Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 06:18 AM   #1

Coachmen Clipper Roof Cable Mishap

Campers,

I am a new new owner of a Coachmen Clipper 128ls pop up. Yesterday I was setting it up to clean it out before our first camping trip next weekend. When raising the box on the pop up I felt some slight tension. I stopped trying to raise the box after feeling this tension and walking around to make sure I had remembered to unclip all four latches from the box. After making sure nothing was obstructing the box I proceeded to raise the roof and then felt a pop. This frankly scared the poop out of me. This time I grabbed my wife and we both gave it a 360 inspection. We couldn't find anything that looked out of the ordinary around the camper. We then continued to set it up like normal and then found the problem.

Apparently our Coachmen Clipper model has support cables in addition to the ones connected to the winch system for raising/lowering the roof. There are two white cables per bunk which help hold the beds level without using external bars to hold the beds. There are also four additional black cables on the sides of the camper. It was one of these black cables that was the culprit. One of the black cables on the passenger side (or side that the pop up camper door is on) got caught on the bar end of the bed and bent it when raising the camper also fraying the cable and making it loose along with it's mate.

Here is a picture of the cable showing the fray

This one shows the lack of tension

And finally this picture shows the damaged bunk end

Now this problem is 100% my fault, I don't want to claim a warranty or something. I did this myself and accept the problem. The bunk still slides in and out fine so I don't want to mess with trying to replace the rail. Want I really want to know is will those two black cables on the side mess anything up by not having tension in them? If so is there a place I can order them from and just replace them?
Camping_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Don’t worry about it just make sure when you lower the roof visually inspect where the cables are laying and when you raise it up check where they are at also by the way what dealer did you purchase your 128 LS at? Email that back to me if you would

Ps just put some electrical tape over the rough spot in the cable and you should be ok

Clipperguy
Clipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipperguy View Post
Don’t worry about it just make sure when you lower the roof visually inspect where the cables are laying and when you raise it up check where they are at also by the way what dealer did you purchase your 128 LS at? Email that back to me if you would

Ps just put some electrical tape over the rough spot in the cable and you should be ok

Clipperguy

Thanks again Clipperguy! This time when we lowered the roof we put a small towel around that bed rail end so the cable wouldn't get stuck on it again. Before we did the final lower of the box we looked in and the black cable was nowhere near it. It must have been bad luck that it got stuck.

Emailing you the dealer info now. They were super helpful with everything but since the problem happened yesterday after they were closed I didn't want to wait until Monday if I needed to order something to fix it.
Camping_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, coachmen, roo, roof