Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Do my own warranty work?

Hello,

Thanks in advance for the help I know you all will provide. Has anyone had luck getting Forest River to allow you to do your own warranty work? My 2019 26DBUD Wildwood has a bad check-valve on the water pump. I'd rather swap it out myself but after I contacted Forest River by email they said they don't send parts to customers. Any thought?

Adam
ConWood Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

I contacted the manufacturers and they sent me parts to do my own warranty repairs, I did not contact FR.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
I contacted the manufacturers and they sent me parts to do my own warranty repairs, I did not contact FR.
I don’t understand your reply.
You say you contacted the manufacturers and they sent you parts, but in the same sentence you say, you did not contact FR.
Do you have some other brand than FR?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You say you contacted the manufacturers and they sent you parts, but in the same sentence you say, you did not contact FR.
I read the post to say they contacted the manufacturer of whatever component they were working on.
Say Dometic if an awning or Suburban if water heater and so on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
I think he meant RV's are filled with parts from other manufacturers. Contact the manufacturer of the part directly...don't get FR involved.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team

I have also contacted the device mfg. and some will supply parts for their product. i.e contact suburban for parts instead of FR. The same goes for the pump. Contact whoever made the pump and see what they say. It's likely made by LCI, but it could be a ShurFlo.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #7

Contact whoever made the pump and see what they say. It's likely made by LCI, but it could be a ShurFlo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! that is a great idea
Old 11-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

Yes as others have said, I meant whomever made the broken item, contact them for parts. I did on my holding tanks display and air conditioner. Parts were sent to me with no problems. FR is just the middle man and will cause you more headaches than necessary, especially if FR decides your problem is not under warranty.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Yes as others have said, I meant whomever made the broken item, contact them for parts. I did on my holding tanks display and air conditioner. Parts were sent to me with no problems.
I've done this quite a bit.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

thanks

Thank you all for the replies! I will have the TT out this weekend and will get the manufacturer info, model number, etc so I can do just what you recommended.

I'm so glad to have this forum -- learning so much about how to enjoy our new trailer!! Thank you!!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #11

If it’s not a real expensive part, I just suck it up and pay for it. Should it be that way....no.....but sometimes it’s less trouble than spending an hour on the phone and endless emails. Jmho
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
I suppose the words "doing my own warranty repairs" could be misleading to some. The warranty is the item warranty itself from the manufacturer and not the FR warranty. Mostly it's just getting the parts directly from the manufacturer whether still warranted or not instead of trying in vain to get them from FR.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
If it’s not a real expensive part, I just suck it up and pay for it. Should it be that way....no.....but sometimes it’s less trouble than spending an hour on the phone and endless emails. Jmho
I've had a wide variety of things swapped by component manufacturers (probably a dozen now) and I've never spent an hour on the phone with any of them. Usually emails are resolved in 2-3 (what's the issue, follow-up information, and/or shipping details).

Each has been easy-squeezy.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

Warranty work

FR sent me a new tail light assembly to install. The difference, I contacted the dealer and they contacted FR. My dealer is 300 miles away from my home but I still got the part from FR and it was covered under the warranty.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #15

I would rather do my own warranty work and only go through the Dealer if it involves an expensive part.

I factor in the cost of fuel to tow my TT to the Dealer, go home, then go back at some future date to pick up the TT and tow it home.

If the part costs less than $100 I just buy it from whatever source I can and consider it as a "Convenience Fee".

So far with my new (almost) trailer my only "warranty expense" has been less than $25.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

our new Geopro19FD was and still is riddled with issues.
antenna base on roof cracked at the factory - dealership in Ohio sent me a new antenna assembly,
the bench seat drawer fell apart. I didn't need anything to fix as I had lost of screws and construction adhesive left over from house repairs.

Rockwood sent me a new cabinet door to replace the one which had the 45Degree miters coming apart.
they are also shipping me 7 more cabinet doors all doing the same.
they have sent me a cheque for the sewer support hanger which broke and I made my own and painted the metal.

the murphy bed was anchored with 2 inch screws into a 1/4 inch thick panel... (brain dead engineers and workers.) had to buy a section of plywood and a 12 inch piano hindge t make the bed area accessible. bill to be reimbursed by Rockwood.

I went to Furrion for a new power inlet as the manufacturer will not ship out electrical items (dealer ship to only) Furrion supplied part under warranty with proof of it not working - image taken. now UPS wants 24$ for importing a part which was clearly stated as warranty on the shipping custom declaration???

I went to Dometic for an awing arm bumper set reimbursement of 126$ Canadian. Dometic covered it $130 USD plus the install under their own warranty.
and I'm waiting on a new stove top which was bent all to heck.

if you get the right person you can certainly do and bill for the parts if they are covered and cannot be sent
Old 11-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #17

I had a door lock go bad in my Wolf Pup while under warranty. I contacted the dealer where I bought the Pup. They sent me a new lock assembly along with a shipping label to send the broken assembly back to them.
Mikeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConWood Farms View Post
Hello,

Thanks in advance for the help I know you all will provide. Has anyone had luck getting Forest River to allow you to do your own warranty work? My 2019 26DBUD Wildwood has a bad check-valve on the water pump. I'd rather swap it out myself but after I contacted Forest River by email they said they don't send parts to customers. Any thought?

Adam
I have a Norther Spirit 2758RB and had a number things went wrong. Contacted coachman and they sent me the parts, no issue. I had the black water tank flush check valve, the right rear brake assembly, and a USB port fail. They sent me all the parts. I even damaged one of my cabinet door and I was able to order a new one without issue from them. You should try.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchjo View Post
I have a Norther Spirit 2758RB and had a number things went wrong. Contacted coachman and they sent me the parts, no issue. I had the black water tank flush check valve, the right rear brake assembly, and a USB port fail. They sent me all the parts. I even damaged one of my cabinet door and I was able to order a new one without issue from them. You should try.
In defense of the OP, were your parts sent recently?

Forest River did recently release a bulletin stating they would no longer send parts to customers, only authorized dealers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConWood Farms View Post
Hello,

My 2019 26DBUD Wildwood has a bad check-valve on the water pump. I'd rather swap it out myself but after I contacted Forest River by email they said they don't send parts to customers. Any thought?

Adam
Isn't a bad check valve the same thing I fixed regularly, before putting a filter inline in front of the pump. Took my sureflo pump apart and found sand in valve?

Nobody mentioned JUST FIX IT.

AM I OVER SIMPLFYING?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty

« Grill | Furnace »