Old 04-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Caulk around the kitchen sink failing

Iím not sure where to put this question and my searching is not fruitful.

So - 2016 Sunseeker 2400W -

Our kitchen sink is stainless steel, the counter is contact paper covered pressed cardboard. The caulking came out.

After very careful cleaning, my husband re-caulked twice with kitchen/bathroom silicone. It doesnít hold up. We are afraid of the counter getting wet and becoming crumbly.

Does anyone know a best caulk procedure for this sink counter combo?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #2

In what way is the caulk failing?

Has the sink mounting hardware been checked to ensure that the sink isn't moving in relation to the countertop?

Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

The caulk just comes loose in various areas. We pull it all out, clean and re-caulk.
The sink doesn’t move, it’s solid. I believe the cardboard is just exposed enough to prevent good adhesion, you can just see the edges of it.

My husband is thinking of urethane caulk now but I wanted to see if there are other ideas.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

Your biggest problem is probably that you started with silicone. In many cases silicone is a one-shot deal. You have to get it right the first time because doing it a second time requires removing any remnants of silicone — even the silicone you can’t see. It’s possible that silicone was used at the factory, so your first attempt at re-caulking would likely fail due to the residue left from the original caulk job. Do whatever you can to remove the residue from any surface you plan to re-caulk. Try denatured alcohol. Then try caulking with a latex caulk. It will probably stay there longer and when it does start to come off again, you can just re-caulk with latex caulk without the tedious cleaning required to re-caulk over silicone.

Bruce
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I feel sure it was silicone in the first place and we did use silicone after that.

You have to wash the shower so carefully, I was scrubbing the caulk right off.

But around the bathroom sink the caulk is holding up well. I don't know what the difference could be.

Thanks, we'll try latex now.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Iím not sure where to put this question and my searching is not fruitful.

So - 2016 Sunseeker 2400W -

Our kitchen sink is stainless steel, the counter is contact paper covered pressed cardboard. The caulking came out.

After very careful cleaning, my husband re-caulked twice with kitchen/bathroom silicone. It doesnít hold up. We are afraid of the counter getting wet and becoming crumbly.

Does anyone know a best caulk procedure for this sink counter combo?

Thanks.

We purchased an ultra lite. The quality of the counter tops is just not there. I mean contact paper and cardboard in an area that is around water. Might as well made them out of sugar. Sorry I don't have a fix just wanted to share my thoughts on the counter top.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
I feel sure it was silicone in the first place and we did use silicone after that.

You have to wash the shower so carefully, I was scrubbing the caulk right off.

But around the bathroom sink the caulk is holding up well. I don't know what the difference could be.

Thanks, we'll try latex now.

You might try an adhesive caulk. Be sure to give it lots of time to cure.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #8

Latex caulk will not hold up well to water, and WILL support mold growth unless specifically labelled as mold resistant. Silicone is your best bet - make sure you get the most expensive one you can find. If after careful cleaning and drying (let a fan run on the cleaned area for a day after removing all silicone) still doesn't work, use an elastomeric sealant like Dynaflex 230. Polyeurethane sealants are exterior grade and will off-gas, and are extremely difficult to get a clean smooth finish.
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
We purchased an ultra lite. The quality of the counter tops is just not there. I mean contact paper and cardboard in an area that is around water. Might as well made them out of sugar. Sorry I don't have a fix just wanted to share my thoughts on the counter top.
I guess the key to this is the weight reduction. We didnít know what we were doing when we bought this. We are having lots of fun and love fulltiming. But, we would have bought a different kind of RV if we could do it over.
Live and learn.

We did paint the undersides of all the counters with urethane when we realized they were pressed cardboard and saw what happens when they get wet.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by graman View Post
Latex caulk will not hold up well to water, and WILL support mold growth unless specifically labelled as mold resistant. Silicone is your best bet - make sure you get the most expensive one you can find. If after careful cleaning and drying (let a fan run on the cleaned area for a day after removing all silicone) still doesn't work, use an elastomeric sealant like Dynaflex 230. Polyeurethane sealants are exterior grade and will off-gas, and are extremely difficult to get a clean smooth finish.
We got some Lexel. Copolymer rubber sealant, supposed to be superior to silicone. So much science involved in all this! Havenít used it yet.
We are supposed to clean the area with denatured alcohol first. So of course, we have to go back to a hardware store, this one was out.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
We got some Lexel. Copolymer rubber sealant, supposed to be superior to silicone. So much science involved in all this! Havenít used it yet.
We are supposed to clean the area with denatured alcohol first. So of course, we have to go back to a hardware store, this one was out.
Lexel's a great product, but can be hard to find sometimes (at least here in Canada). Good luck on the denatured alcohol, it's rare these days!
graman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

