Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #1

Controlling Exhaust Smell, CO, and Some Noise from Portable Generator

Late last season I installed a Generator mount on the rear bumper of my travel trailer for convenience.

Works great but there was always the worry about CO infiltrating the trailer with the generator running so close as well as just ordinary exhaust smell.

Here's the setup:

Started looking at solutions. Unloading generator and using a long extension cord at every stop didn't appeal to me so I started looking at the GenTuri system. Problem is, it is made to be used on larger exhaust pipes than are used on 3500 W generators. The small generators also don't come with much exhaust pipe extending from their enclosure.

Started looking around and I found this on Amazon:

This extension provides a 1" OD stub extending from my generators "case".

Now to add the GenTuri kit. The kit is well thought out. You start by installing an adapter on the exhaust pipe that allows you to quickly attach or remove the "elbow" which is connected to the "Venturi" and stack by merely slipping it on and securing with a pin/clip. However, the smallest pipe the supply adapter sleeves for is too large for the exhaust extension I have no installed on the generator. Solution was to merely buy a 3/4" Rigid Conduit Coupler for a couple bucks at Home Depot. It was a really snug fit. So snug I actually had to apply anti-seize to the outside of the coupler and press it into the adapter sleeve for the GenTuri using a vise.

I now screwed the adapter onto the generator exhaust outlet, installed the Genturi itself, and attatched the rubber "bungee" supports to my rear ladder.

The bungee support straps take all the weight off the exhaust stub (about 8-9# and let the entire assembly float just like the generator itself does in it's motor mounts. The rubber keeps any movement from transmitting noise to the inside of the trailer.

Here's the installed unit:

End result is that any exhaust gases are now discharged above my trailer where air circulation causes it to dissipate. Any smell or CO is no longer discharged at ground level where anyone around will smell it or be affected by the CO. A side bonus is a slight reduction in noise. Generator is rated by Champion at 59 dba.

Here's a noise reading taken from 25' away and directly behind the trailer while the AC was on and cooling the inside:

A note, the generator is running with the end of the trailer being a huge sound reflector. When off to the side or in front, the sound of the running generator much less. Might add some sound deadening material between generator and trailer while running. Maybe some egg-crate acoustical foam glued to a board I can slip in and take out as needed.

The sound meter is using the Z scale which has no weighting. Since the predominate frequency of the generator is in the 2,000-4000 hz range.

"A" weighting (dba) would add 1.2 decibels to the reading at 2,000 hz and only 1 at 4,000 hz. This would correspond with the engine speeds with Eco ON or Eco OFF.

In summary this won't be for everyone. Some will still want to remove their generator and place is away from their Trailer when using it. Some might be interested in this setup so that when they stop for lunch at a rest area or are boondocking all they need to do to have electricity is start the generator and plug in. The "stack" is so easy to install or remove, and stores neatly in a bag, I intend to remove it whenever I am on the move. Last time I set it up (for the pic's) it took less than 2 minutes and that included unpacking from bag.

A note for those who think my rear bumper will fall off, I took the precaution of installing the Safety Struts. Platform is rated by it's manufacturer to safely hold up to "200 foot pounds". I can hang 100 lbs from the outside end or place 200 lbs on the center of the platform which is 1 foot from the bumper. Generator, with full tank, weighs around 110# (and at 76 I can still lift it on or off )

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nice set up. At least you HAVE a rear bumper!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, noise