Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #1

coverter breaker trips immediately

hi all!
my utility converter breaker trips immediately. Im a total newbie. Does my rv need a battery or at least a good working battery? Im always hooked up to power at home...
thx in advance!
marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Your converter will supply 12V and 110V whether you have a battery or not. If your battery is removed make sure the cables are not touching anything or that your disconnect switch is open. something is causing a short. let the forum know what you find
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon View Post
hi all!

my utility converter breaker trips immediately. Im a total newbie. Does my rv need a battery or at least a good working battery? Im always hooked up to power at home...

thx in advance!
Can't answer much if you don't provide year, make and model number of RV you're asking about.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #4

First step is to properly reset the breaker. Full off, then back to on.

Have you changed any wires, installed anything? Hooking a battery backwards normally blows converter fuses.

Get your screwdriver, voltmeter and flashlight ready. Expose the converter.

If the converter did not come on it is time to put eyes on the device. Look for damage. Black soot. Check all wires. At the battery too.

It has to be the breaker, converter or battery. Not sure if a truly dead battery will do this.

Power off, unplug the converter from the 110 outlet. Power back on. If the breaker does break it is the breaker. Yes they fail.

Power off disconnect one wire from the battery. See if the converter will come on.

If not, likely the converter is shot. Easy replacement.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Power off disconnect one wire from the battery. See if the converter will come on.

If not, likely the converter is shot. Easy replacement.
Even easier if you just buy the Mother Board Assembly (MBA) and only replace that part.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Even easier if you just buy the Mother Board Assembly (MBA) and only replace that part.
Where would you get the motherboard assembly only? Let's say I have the WFCO 8995, pretty common. If I wanted to replace the converter it is 3 AC wires, 2 DC wires, and two screws. If I was going to replace the motherboard only, I would have to do all those steps anyway, then remove the board from the converter housing, install the new board into the converter housing, then do all the converter install steps anyway. And that is if I could even find a WFCO 8995 board and not just the entire converter.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #7

Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Where would you get the motherboard assembly only? Let's say I have the WFCO 8995, pretty common. If I wanted to replace the converter it is 3 AC wires, 2 DC wires, and two screws. If I was going to replace the motherboard only, I would have to do all those steps anyway, then remove the board from the converter housing, install the new board into the converter housing, then do all the converter install steps anyway. And that is if I could even find a WFCO 8995 board and not just the entire converter.
Sorry to confuse you, commander. It's about terminology. In the converter industry, the manufacturers refer to a fully-populated board without the case and distribution board as a Mother Board Assembly. In fact, I think the WFCO part number is 8955-MBA. It is saves you quite a few dollars. The Progressive Dynamics replacement also has an MBA offering with MBA in the part number, designed to fit in the WFCO case as a plug and play replacement.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon View Post
hi all!
thx in advance!
You say that the breaker marked 'Utility' is tripping immediately, so let's concentrate on that.

I think the thread got a little sidetracked with the converter talk. Most all 'Converter' breakers are labeled 'Con or Conv' so unless the converter is on the 'Utility' circuit your converter is most likely fine.

The first thing we need to know is what all is on the 'Utility' circuit? Do you know what's on that circuit?

Tags
breaker, cover