Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Castle Rock Tires Strikes Again

Looks like the Castle Rock pandemic has struck.

OEM Model ST225S /75 R15 "Made in China"

this past Friday (10-1-2021) headed from Charleston SC to Calhoun Falls SC (3.5Hrs). tires were properly inflated and still look new (purchased camper March '19). Running around 70 mph could feel a pretty rough road-overpass transition put nothing spectacular. the tire absolutely exploded. could see cars dodging shrapnel. tire, of course, was a total loss. but the plastic wheel fender is gone and about half of the painted metal shroud skirt is mangled. We count ourselves fortunate but we're concerned for the remaining 3 OEM tires. we've lost confidence and probably going to replace.

a few trip photos illustrating damage and total failure.

summary: there's really no excuse for a first class camper being outfitted with unsafe tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29827.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	263958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211001_174253.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	263959   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211001_180405.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	263960  
Mark601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #2

Definately replace the good tire on the same side as the blowout. You just abruptly overloaded that tire with twice the weight. Inspect the other tires. Check the mfg date code
Ex: 0919
Mfg’d 9th week of 2019
Replace tires 5 yrs after mfg’d date regardless of condition.
If no speed rating is indicated on tire they are limited to 65mph.
Speed rating L 75 mph
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #3
Retired Army MSG!

Bought a brand new rig January of this year and made several short and 3 longer trips on the Castle Rocks. Hated them from the time I pulled the unit off the lot. Replaced them just two weeks ago with 12Ply Load Range F Hercules H 901 tires. Headed to Florida from SC soon and although all trailer tires unnerve me some what I did not want to make that run on the wobbly Castle Rocks. Glad you are safe and hopefully it will not be a lot of hassle for you to get your rig repaired.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #4

good advice for sure! in fact, i'm going to replace the four remaining tires (includes spare). i've ordered replacement parts for the camper. Forest River has been very helpful and the cost is surprising low for the rolled aluminum skirt and fender eyebrow.

I've decided to make the repairs because Camping World want's to hold the unit hostage for at least a month before even assessing the damage, let alone ordering parts and repairing.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Had my first blowout a couple weeks ago after nine years of camping. Blew to shreds and didn't even hear anything, just felt weird. My Goodyear Endurance tires just arrived the other day.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #6

My 2018 trailer had Castle Rocks on it. A 6 hour drive turned into 24 hours on the road since each of the 4 tires blew out one at a time. Yes I checked the pressure and inspected the tires before the trip. They were inflated to the max rating and not showing any signs of dry rot. One thing I did find out in hind sight. While I thought I was safe since my trailer was a 2018, the tires had a manufacturing date of 2016 so they were 5 years old not 3.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #7

I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct and they were at my house in three days. They still appear to be in stock.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...year-endurance
Old 11-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1911 View Post
Had my first blowout a couple weeks ago after nine years of camping. Blew to shreds and didn't even hear anything, just felt weird. My Goodyear Endurance tires just arrived the other day.

that's an impressive blow out! looks like you dodged damage to the wheel. i'm ready to pull the trigger on GY Endurance this morning. we have a short trip this weekend so i hope fate will smile on our China bombs.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:

....obtw, I'm expecting factory replacement parts any day now. Appears we had similar damage and good news is Forrest River is first class at supporting repair needs. Cost is under $200 for parts (12ft rolled aluminum, step light, fender skirt, fasteners, brace, etc.) but the shipping is understandably expensive due to the 12ft long shipping crate. Lots of good YouTube videos making the repair.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
I ordered them from Discount Tire Direct and they were at my house in three days. They still appear to be in stock.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...year-endurance
thanks for the link, just ordered a full set of GY Endurance.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

I've had 2 explosions - Ridgeway sports (all under the same lionshead umbrella - ridgeway, castlebombs, etc. they offer 5 different models)

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2655636

I'm on the schedule to replace 6 tires with real tires at discount tire. Not worth the risk.
jcrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark601 View Post
....obtw, I'm expecting factory replacement parts any day now. Appears we had similar damage and good news is Forrest River is first class at supporting repair needs. Cost is under $200 for parts (12ft rolled aluminum, step light, fender skirt, fasteners, brace, etc.) but the shipping is understandably expensive due to the 12ft long shipping crate. Lots of good YouTube videos making the repair.
Did they quote you the shipping cost?

