Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Discolored Linoleum

Hi all. I have a question, I'm not sure if anyone has run into this before, we recently bought a 2000 fifth wheel Cherokee, and the floor is white almost everywhere, even under the cupboards, but it has turned a light brown in some spots. There was a roof leak that has now been repaired, and the floor does feel solid. I have tried bleaching it but I believe it became discolored from underneath the floor. We'd really love to not have to put in a new floor but we will if we have to. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what could have turned some of the floor brown and what if anything we can do about it? Can linoleum possibly be dyed? Three fourths of the floor is white. Is there some way to clean this linoleum? Thanks. I have attached a picture I hope it comes up!
Attached Images

OceanMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

looks like a great time to put down some nice new laminate flooring
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

the only time I have seen lanolium do that is when someone used a green scotch brite pad and cleaned the floor with it or some sort of a acid or strong cleaner stayed on it and pulled the color right out of it.

Probably gonna have to replace it like stated above
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #4

Oceanmaria: I am afraid but you will have to replace this wornt out flooring. The cheapest way to do it is to install another one over if this floor is still in good shape and not pulled up in corners. Your persent floor will have to be sanded and cleaned from all the stuff that will prevent your new floor to stick over the old one. You will have to install some mouldings on all the perimeter of your new floor like quarter round ( small ) mouldings. The most expensive solution will be to remove all the floor cabinets and start where the old flooring was installed. This is quite a major work and many of the dealers will want to do it at a resonable cost like the first idea I told you. Special glue for this type of job is avaliable to stick the new one over the old one.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We had a Keystone Litehouse years ago that had a bad seal and water got under the linoleum and it looked the same as yours. I ended up replacing the flooring with carpet to help keep the floor from being so cold most of the time. Unless you can cover it up with a few scatter rugs for the time being you'll need to replace it. There's no fix other than that. I can tell you it's quite a bit of work but well worth it once you're finished.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

You really don't want to hear this (tho the source was sketchy...) On our last trailer, the floor looked just like yours. When we traded it in, the salesman said it was from mold and it discolored from underneath. He did say this after we had done the deal, so there really wasn't any incentive for him to say that except to maybe make us feel better for buying a trailer from him. It most likely was mold since every seam on the thing was bad and it seemed to leak even on humid days!

With that said, it might make sense to pull it up and make sure everything underneath is sound.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

Discolored flooring in my experience is from water damage, My old trailer when bought had some discoloring, owned it for 8 years it eventually got worse and the floor became spongy in those areas almost to the point of floor giving out.
67Stang68 is offline   Reply With Quote