Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

CO leak in 15 Vibe

We brought our Vibe back into the dealer last October after the CO detector went off. They couldn't find a problem. This weekend, we were prepping and turned the heat on. It went off again. We brought in a digital. It is randomly reading high - around 45 - 50 and then drops down to 0. It is not constant. Any ideas why and any ideas how I make sure the dealer actually fixes it this time? Thank you!
Lm2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

I noticed in our old trailer that the CO detector (which was one we had put in there) would go off when all 6 of us were sleeping when we weren't running a/c or heat. Seemed that those 6 bodies would work up enough co in a small enough area to cause an issue. I am wondering if that is the case for you. I know you said when the furnace is running, but I wonder if you could simulate a test in the same environment but without the furnace to see if that is your issue. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

No one is in the camper now. Think I should shut everything off and see what happens?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #4

Could be several things. Crack in heat box on furnace letting exhaust and fumes in. Propane burns clean that may be why your only getting this on start up. Also could be bad seal that is letting exhaust come back into unit.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

Humans don't emit carbon monoxide. They do, however, emit "other gases" which I've heard will set the detector off (so do pets that sleep too close to the detector). Most TT gas detectors also sense propane, so it is dangerous to ignore them. Also difficult, since the piercing screech will make one do drastic things. Ours goes off from time to time - really annoying!
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Was the CO detector sensing CO or was it a voltage issue? The LED indicator by the way how the light was flashing should tell you.
If it was cycling Red/Green it was voltage, not CO.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #7

Check your battery.
Our refer quit and the furnace would not ignite, (LP safety feature) all in the middle of the night due to battery drain. Then as we got back in bed the CO2 detector went off.
We replaced the unit and it went off again with no heat: The refer defrost heat strip lower the battery charge and set it off. I put a switch the defrost heat strip circuit and now we can go 2 or 3 nights before the battery gets low.
Running the LP furnace blower will kill the battery in about 6 hours, and trigger the LP safety cutout.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Check vents for furnace and refrigerator for obstructions, perhaps rodents or insects have plugged them. Keep both detectors if recent, make sure you use proper fresh battery as in manual to keep warranty going. They do need to be replaced, but if two are properly placed and going off keep looking for problem until you resolve it.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

If you can, go to manufacturer of co alarm (Kidde?) and run down there check list for your models
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
I noticed in our old trailer that the CO detector (which was one we had put in there) would go off when all 6 of us were sleeping when we weren't running a/c or heat. Seemed that those 6 bodies would work up enough co in a small enough area to cause an issue. I am wondering if that is the case for you. I know you said when the furnace is running, but I wonder if you could simulate a test in the same environment but without the furnace to see if that is your issue. Good luck.
Carbon monoxide CO. Is a killer. Do not kid yourself in to thinking otherwise. Co2 may be a byproduct of too many people in the space, but CO is a byproduct of combustion . It is odoess, colorless and FATAL. YOU FALL SLEEP AND SIMPLY DO NOT WAKE UP. YOU DIE. DO NOT SECOND GUESS IT. CHANGE TO A NEW SENSOR. IF IT GOES OFF SIMLY DO NOT SLEEP THERE.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

I posted my update in a new thread. Sorry! We actually had no outside vent to the furnace. I guess Forest River forgot to install it. They came and did a house call yesterday. We have brought it to the dealer before and they couldn't figure out why it was going off. PLEASE DO NOT BLOW OFF AN ALARM! if we had disconnected it and assumed it was the alarm on a new camper we would all be dead.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #12

Also, people breathe out carbon dioxide. Not carbon monoxide so don't let anyone tell you that either. It's a different chemical altogether.

Tags
leak, vibe