Based on previous experience a 12' crate will probably eclipse the price of the part.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Did they quote you the shipping cost?

Based on previous experience a 12' crate will probably eclipse the price of the part.
They couldn't quote at the time i purchased the parts but a day or so later the shipper added his cost. It's pricey at around $480.00 for ground shipping. but the crate contains a 12ft long item. Apparently some Mfr's won't deal directly with consumers so do-it-yourself is out of the question.

The flip side is I avoided leaving the camper with Camping World for a months only to pay the same price plus labor. For some reason CW retains custody of the camper until repairs are complete, regardless of how long it may be and we plan to keep using during this period.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
thanks for the link, just ordered a full set of GY Endurance.

X2, in stock and best price that I can find in stock!
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #15

Quote:
The wheel looks ok, but i need to look at it a little closer once the tire is removed.

I am waiting on a 71" piece of skirt. It is going to cost $75 plus shipping. Will have to repair the damage above the wheel also.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #16

Thanks for the info on the skirt panels. I have a little damage from a blow out on mine which I think I might be able to straighten out. If not, it's good to know you can get replacements.

If the tire shreds tore the tarp fabric that protects the wood above the tires, rather then try and replace the fabric, I used Flex Seal tape and the repair seems to be holding up fine. The tape is a little tricky to work with because it's very sticky. If you're trying to work with a long piece and it happens to folds up and sticks to itself, it's very difficult to pull apart without ruining the tape... The tape does have a backing that you remove before applying which exposes the glue...What you want to do is remove a small section of the backing, put that in place place and remove the rest of the backing as you put the rest of the tape in place.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Thanks for the info on the skirt panels. I have a little damage from a blow out on mine which I think I might be able to straighten out. If not, it's good to know you can get replacements.

If the tire shreds tore the tarp fabric that protects the wood above the tires, rather then try and replace the fabric, I used Flex Seal tape and the repair seems to be holding up fine. The tape is a little tricky to work with because it's very sticky. If you're trying to work with a long piece and it happens to folds up and sticks to itself, it's very difficult to pull apart without ruining the tape... The tape does have a backing that you remove before applying which exposes the glue...What you want to do is remove a small section of the backing, put that in place place and remove the rest of the backing as you put the rest of the tape in place.
we fortunately didn't have any underbelly damage but toying with the idea of applying a layer of sheet metal to prevent damage in the future. I'll spec out the possibility once the repair work commences. Kind of surprised the industry doesn't fortify the wheel well as a standard practice?
Old 11-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #18

Quote:
we fortunately didn't have any underbelly damage but toying with the idea of applying a layer of sheet metal to prevent damage in the future. I'll spec out the possibility once the repair work commences. Kind of surprised the industry doesn't fortify the wheel well as a standard practice?
If you understand manufacturing and the pricing process it's easy to understand why.

If an added part or process costs the factory only $100, the "Retail Price" goes up $500. Add enough of those "improvements" and the final price goes up to the point that customers look for cheaper products, usually without the "improvements".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you understand manufacturing and the pricing process it's easy to understand why.

If an added part or process costs the factory only $100, the "Retail Price" goes up $500. Add enough of those "improvements" and the final price goes up to the point that customers look for cheaper products, usually without the "improvements".
makes complete sense. camper pricing is competitive for sure and doesn't leave much room for extras. I requested a 2nd A/C and thought my salesman was going to hemorrhage. was cheap and worth it.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #20

When you order Goodyear Endurance how do you know the manufacture date? Did the recently manufacture the tire or were the ones they're shipping you have been sitting in warehouse for a year or two? Thanks
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires