Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Coleman A/C Capacitor Replacement...

Thought I would share an experience I suffered when my Rockwood Roo 233S Coleman A/C didn't seem to be working. The fan would blow perfectly but no cooling was occurring.

My guess was the Start &/or Run Capacitors probably had seen the end of their life, I was after all turning past the 7 year mark of use, so up to the roof I went for a closer look... The following pictures SHOULD tell the story just fine!

Cover bolts;

Naked AC unit;

Capacitor Door;

well, by George i believe THAT was clearly the problem!

I removed the mud dauber nest, with all power removed from the trailer and the AC breaker opened and the AC thermostat/control fuse pulled....the next step was for safety, shorting the capacitors (Mine actually had no charge and were already dead thanks to that pile of mud!

In the bottom of the cabinet was the problem, what I believe was meant to be a drain hole in case water got in, was a nice place for the bees to migrate inside instead;

I used some AC Duct/Foil tape because its really sticky and I cut a hole in the center of it putting some hobby screen across like so;

Stuck that on the bottom to allow the hole to still exist but keep the bugs out like this;

I just replaced my brand new caps for the old ones, one wire at a time so I could replicate exactly how it was hooked up. Tied everything back in there with the anchor strap nice and cozy. Put the thermostat/control fuse back in place, closed the AC breaker, hooked power back up to the rig, turned the thermostat onto cool and dropped the temp to the bottom AND presto-change-oh, I now have a perfectly functional AC unit again...just in time for the 90 degree Florida weather too!!

IF anyone is looking, my local RV dealer was no help at all "I will have to order those...." This IS a Florida RV dealer too, you would THINK they would have AC caps ON HAND!! ;-)

I found a PERFECT (both price, availability & FAST shipping at Dyers RV 4122 W Innovative Dr STE 105 Phoenix, AZ 85086 (RV Supplies, RV Accessories, RV Parts, Camper Parts, 5th Wheel Hitch)

Happy Camping all!
Attached Images

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
IF anyone is looking, my local RV dealer was no help at all "I will have to order those...." This IS a Florida RV dealer too, you would THINK they would have AC caps ON HAND!! ;-)
Pretty much SOP in this day and age of overnight delivery via UPS/Fedex,

Why stock something, tying up your money, when you can get it within a business day or so from a distributor?

Every new model that comes along of just about anything one might repair requires a whole new batch of spare parts that need to be stocked. For some reason nobody wants to standardize and simplify the whole mess.

I remember when, in the automotive business, gas stations stocked four sizes of passenger tire and two sizes of light truck tire. Those handled almost every car or pickup that came in.

About the only thing one can expect a Dealer to have in stock today are maintenance items.

As for capacitors, Amazon has an amazing number of them available and often with next day delivery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

SO Right

You hit the nail on the head Titan Mike!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement