Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 04:46 PM   #1

Coleman Mach 15 not level?

So I was on the roof the other day and I noticed my ac level. It’s a Coleman Mach 15k btu unit. The front metal base is higher than the rear. I looked and the install manual and read about the tabs. When I checked to see if the tabs where they’re supposed to be, I noticed no tabs. So I am not sure if the front is loose. Now when the air does come on I notice a vibration in the trailer. Here is a pic of the ac on the roof. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5416.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	268012

So does this look normal or should I tighten down the front bolts? I wish coleman used torque specifications instead of visual tabs.
getastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getastro View Post
So I was on the roof the other day and I noticed my ac level. It’s a Coleman Mach 15k btu unit. The front metal base is higher than the rear. I looked and the install manual and read about the tabs. When I checked to see if the tabs where they’re supposed to be, I noticed no tabs. So I am not sure if the front is loose. Now when the air does come on I notice a vibration in the trailer. Here is a pic of the ac on the roof. Attachment 268012

So does this look normal or should I tighten down the front bolts? I wish coleman used torque specifications instead of visual tabs.
Doesn't have to be level . your unit looks good as is . you can tighten the hold down bolts if you feel it's loose .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Doesn't have to be level . your unit looks good as is . you can tighten the hold down bolts if you feel it's loose .

Thanks, just was not sure since you see a lot more of the gasket in the front. Not looking for any issues with leaking.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Had you recently had the roof coated? (looks shiny clean compared to the A/C cover)

If so and someone removed the A/C for sealing, they may not have tightened it even. Was a new seal used? Does it leak? What made you notice this just now?

Maybe none of this even applies? Just trying to know the whole story.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Had you recently had the roof coated? (looks shiny clean compared to the A/C cover)

If so and someone removed the A/C for sealing, they may not have tightened it even. Was a new seal used? Does it leak? What made you notice this just now?

Maybe none of this even applies? Just trying to know the whole story.

I recently re-coated the roof, I did not remove the a/c. I was thinking about replacing it with a mini split system. I have decided to hold off on that because of the price of the copper. It does not leak, just was not sure if that slight slope was normal.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:46 PM   #6

Go inside?

Quote:
I recently re-coated the roof, I did not remove the a/c. I was thinking about replacing it with a mini split system. I have decided to hold off on that because of the price of the copper. It does not leak, just was not sure if that slight slope was normal.
The hold-down bolts are not supposed to real tight. The spec often is to compress the foam gasket to 1/2 its original thickness. You could check by giving each bolt 1/8 turn and see if they appear to be equally tight.

To be a little more rigorous, go on the roof and see if the gasket appears to be compressed to the same size on all sides.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The hold-down bolts are not supposed to real tight. The spec often is to compress the foam gasket to 1/2 its original thickness. You could check by giving each bolt 1/8 turn and see if they appear to be equally tight.

To be a little more rigorous, go on the roof and see if the gasket appears to be compressed to the same size on all sides.

Thanks for the reply, I know for a fact the gasket is not compressed equally all the way around. It is more compressed in the back of the unit then in the front.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that AC is going to leak eventually.

The foam gaskets can not be reused if they are removed and when a new one is installed it must be torqued evenly until the yellow torque tabs just contact the roof.

See attached photos.

Overtorqued AC seals will not allow the seal to conform to the roof material properly and eventally water will work its way through the gaps in the seal until there is a path for water intrusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000504.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	268049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000505.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	268050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000503.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	268051  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Water Leaks.pdf (343.4 KB, 10 views)
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that AC is going to leak eventually.

The foam gaskets can not be reused if they are removed and when a new one is installed it must be torqued evenly until the yellow torque tabs just contact the roof.

See attached photos.

Overtorqued AC seals will not allow the seal to conform to the roof material properly and eventally water will work its way through the gaps in the seal until there is a path for water intrusion.

I did not remove the ac, it’s still up there from the factory. The tabs are missing so I can’t tell if the front is torqued correctly. That’s the issue
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I did not remove the ac, it’s still up there from the factory. The tabs are missing so I can’t tell if the front is torqued correctly. That’s the issue
If it's been that way from the start and hasn't leaked in all these years, why mess with it? Just because it looks funky, it doesn't appear you've mentioned it being a leaking an issue. Am I missing something?

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman