Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #1

Damage Advice

Greetings, I rented a 2019 Hemisphere GLX from RV Share trying to test the RV Life. It was a great experience and are looking forward to buying. However I had a small accident and must have grazed a construction sign on the highway. The owner was very nice and got an estimate from Camping World, it seems really high for the small damage.

Does anyone have experience in what something like this should cost? The estimate was $1500.00! The rear panel has no damage at all.

Any feedback on what this really should cost would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_172719.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	236318  
Tfrisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #2

It sounds cheap to me. Heck you can’t hardly get a bumper cover for that anymore.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

Many would suggest getting an estimate from anyplace that is not named Camping World.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #4

That is cheap, I bumped another camper backing in to my storage spot, it was 1800 dollars and there was less damage then you have. Pay it and move on.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #5

You could always get a second estimate from a private rv repair shop. Camping World tends to be a bit high in their estimates.
It's hard to estimate from a picture, but unless you're willing to take the time to get a second estimate, you're probably stuck with a $1500 bill. Expensive lesson. Sorry. Hope you continue to rv.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the reply. Cheap? The plastic panel just has a shallow gouge and the trim piece is simply an angle piece of aluminum. All of this just glued together. I am basing my thoughts on experience with a few car damage repairs that were much worse structurally. That's why I am seeking some advice and really appreciate it. Is RV repair just mostly more expensive than automobile for similar issues?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #7

I think that repair cost of $1500 is very cheap. Must be patching that fiberglass & not replacing?
Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #8

Didn't the renter require you to be insured? That said $1500 is not out of line

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:43 PM   #9

I would call around to find a mobile RV tech that might be willing to give an estimate if the owner will not get a second estimate... the mobile RV tech will want a service charge to give an estimate... tell the owner you are willing to pay for the average of two estimates... or turn it into your insurance company...

$1500 sounds like a lot but really these days it is not... of course if it was yours, you would put on some bondo and use a spray paint can and call it good... but it is not yours...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:05 AM   #10

I would assume that insurance has to cover some of it. Also not sure how the rental contract reads, do you even get to pick repair options or request second opnions?

For patching fiberglass and matching paint plus adding trim I think $1500 is low. The picture does not show if the damage goes up to the roof line or not to know if you are working g with multiple sources or not. It looks like the back may be pulled out from what I can tell from the picture. I don't outsource a lot of my repairs and mine does not have fiberglass so not a ton of experience with it but seems to be in the ballpark to me.

My buddy had metal siding and backed into his garage in the middle of the rear end and that was $1000.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #11

Thank you all. What great information. It seems the consensus is that the cost is not out of line, but get a couple more estimates. Thanks again and looking forward to the RV lifestyle.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #12

Damage Advice

I too agree that $1500 doesn’t sound too bad but see if you can get a second estimate. Fiberglass repair of that panel will probably be the most difficult aspect of the repair.

Glad you enjoyed the RV experience. Take this opportunity to learn from your mistake and move on to purchasing your own RV.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #13

in the rv industry, and the rv TRANSPORT industry, this is known as the MOST impacted place on ANY rv - whether due to a 'new' owner not realizing the 'length' and 'tail swing' of their RV, or the transport driver not paying attention when entering/exiting fueling stations.

$1,500 is very reasonable, and probably mostly a 'minimum' charge for the time involved. These are not really 'replaceable' parts, but must be more of a 'customized' repair, as fiberglass is involved. You can't just simply unscrew something and screw something back in to replace it.

I'm glad you are taking it so well, most of us would have said that this was the 'worst' trip of our life!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote