Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
EdH

Cargo trailer wiring

Just got my 25' Eliminator. The inside lights do not work when the tow vehicle power is not hooked up. So, how does the breakaway battery get charged? Wouldn't the +12v from the tow vehicle be tied to both of these, thus the lights getting power from the breakaway battery when not plugged into a tow vehicle?
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
PINTO

Yes you are correct. Is your battery being charged? If so then the light is not tied in to the battery. You need to do a little trouble shooting!
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Just got my 25' Eliminator. The inside lights do not work when the tow vehicle power is not hooked up. So, how does the breakaway battery get charged? Wouldn't the +12v from the tow vehicle be tied to both of these, thus the lights getting power from the breakaway battery when not plugged into a tow vehicle?
Why would you need it to charge when not hooked up? Oh, for the lights? My cargo trailer lights wont work unless connected either.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Did you open the battery box and make sure it's connected? Most people will disconnect it when the trailer is stored or inactive. Maybe the dealer never connected it. If it's like mine, the battery has the small spade terminals.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
EdH

Just found out that there is no connection between breakaway battery and tow vehicle. Cheap little battery is rated for 3 years or 3 break-a-ways. Very unimpressed so far with brand new special order Cargo Mate Eliminator trailer. One of many things that lacks quality on expensive Forest River trailer.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

Yeah, a small battery like that probably would require a regulator to handle the charge current from the TV. That's probably why. Keeps costs down.

You could certainly add one.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote