Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Trailer Life Newbie

Cement blocks

Hey all. My sister keeps calling me, almost daily, to tell me things her DH says I need to buy. I have just purchased my first travel trailer (Salem 37 footer) and am trying to get as prepared as possible before my delivery date of 4/17. LOL, like a baby!

Today it was cement blocks. It irks me that my BIL doesn't just call me himself because of course we women don't always get the technical aspects right. She just said he said "you need cement blocks for leveling and so it doesn't sink".

What the? Um, what size blocks? How many? Will the delivery team be putting these in place?

Ack!I'm feeling nervous, but luckily
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Cardinal 04 31LE

Of course no expert here.... but the first question that comes to mind is are you setting your rig up in a seasonal site or are you keeping it mobile taking it from site to site throghout the season?
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Trailer Life Newbie

Mr. B, it will be at a permanent seasonal site. Hopefully never to be moved again, at least not while I own it!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Cardinal 04 31LE

Use of Concrete blocks

Well i will start over again, as i just accidently ERASED EVERYTHING i typed.

First of all my comments do not come from any expert experience, i have never owned a seasonal unit. However i have paid attention to many campers in many parks that are set up on seasonal lots. Some use concrete blocks while others simply use their crank down jacks. I would think something more than the crank downs would work better.

First of all, check with the owners or managers of the park for suggestions and assistance. Assuming you are permitted to use concrete blocks I suggest: Use 8" x 16" concrete blocks on at least the four outer corners of the rig, placing them under the frame rails of the camper. IF ALLOWED Prepare the base by removing the soils at least 12 inches deep compacting CR6 stone in the newly created hole. This compaction should be done in 2 inch lifts using a hand tamp. Once the base is prepared and level, the blocks would be set, you may have to use another concrete slab block (i don't know the name of these) or a half block 4" x 16" to get close to the hieght desired. The last few inches can be reached by using a 2"x6" x 16" salt treated board with shims to make the final adjustments.

Using this approach you should have very little settlement HOWEVER, i am almost certain there will be settlement over time which will require additional adjustment of the shims from time to time.

An additional thought is the sanitation line. I see many permanent or semi-permanent trailers set up on seasonal sites use the 3" or 4" PVC pipe in place of the typical sanitation line. OF COURSE you will need to check with the park owner and the health regs before proceeding. AND you will need something to support the pipe, you may have to install an J Trap in the line also. I would think the use of the PVC pipe is preferred because the deterioation from sunlight can occur with the temporary lines typically used.

Welcome, good luck and you will have many great memories forthcoming.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Your BIL is probably refering to either 4"x8"x16" or 4"x16"x16" foundation pads. They're solid and they're heavy.

Mr.B Has some good advise about checking with the park management about what they allow. They may have specific requirements that you have to follow. They'll be able to inform you about the sewer requirements as well.