unit for 3 months bought used with only about 100 hours of usage. Also our first rv. It appears to be hard wired only
That alarm will also sound if your house battery voltage is low, so check that as well.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Thanks I just checked and it's fine. I'm Going to turn gas back on when wife gets out of the shower
Bob
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Explorer

While low voltage will definitely sound your alarms and I would start there. I have also had false alarms with the LP detector(the one at floor level, hard wired to 12v)from: sun block, mosquito spray, some cleaning supplies and a fridge going bad(leaking ammonia). Ours is in the door way and my family is always putting something on before going out and several times we’ve set it off.
Or it could just be bad…..
Good luck
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
2012 Solera

Or you could have a propane leak, or, if a combo detector, Carbon monoxide from some source. Especially would suspect a leak if detector doesn't alarm with propane turned off and alarms when propane is turned back on. Although these detectors are notorious for premature wear-out resulting in false alarms, first response should be "believe your instruments"!
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

Well I let the TT stay "gased up" for over 24 hours and no alarm. I'm home now and I'm going to check the fittings on all of the gas lines to be sure.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

A couple of things - carbon monoxide (CO) is not lighter than air, it is about the same weight, and mixes very easily. There is no difference in mounting a CO detector high or low.

Propane is heavier than air, and tends to sink. That's why the combo propane/CO detectors are mounted low.

The combo propane/CO detectors used in RVs generally are hard-wired to a 12V circuit. The electronics will sound the alarm if the battery voltage dips too much (I don't know how much).

CO detectors have a limited life span - the newest can last 7 years, earlier models lasted 5 years or less. If your RV is approaching 5 years old, expect the CO detector to start beeping (replacement warning) for no apparent reason. Some CO detectors fail early, and begin the no-reason-known beeping very early in their life.

Fire (really smoke) detectors should be mounted high, and are usually 9V battery powered (same as your house). Plan on replacing that battery every spring as part of getting ready to camp (same as your house).

Or get surprised, like I did, by a constant chirp. I thought it was the CO/propane alarm that was chirping, and ended up cutting the wires to the CO/propane alarm in an effort to shut it up (after pulling all the fuses). Finally realized it was the smoke alarm chirping when I looked up at my A-frame ceiling.

The first time I turned on the hot water heater in my A-frame, the CO/propane alarm went off - apparently not unheard of in the A-frames. Reset everything and have not had a problems since (except for rewiring as a result of my SPUT).

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #14

On mine the wiring in the basement was stretched so tight that on a very hot day heat expansion
would cause the in-line 12vdc fuse intermittently lose contact and make the detector beep.
SOLD '05 NuWa HHII 32.5 UKTG
05 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.0L SRW
nwtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #15

All detectors from my experience are prone to collecting dust at some point, which will also affect them and cause them to chirp. Seasonally I will gentle blow air into the sensor opening, then put the vacuum hose on it to clean out any dust ... it seems to work well.

While the RV/TT often come with a combo LP/CO detector, I buy a separate CO monitor and place it in the sleeping area (bedroom) as a safety precaution ... it's cheap life insurance given the number of accidental deaths that occur each year from CO issues.

I've also learned the hard way recently that if you use expanding foam inside the trailer, it will set off the combo unit repeatedly unit you get the trailer aired out