Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

Cracks in the outside walls

I have a 2014 Forest River Surveyor. We had it out over the weekend and after set up, I noticed about a 10" crack in the outside wall at the lower right oycorner of the slide out opening. Not on the slide out itself, but at the opening for the slide out. Is the common? On this particular camp site I had to jack the back of the trailer way up and almost set the tongue on the ground. Could this have caused it. Can this be repair? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
FSDonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSDonham View Post
I have a 2014 Forest River Surveyor. We had it out over the weekend and after set up, I noticed about a 10" crack in the outside wall at the lower right oycorner of the slide out opening. Not on the slide out itself, but at the opening for the slide out. Is the common? On this particular camp site I had to jack the back of the trailer way up and almost set the tongue on the ground. Could this have caused it. Can this be repair? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Pics are usually more helpful than descriptions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We've had some reports here from others of cracks in the corners of the wall where there is a slide out. As mentioned, photos would be helpful.

Having to put one end higher/lower is not uncommon and often done. Leveling side to side is important as is not twisting the frame.

Welcome to the forum, I see it is your 1st post.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210729_181615.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	260073

Name:	20210729_181624.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	260074

Name:	20210729_181633.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	260075

Name:	20210729_181722.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	260076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
pics are usually more helpful than descriptions.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
that is not normal, if you where level before operating the slide it shouldn’t have happened. What I suggest now is to drill a 1/8” hole above and below the crack, that should stop it from cracking more. Then you need to figure out if it’s the frame that caused it, it a stress crack for sure.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #6

Is this repairable without replacing the entire side?
Old 07-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
I would say so, but you need to find the root cause, such as the trailer frame as Witch Doctor suggested and many other things.

Bruce
Old 07-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
that is not normal, if you where level before operating the slide it shouldn’t have happened. What I suggest now is to drill a 1/8” hole above and below the crack, that should stop it from cracking more. Then you need to figure out if it’s the frame that caused it, it a stress crack for sure.
The "stop" hole needs to be right through the tip of the crack. The round hole distributes the tension around its periphery so the crack does not progress.

If you drill holes above and below the tip of the crack, the crack will progress right between them.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Definitely not normal, but one thing in your message stands out as a red flag. You mention that you had to jack the back way up. I hope you did not mean that literally? Did you actually "jack" the back up using some kind of jacks or the stabilizers? If so, that could be the cause of your problem. You should get the trailer level but adjusting the tongue jack, then using the stabilizers to stabilize, not bear any significant weight. If you actually jacked on the frame anywhere other than near the axles, the frame will flex dramatically and likely cause the problem you are seeing. The frames are light and are not designed to bear the entire weight of the trailer at one end, other than the front.

Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
and
Leisure Travel Vans U24MB
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
sure it’s repairable but you need to check that frame it if got twisted that could be a bigger problem and very expensive. If all that checks out any body shop can repair the fiberglass.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #11

Looks like a stress crack caused by movement underneath, maybe even from the frame. Inspect the frame and fix any problem first, then you could get someone to do a fiberglass repair on the crack. The material, I think, is called Filon.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack