Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Circuit board blowing/melting fuses

I have a 2019 Palomino Puma 381FTB 5th Wheel Toy hauler. I'm having an issue with the refrigerator, Everchill RV Refrigerator w/ Freezer - 10 Cu Ft - 12V - Stainless Steel, blowing fuses. About a month ago I noticed my refrigerator was not working so I checked the fuse and notices it was blown. So I replaced the fuse with anther 15 amp and just over the weekend I noticed again that the refrigerator wasn't working. Only this time when I checked the fuse it was completely melted. I'm currently under factory warranty for another few months but local dealers will not call me back because I didn't buy from them. But they did tell me once my factory warranty ends and my aftermarket kicks in that they will work on my trailer. I guess since I bought from another dealership, 800 miles away due to them selling it for $15,000 cheaper, this local dealer is mad. Anyways the closest dealer that will work on it is over 100 miles away, Houston, TX. So I moved the power wire from the the location the fuse burnt to another open fuse location. So far I have had no issues. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their everchill refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	242096   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	242097  
Repoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman1 View Post
I have a 2019 Palomino Puma 381FTB 5th Wheel Toy hauler. I'm having an issue with the refrigerator, Everchill RV Refrigerator w/ Freezer - 10 Cu Ft - 12V - Stainless Steel, blowing fuses. About a month ago I noticed my refrigerator was not working so I checked the fuse and notices it was blown. So I replaced the fuse with anther 15 amp and just over the weekend I noticed again that the refrigerator wasn't working. Only this time when I checked the fuse it was completely melted. I'm currently under factory warranty for another few months but local dealers will not call me back because I didn't buy from them. But they did tell me once my factory warranty ends and my aftermarket kicks in that they will work on my trailer. I guess since I bought from another dealership, 800 miles away due to them selling it for $15,000 cheaper, this local dealer is mad. Anyways the closest dealer that will work on it is over 100 miles away, Houston, TX. So I moved the power wire from the the location the fuse burnt to another open fuse location. So far I have had no issues. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue with their everchill refrigerator.
Sadly this is a reality in the RV world.

Obvious solution to this problem is to either wait until your "aftermarket warranty" kicks in or use some of the money you saved to tow it to the Dealer you purchased it from.

Another solution would be to contact Forest River and see if they will authorize a warranty repair by a Mobile RV Service in your local area.

Until the RV industry adopts the same warranty practices as the automotive industry (voluntarily or by law) this will also be a problem. Warranty reimbursements are notoriously low compared to the cost of providing the service by the Dealer. I can understand why a local Dealer would refuse to provide warranty service on a unit he made NO profit on that would help offset his costs.

If everyone finding themselves in this situation were to write a letter to their Representative(s) in WA, D.C. perhaps it could change. Otherwise it's just like shouting in the dark.

In closing, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out the reality of this situation which many RV purchasers face when seeking lower prices out of state. As it stands, there is a cost to this.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have thought about contacting Forest River about a mobile service unit coming out. I know on their warranty work it says the owner would be liable for any charges for the mobile service unit coming out and they would cover the warranty on the item. I don't mind paying for a mobile unit for showing up because I'd get my trailer back quicker than it sitting at a dealership for months on end.
Repoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Team

From your description of the issue and the pictures of the fuse terminals, I'd say that the fuse terminal is the problem and not the fridge. Especially since you moved it to a different location and it hasn't blown again.

I'd contact the mfg of that panel and see what they say.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Might try an inline fuse from an auto store. This would bypass the melted fuse.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #6

I have had to call Forest River for a few different issues and they have been extremely helpful in guiding me to one of their local shops that are on their dealer list and they took care of me right away.
I am in Florida and bought mine from a dealer in Ohio. Give them a call especially since you are still under warranty!
Badboat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #7

So there's lots of issues that could cause this problem but one question back to you. When the fuse holder melted was the fuse also blown? Sometimes poor contact between the fuse and the fuse holder can cause excessive heat causing it to melt the holder. If I'm not mistaken your 12v fridge draws upwards of 8-9 amps at start up and about 3 amps to keep temp. Well below the max 15 amp line and fuse. Another question is how long was the refrigerator working before it blew the first time? Did you travel on unusual bumpy roads both times it had issues? By switching to another 15 amp fuse you could be setting yourself up by overloading that fuse now and could not only cause more issues but the shear fact of you switching the refrigerator over to another line yourself could void the warranty. I'd follow the suggestions to call FR directly tell them what happen and what the closes dealer said without mentioning the fact you moved the line to another fuse. See if they'll authorize a mobile tech. Or perhaps another dealer close to you. The could be an underlining issue with the refrigerator given time could become a latent failure that could be self induced. Just my thoughts. Thanks.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have thought about contacting Forest River about a mobile service unit coming out. I know on their warranty work it says the owner would be liable for any charges for the mobile service unit coming out and they would cover the warranty on the item. I don't mind paying for a mobile unit for showing up because I'd get my trailer back quicker than it sitting at a dealership for months on end.
Contact Forest River and the reefer manufacturer.

Also look for an independent RT repair shop near you . Most of them are good at getting authorization to do warranty repairs from the manufacturer.

They usually do better work than the dealership anyway.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #9

I agree with DouglasReid 100 percent!!!

Tags
fuse