Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Composite Floor Repair Video

Hello,

I came across this video on YouTube. It covers a repair to composite floors that FR occasionally uses on some of its units. It is a floor constructed with luan/foam/luan that many people find is problematic if you have water or excess moisture get into the flooring. Apparently the luan between the foam center and the vinyl flooring has trouble breathing and drying out. This can cause it to breakdown and rot.

My previous pop up had this type of floor. I am glad my new pop up has a standard plywood floor. I think plywood would be an easier fix.

Anyway. I wanted to share this with this community as it shows many great photo shots of the actual composite floor construction. Enjoy.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

Thats a good vid. Its a good platform to build off of in terms of how to do this. I got through the first 10 minutes and have some suggestions. Instead of the lap joints, i would just keep the shaved 2x 4s all the way across the frame without weakening by those joints. Keep them on 16" centers or probably 12" due to the distance across the frame rails and the fact they are shaved to thickness. On 12" center then you might stay with the original 3/8" floor thickness. For the step support, forget about getting it off the floor. I run support off the frame of the trailer. So the back side of the step entends to the frame. Even if the front side lacks support, you can do it all off the frame with just a little deflection. Or, position the 2x4s where they catch the step and run across the frame rails. I watch the rest later and share any thing else I see...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

well I made it. pretty lengthy. around 25 minutes in he encounters no support for the floor in front of the sink. this is where I usually go under the floor and add steel between the frame rails if possible. i prefer one piece vinyl membrane as well. I'll look at some more vids when I get a chance and post something I think is better if I get a chance. I was worried about his lap joints in his floor joists. It did sound a little squeaky as he walked on the final product. I think one piece floor joists across the entire floor would be much better...especially at 1 1/4" thick.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair