Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

CO / Propane alarm going off

We have a Mini-lite 2504s that is 3 seasons old. We have been having an issue where the Propane alarm (not CO, accd to directions they make different noises) will go off in the middle of the night fairly consistently if we do not run the exhaust fan all night long. I have run a sniffer over every propane line and detected no leaks and we also have never had the smell of propane in the trailer. I have read mention of other items (dog farts, hairspray, cleaner, etc..) setting it off but this is so consistent I am skeptical of that being the cause. I did get a reading on the gas sniffer when I put it in the toilet bowl, there was standing water and the bowl does hold water (seal does not seem to be leaking). Is it possible that some gas from the black tank is getting through there and building up in the night causing the alarm to sound? Is it just a faulty alarm? Or does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences that could help me troubleshoot this further?

I am ready to buy another alarm and swap them but thought I'd ask before taking that step.

Thank you in advance.
Ebills4595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Site Team

What's the condition of the battery? Common cause of this is a low battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #3

I will have the batteries tested and see if that may be the culprit. It hadn't occurred to me to check as this happens when connected to shore power as well, but thank you for the idea.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebills4595 View Post
I will have the batteries tested and see if that may be the culprit. It hadn't occurred to me to check as this happens when connected to shore power as well, but thank you for the idea.
Have them tested with a hydrometer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

Is that a combination co/propane? If it is pull it and check the date on the back. Mine was doing this and it was 2 years old. Replaced with a new one and only goes off if the door is open and a car is running next to the door with the exhaust pointing in that direction.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #6

I also have a 2504s and its a 2015 model. I replaced my first one after a year old, of course it went off at 0300 and I had to cut the wires to shut if off. At the time it was parked at home and plugged in. Replaced it and about 18 months later, same scenario. Called my buddy with the FD and they came out to sniff, nothing found. I've given up on those and now have one that is plugged in as I never boondock and have access to power. Thats the route I chose and I'm much more confident it will work if I need it.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Yes, it is the combination unit. I will check the date and my plan was to replace if I didn't have any other ideas from people anyway. It just seems really odd to me that it is a pattern. It makes me think there is more to it than the faulty sensor. (i.e. it will alarm in the middle of the night pretty much consistently unless I leave the fan running, in which case it will not go off) Thank you for the responses.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Did you check the blinking pattern? Mine goes off occasionally and there a pattern to its blinking. It will tell you what is setting it off (for me it is usually low battery voltage)
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiken View Post
Did you check the blinking pattern? Mine goes off occasionally and there a pattern to its blinking. It will tell you what is setting it off (for me it is usually low battery voltage)
I am going to have the batteries tested to make sure it isn't a voltage issue but according to the documentation for the alarm, a low voltage alarm will beep every 15 seconds and alternate between red and green blinking. When mine goes off it is behaving consistently with the explosive gas alarm.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Other things will set them off also.
Dog farts for an example.
Hair spray is a big one too but certainly not in the middle of the night.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

The combination CO/LPG detector is a problem child. Supposed to last 5 years. Mine pooped out at the two year mark for my trailer and just under 4 from date of manufacturer.

I solved my problem by replacing it with separate units. An LPG detector in the old unit's position and a battery operated CO/Smoke Detector on the ceiling.

LPG is heavier than air so the detector should be close to the floor. CO is lighter than air and ceiling mounted is best.

In the process I also ended up with a better smoke detector that doesn't go off whenever opening the oven door after just pre-heating the empty oven.

This way if either fails or reaches the end of it's service life, issuing the annoying beeps, I don't have to replace the expensive combination unit. I get a new CO/Smoke detector or a new LPG detector. Price of the individual units ended up costing me close to what a combination unit would so it wasn't an expensive upgrade.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The combination CO/LPG detector is a problem child. Supposed to last 5 years. Mine pooped out at the two year mark for my trailer and just under 4 from date of manufacturer.

I solved my problem by replacing it with separate units. An LPG detector in the old unit's position and a battery operated CO/Smoke Detector on the ceiling.

LPG is heavier than air so the detector should be close to the floor. CO is lighter than air and ceiling mounted is best.

In the process I also ended up with a better smoke detector that doesn't go off whenever opening the oven door after just pre-heating the empty oven.

This way if either fails or reaches the end of it's service life, issuing the annoying beeps, I don't have to replace the expensive combination unit. I get a new CO/Smoke detector or a new LPG detector. Price of the individual units ended up costing me close to what a combination unit would so it wasn't an expensive upgrade.
That is a really great idea. When I get the replacement I think I will go this route. Seems like I have seen so many people having some sort of issue with these. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
propane