The good thing about denatured alcohol is a quart should last a long time if you keep it closed properly. I have a quart from 6 yrs ago and have half of it left. It doesn't take a lot to do the job. I used it to clean my roof caulking when covering the seams with Eternabond and when I re-caulked a friends '89 popup along with replacing kitchen sink counter, bathroom sink counter along with other odd jobs around the s&b home.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

Really love our camper but am disappointed in these countertops. Ours leaked as well, swelled up and the gap got bigger. I caulk and re-caulked several times now trying different household caulks without much luck. In January I dug out all the caulk I could and used the Proflex RV sealant this time. After 6 weeks of camping it seems to be holding up but only time will tell. Because the gaps were bigger I used allot and now our sink covers donít really fit properly. Of course they suffer from the same problem and will swell as well. Dealer replaced the first set under warranty.

By the way, water running over the edge can cause problems as well. You can see how they have swelled. These I sanded off smooth and plan to seal with a water proof varnish as soon as we are allowed to go to the store. Got that idea from this thread which is helpful.

Bathroom Vanity counter top swelling and dissolving
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=196832

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	226248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5034.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	226250
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #14

May be a bigger project than you want but if it get to be too frustrating, just replace the countertop with something better. Typical Laminate counter tops are about $60-$80 for a 6' section and it's not a hard project if the cabinets are already in place. Measuring and cutting out a sink hole is easy enough if you have an overmount sink.

Plenty of Youtube videos show you how if it's something you've never done.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
May be a bigger project than you want but if it get to be too frustrating, just replace the countertop with something better. Typical Laminate counter tops are about $60-$80 for a 6' section and it's not a hard project if the cabinets are already in place. Measuring and cutting out a sink hole is easy enough if you have an overmount sink.

Plenty of Youtube videos show you how if it's something you've never done.

Absolutely the best idea here. I fully wanting to make a TT light weight and all but what the heck are these manufacturers thinking? Pressed cardboard at the sinks. The man that came up with that idea should be fired.
Here I'll light the fire and we can all watch. Maybe he would like a match to help put the fire out.

Sorry sometimes I loose my mind when I see the stupid stuff that TT manufacturers do. Have they ever camped 1 day in their lives?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #16
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We have already polyurethaned under all our countertops and tables. It took seconds and so far no problems. I used a little piece of washcloth and swabbed all around underneath the counters and under the two tables and after a couple days did it again. I thought a brush might slop around too much.

We thought of replacing the countertops but we live in it and don't have access to a workshop. We just spent TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS on slide repairs and are in no mood to spend much more. I have read here on the forum, someone did a beautiful job with a solid surface material.

I think what is beating up the silicone is the sink cover. But we can't do without it.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Oh boy, we got out all the silicone and applied the Lexel. I think it's too late however. The contact paper is loose and buckling in a couple areas.

White marble Formica sounds great and to coordinate, there is the bathroom counter, the dinette table and the little table. We can't do this ourselves, I am pretty sure.

#MoneyPit

Happy Easter everyone!!
Old 04-15-2020, 01:16 AM   #18

Give it some investigation. Really, replacing counter top is pretty darn easy.
Disconnecting plumbing, unscrewing the sink fasteners and removing the sink and faucet. Unscrew the countertop from the cabinets and carry it out.

Measure the new counter top, Place painters tape where you need to cut the end, cut it. Place it on the counter. Use a template to mark where your sink needs to be, put down painters tape again on the cut line (this is to keep the formica from chipping). Drill a large hole in the middle of the sink and then use a jig saw to cut your sink line.

Remove tape, screw the counter top into the cabinet, install the sink and faucet and hook your plumbing connections back up.

Seems like a lot because I went into detail but 1 handy person (you have to have one in the family if it's not one of you) and a helper or two can do this between lunch and dinner if you have everything bought and on hand.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #19
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I have complete faith in my husband’s ability to do this. I probably could, I’m pretty handy actually.
And if my husband did it, it would last to the end of time.

But... the aesthetics of it all. He is in no way a finish carpenter. And we live in it, no workshop or place to do it.

Maybe we’ll rent a house for a while (this thing is getting smaller and smaller as we are more restricted) and then we can take this on. We just paid a lot for a slide thing we could have done if we had a place and tools.

Thank you for your faith in us! You’re inspiring me!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #20

Sealer

Hello, I've been down this road a couple of times with my RV kitchen sink. Tried a few different products that ultimately didn't hold up very well. I went ahead and tried the clear Flex Shot by Flex Seal, and it's holding up great now for about six months. It's easy to use and found in most stores. Hope this helps

JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, sink