Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #1

Continuous blown fuse

I have a 2 y/o GeoPro 19 and a 15 amp circuit trips whenever we’re on the road. I’ve had to keep a dozen or so on hand. Shore power seems to bypass the problem.
The circuit is #3 on my panel labeled appliances. I lose my main panel that controls lights, awning, refrigerator, circ pump and water heater. Batteries are new, no mods to the camper that could affect electricals. There is nothing running when the fuse blows. Inverter checks out okay.
We are halfway through a trip between coasts. I do carry a meter and can do very basic diagnostics.
Czarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

For 12v fuses, if they're blowing immediately then you have something that is shorting it out or trying to use too much power.

You're going to need to try and track it down.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #3

I wish it would fail immediately, it would be much simpler to hone in on the problem. But it fails while we’re driving and seemingly nothing is pulling any amps. Though perhaps I have a vibration issue that is causing the short.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

And the short is happening when you are on the road, because whatever is short circuiting is jiggling around in transit until it creates short.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Yeah, I just got there too. Will make it harder to eliminate specific things. Though the main panel is suspect, as the other items all have that common control.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Likely a pinched wire or a staple or fastener thru a wire and the vibration of travel cause it to short. Pull the fuse and determine what it protects, then you have a better idea of which wires to trace. To be safe until you find it, I would remove the fuse prior to travel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #7

That’s a great idea. I have a fairly good idea what’s on the circuit. I’ll disconnect from shore power and start rattling the possible offenders.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #8

I would suspect t the problem is not dependent on the shore power being connected or disconnected, it sounds to me like you have a wire someplace that is resting against a metal piece of the trailer and it is being pinched when the trailer flexes as you go down the road. It sounds to me like you have a lot of detective work ahead of you to find it unless you can get access to look over all of the wires that this fuse protects and we all know how unlikely it is to see them easily.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
Geo Pro Owner

I'm having the same problem on my GeoPro. This summer I took a three week trip and it started about a week in. Have had the trailer for three years. If you find a place where the wire is pinched let me know because I feel like I have looked everywhere and no luck. I took it in to the RV technician and they couldn't find anything either. If the fuse blew all the time it would be easy to find, but it only blows when driving.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #10

Determine what is on this circuit. Disconnect items and test individual circuits. Reconnect 1 at a time until the faulty source is found. or rewire all items on that circuit....
Good Luck
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse