Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Dirty Plug Ends, Tripping Breakers

Just got back from a two week trip from South Ga to Fl, SC, VA, and NC. Got to Little Talbot Island in Jacksonville Fl and after plugging in the TT we tripped the AC circuit breaker. Reset and it kept tripping, over and over again. Put the fridge and water heater on gas mode and that helped. Still tripped off and on but no problem. Plug in to the box got pretty hot. Left for VA and same thing happened. Called brother who is an electrician and he said to make sure no corosian is on the camp site plug in thirty amp breaker. Was inspecting the plug in breaker box and happened to notice my three prong plug had a very large amount of black corrosion on one leg. Took out my trusty Leatherman and filed off the offending stuff and never had another problem the entire trip. Nothing heated up and tripped a breaker. Point of this message is......look for the simple things that cause the problems first. Who woulda thought, corosian on the plug leg.
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Site Team

I use a very little bit of dielectric grease on the blades of our plug after I clean them good. It helps keep the corrosion down and makes the connection easier to make too.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

I had the same problem before and with my leatherman laying somewhere out of reach and my wife not looking i borrowed one of her handy fingernail files.
ken starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #4

It also helps to spread the blades out a little bit (look closely,they are layered) as most 30 amp outlets are worn. After i did this to mine, it doesn't heat up at the pedistle.
railrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

How did you like Little Talbot Island SP? That's about 20 miles from my house. I found that they really don't have many sites for my 30 foot trailer, and it's almost impossible to get one of those sites. We LOVE Fort Clinch State Park in Feernandina Beach. Big sites, nice new bathrooms,2 separate camping areas. Plus, the fort is very cool. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #6

We liked the island. I have a 30 footer, a SV291 Surveyer and it was really tight getting back to the site. Overall we liked it a lot.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker